OT: Alternative driving routes to DC? | The Boneyard

OT: Alternative driving routes to DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next week we will be heading down to Atlanta for the semi-annual dorm move in/move out adventure. I am hoping it is the last move in and there will be a graduation next May!

This time this stranger who is masquerading as my offspring wants to go through DC so he can stop at his company's McLean, VA office. I am not a fan of I-95 at all. The NYC, Newark, Philly, Baltimore and DC area traffic make me crazy and a nervous wreck - especially since we will be traveling in multiple vehicles.

I am looking for recommendations for alternate routes. I would like to avoid the major cities on the east coast between Hartford and DC, yet still get us into DC at a reasonable time - prior to 3:30 PM, 4:00 at the latest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, I can get you started, you can take the 84 to 694 to the Tappan Zee bridge and 278 instead of 91 to the GW and 95.

Reaction Score
If you don't mine a lot of "country " roads but highways, I come back from Fl through Va, West Va, Pa and goes close to where you want to be. So going down it would be 84 to Scranton, to 81 through Harrisburg to Hagerstown , 70 to Fredrick to 270 to Mclean which is right next to Washington. 81 is like a 95 route but out in the country most of the way, even Harrisburg is very easy traffic wise..

That way you miss NY, Balt, Dc, and about $18.00 in tolls....:)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Much prettier, but it's likely 8-9 hours for you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Note that from I-270, you take the D.C. Beltway (I-495) about 12-15 miles counterclockwise/south to McLean, and exit most likely on Route 123.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Next week we will be heading down to Atlanta for the semi-annual dorm move in/move out adventure. I am hoping it is the last move in and there will be a graduation next May!

This time this stranger who is masquerading as my offspring wants to go through DC so he can stop at his company's McLean, VA office. I am not a fan of I-95 at all. The NYC, Newark, Philly, Baltimore and DC area traffic make me crazy and a nervous wreck - especially since we will be traveling in multiple vehicles.

I am looking for recommendations for alternate routes. I would like to avoid the major cities on the east coast between Hartford and DC, yet still get us into DC at a reasonable time - prior to 3:30 PM, 4:00 at the latest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This route was recommended to me some years ago by several people. My girlfriend and I take this route almost exclusively when travelling to NYC from northern VA:

I-78W out of Newark, becomes
I-81W into Harrisburg, PA

Once around Harrisburg, take I-83S, which takes a hard 'right' and goes west across the river, then look for
US HWY 15 S
Stay on 15 S all the way into Frederick, MD.

Once in Frederick, drivers on Hwy 15S can go 'straight' into the beginning of I-270S, which continues down to the DC beltway (I-495).

From there, you can choose the best exit off of the beltway for whatever part of McLean you're visiting. It is not very much longer than taking the I-95 route. I'm guessing less than half an hour more if you assume clear traffic for both routes. But I-95 is seldom clear :) Also, you save quite a bit on tolls this way.

Reaction Score
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Hubby and I will take a look at all the options this weekend. This boy had better graduate in May 2013. I am getting a little tired of this trek. In all likelihood, he will be on the left coast after he graduates and seeing as he wasn't home for more than a total of two weeks this summer, I will enjoy the drive time with him.

PS - Is it wrong that I already have plans to turn his bedroom into an office so I can work full-time from home?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Hubby and I will take a look at all the options this weekend. This boy had better graduate in May 2013. I am getting a little tired of this trek. In all likelihood, he will be on the left coast after he graduates and seeing as he wasn't home for more than a total of two weeks this summer, I will enjoy the drive time with him.

PS - Is it wrong that I already have plans to turn his bedroom into an office so I can work full-time from home?
Is flying cost-prohibitive? Or rail?

I suppose horseback is out of the question. :)

Reaction Score
Is flying cost-prohibitive? Or rail?

I suppose horseback is out of the question. :)
It is more a matter of the amount of equipment he brings home over the summer. As a computer science major and an avid road cyclist, there is much he won't put in storage down there. Plus, this summer especially this will be our only time with him. He left for the internship one week after the spring semester ended, today is his last day in the California office. He will be working for them over the fall and spring semesters this year, they are flying him out in December for the all expense paid company ski trip to Lake Tahoe and he may work a bit as well. He already has a job offer to work for them after graduation so I will take as much time to spend with my baby as i can no matter the tediousness of the trek.

And if horseback was the only option, I would walk.

Reaction Score
Heading out tomorrow at 7:30 AM. Decided to take this path:

I-84 West to I-684 in NY
I-684 to I-87/I-287 (Tappan Zee)
I-287 to Garden State Parkway
Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike (Yes, I-95)
NJ Turnpike to I-195
I-195 to I-295 (runs parallel to NJ Turnpike)
I-295 to I-95
I-95 to I-495 to McLean, VA (where we are stopping)

Not completely avoiding I-95 and a bit convoluted, but most of the other routes farther west were going to take too long. So this was the best compromise I could find.

Wish me luck!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Heading out tomorrow at 7:30 AM. Decided to take this path:

I-84 West to I-684 in NY
I-684 to I-87/I-287 (Tappan Zee)
I-287 to Garden State Parkway
Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike (Yes, I-95)
NJ Turnpike to I-195
I-195 to I-295 (runs parallel to NJ Turnpike)
I-295 to I-95
I-95 to I-495 to McLean, VA (where we are stopping)

Not completely avoiding I-95 and a bit convoluted, but most of the other routes farther west were going to take too long. So this was the best compromise I could find.

Wish me luck!

Maybe you are in bed by now, but I'll pass along the suggestion that you don't bother with I-295. It's no prettier than the Tpke, is slower and you may experience a bottleneck where you must leave the highway to briefly get on a road to Philly before returning. Just about 1/4 mile detour , but you never know.

Reaction Score
The problem with I78 west and I81 west is that they merge together east of Harrisburg, from a pair of two-lane highways into a single two-lane highway. I have, in trips to Gettysburg, spent many hours backed up on I78 waiting to merge. Accidents are also more likely to block all lanes, because there are only two. Multiple accidents on a crowded Thanksgiving weekend result in getting out of the car to get the chocolate out of your bag in the trunk, because you've been sitting on the highway with the engine off for half an hour and still have 100 miles to go.

That was also the trip where about half a dozen cars pulled to a stop to let a fire truck access a fresh accident (this was at the exit ramp for I83, the Harrisburg beltway). We sat for maybe a half minute; I know I was thinking we should maybe wait for some emergency personnel to give us the all clear to move along. We had all gotten through the merge and the I78 people would have gone through the aforementioned full stop. You could almost see the lead car go "Oh, heck no, not again" and we all maneuvered around on the opposite shoulder to get on our way.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
The Mrs. and I travel to the Carolinas numerous times during the year... As much as you may hate 95 if you pick your times to travel it can flow quite well.. Plan to hit Washington after 10AM. Most rush hour traffic will be done...

We've tried all the alternatives... 295 is not a good route because of constant construction at the southern end. Stay on the NJ Turnpike to the end.

Otherwise your route is as good as any... And better than heading west to 78 & 81...

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
More important than your journey to Atlanta is your son's journey through life -- looks like he's on a route to success. Here's to his happiness!!! And congrats to you for proving him with good direction over the last 20 years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The problem with I78 west and I81 west is that they merge together east of Harrisburg, from a pair of two-lane highways into a single two-lane highway. I have, in trips to Gettysburg, spent many hours backed up on I78 waiting to merge. Accidents are also more likely to block all lanes, because there are only two. Multiple accidents on a crowded Thanksgiving weekend result in getting out of the car to get the chocolate out of your bag in the trunk, because you've been sitting on the highway with the engine off for half an hour and still have 100 miles to go.

That was also the trip where about half a dozen cars pulled to a stop to let a fire truck access a fresh accident (this was at the exit ramp for I83, the Harrisburg beltway). We sat for maybe a half minute; I know I was thinking we should maybe wait for some emergency personnel to give us the all clear to move along. We had all gotten through the merge and the I78 people would have gone through the aforementioned full stop. You could almost see the lead car go "Oh, heck no, not again" and we all maneuvered around on the opposite shoulder to get on our way.

I remember those trips. They were, especially, exciting in winter with ice or snow.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I remember those trips. They were, especially, exciting in winter with ice or snow.

ICE - you're up too late (early?) !

I agree with both ursine 'Yarders that the merge into Harrisburg from the east can be a pain. I have typically made this approach later at night, resulting in a pleasantly uneventful passage. I do remember a horrific backup due to an accident one time, and that was around rush hour.

Reaction Score
ICE - you're up too late (early?) !

I agree with both ursine 'Yarders that the merge into Harrisburg from the east can be a pain. I have typically made this approach later at night, resulting in a pleasantly uneventful passage. I do remember a horrific backup due to an accident one time, and that was around rush hour.

Conversely, pinotbear made the trip in about 5 hours 15 minutes more than once (5:30 is a pretty good time with minor traffic). Pinotbear is also not allowed to comment on how fast I drive.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, you drive pretty reasonably. Sometimes, I get moving along pretty spritely, particularly when driving Cowboy.

I remember that Thanksgiving nightmare well. Thank goodness for cell phones!

Reaction Score
Well I guess it's too late now, but I'm with CT Yankee -- Don and I always just barge through the I-95 route during the off hours. Keep your radio tuned to NewsRadio 88 (880 on the A.M. dial) through the metro area to keep up with whether traffic dictates any alternate routes. (oh, and you might just hit the timing right and hear a Yankees game :p

Hope you have a safe trip and I'll see you at the first football game!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, you drive pretty reasonably. Sometimes, I get moving along pretty spritely, particularly when driving Cowboy.

I remember that Thanksgiving nightmare well. Thank goodness for cell phones!
Did Paul McCartney have a song about you? "Bear on the Run!"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
yeah, chasin' that "rabbitt on the ru-un!":rolleyes:
See lyrics can be tricky. You bring up the rabbit and now the lyrics are clear as ... well.... you know. Its "Bear with the Runs.!"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
See lyrics can be tricky. You bring up the rabbit and now the lyrics are clear as ... well.... you know. Its "Bear with the Runs.!"

He, he, hee Milford is missing all the fun.

Reaction Score
Made it to McLean, Va in about 7.5 hours. Adventurous ride. In CT, passed an accident that just happened, van with a "carrying school children" sign on top went off 1-84. About 10 cars were already stopped with people running to the van and two people were on phones calling 911 so we didn't stop. Saw them changing the rubber jersey barriers on the Tappan Zee to make another lane which got us moving again. On the GS Parkway came to a toll where some guy had driven his truck up the barrier and stopped short of going into the booth. They were just closing down that lane and the one next to it which slowed us down a bit. I think someone had a close call, and someone else may have had to go home to change his pants. Other than some rain, the rest was a breeze. Sitting in a mall in Tyson's Corner as 495 appears gridlocked on Google maps. Spending the night outside Richmond before pushing on to Atlamta tomorrow. Stayed on I95, which was not as bad as I remembered. Just won't do the GW bridge - ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom