OT (Almost) Martin Luther King in Conn.. | The Boneyard

OT (Almost) Martin Luther King in Conn..

Reaction Score
Excerpt from a write up of his time in Simbury Ct.

Despite the hot, dusty and exhausting work, summer in Simsbury was often described by the students as “the promised land.” On Friday evenings they might venture into town (although most students agree it was never past the Methodist Church and commercial block where Vincent’s sporting goods is today.) They could attend the movies at the Eno Memorial Hall or stop at Doyle’s Drug Store for their first opportunity to have a milk shake. (In the south they would not have been served at the white owned businesses.) Saturdays were usually spent in Hartford where they could shop, attend live musical shows and eat in any restaurant they chose. “Yesterday we didn’s work so we went to Hardford we really had a nice time there. I never thought that a person of my race could eat anywhere but we ...ate in one of the finest resturant in Hardford. And we went to the largest shows there. It is really a large city,” Dr. King wrote to his mother on June 18 1944.

Reaction Score
and Jr, right?

But thanks BroadwayVa for reminding us so close to his birthday what a world it was (and in many ways still is: I have black friends--professors and graduate students--who are still shadowed by security guards in malls up here in the North).

Reaction Score
and Jr, right?

But thanks BroadwayVa for reminding us so close to his birthday what a world it was (and in many ways still is: I have black friends--professors and graduate students--who are still shadowed by security guards in malls up here in the North).

Since he wasn't born and then named as a Junior and that is a title selected to honor Martin Luther--I didnt know the appropriateness of Using since for most it's simply MLK

Reaction Score
Oops! Better edit the title - not Lewis!
My apologies for the ERROR --LUTHER---NOT LEWIS (KML)

I worked with those Morehouse College guys during that time with The Simbury Cullman Brothers Tobacco company, picking tobacco. There were 2 crews the College guys and us HS kids bussed in from near Bristol. Inside the nets the Morehouse leader was leader for all, HS or College. Outside was a field boss. We raced each other day after day. Mingled freely at the end of the rows. There was no difference except the Morehouse guys were older. Long after they were gone we wrote letters back and forth.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and Jr, right?

its still rough at times... the mindset and stereotype isn't easy to erase but easy to create

Reaction Score
Excerpt from a write up of his time in Simbury Ct.

Despite the hot, dusty and exhausting work, summer in Simsbury was often described by the students as “the promised land.” On Friday evenings they might venture into town (although most students agree it was never past the Methodist Church and commercial block where Vincent’s sporting goods is today.) They could attend the movies at the Eno Memorial Hall or stop at Doyle’s Drug Store for their first opportunity to have a milk shake. (In the south they would not have been served at the white owned businesses.) Saturdays were usually spent in Hartford where they could shop, attend live musical shows and eat in any restaurant they chose. “Yesterday we didn’s work so we went to Hardford we really had a nice time there. I never thought that a person of my race could eat anywhere but we ...ate in one of the finest resturant in Hardford. And we went to the largest shows there. It is really a large city,” Dr. King wrote to his mother on June 18 1944.
As a teacher in Manchester CT, we always read about Dr. King’s time in Connecticut and discussed his life before he stepped up to be a leader in the civil rights movement and the choices he made. My understanding was that he was offered a position at Harvard and could have moved to Boston, and he and his family could have lived a very different life, a more anonymous, comfortable, middle class life somewhat insulated from the extreme bigotry of the South. Not that the North was free of racism, but less than the South. It’s probable that by choosing to step up as a civil rights leader, he understood there was a very strong chance he would be killed. Nevertheless, he followed his conscience. Trying to show my students the human inside the legend was important, to deepen their understanding of life. He had his flaws, but what an admirable human being.

Reaction Score
As a teacher in Manchester CT, we always read about Dr. King’s time in Connecticut and discussed his life before he stepped up to be a leader in the civil rights movement and the choices he made. My understanding was that he was offered a position at Harvard and could have moved to Boston, and he and his family could have lived a very different life, a more anonymous, comfortable, middle class life somewhat insulated from the extreme bigotry of the South. Not that the North was free of racism, but less than the South. It’s probable that by choosing to step up as a civil rights leader, he understood there was a very strong chance he would be killed. Nevertheless, he followed his conscience. Trying to show my students the human inside the legend was important, to deepen their understanding of life. He had his flaws, but what an admirable human being.
As one who lived then, allow me to view my views of Northern Racism. Bigotry has been with us prior to the USA being the USA. However, in the Connecticut of that time Black and White citizens were afforded the same opportunities and responsibilities. Poor whites had nearly the same issues and educational opportunities as their Black cousins. The majority of the population in Ct was poor black or white. Rich always had different opportunities. Personally, in my school there were no Black students mostly because there were few if any Black families in the 3 towns I lived in. My parents had no issues with my siblings mingling and socializing with ANYONE regardless of race or ethnicity. My siblings were teens when I was much younger. Connecticut historically was less color offended. The North until WW2 had few "race issues" --I will leave it to you to study the impact WW2 had on Northern Race relationships.

I can however tell you --we central Ct boys had a great time with the Morehouse guys that came to work along side us. There never ever was a negative remark, I can recall on either side--mostly because we were ONE unit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
its still rough at times... the mindset and stereotype isn't easy to erase but easy to create
You are right of course. But don't expect full erasure in one life time--it took maybe 20 life times to get here. Erasure or color blindness comes one person to one person. I lived with a Black family in DC---surprise, they were me--they accepted me, I accepted them. That's what friends do. The break through was when they and I found we could argue--any question--and still remain friends. I know there are aspects of their history or lives I'll never fully understand --and some of my views they won't either.
I was there during the burnings in DC--we has some great discussions.

Reaction Score
I had a friend in Md who related to me how --he and his family were allowed in public parks on Weekdays but not weekends-=and mistakenly went one weekend with his car loaded with his kids--only to be turned away-for being Black--I still tear up, being humiliated before your children.\
Then too--with German POW--Black citizens had to get off the side walks for those POW---disgusting, to me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
or in the grocery store when the lady clutches her purse or tell her little girl to get back over closer to her #subconsciously I guess

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom