OT:Alabama will make offer to Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall | The Boneyard

OT:Alabama will make offer to Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have the feeling Marshall stays. He has rejected other schools in the past (UCLA and Missouri) and really enjoys coaching at Wichita St. He seems like a standup guy and Alabama doing such a thing might rub him the wrong way plus Alabama isnt a basketball juggernaut.

He will have much better opportunities in the future (Texas possibly) if he stays at Wichita and continues building "his" program. I could also see him staying at Wichita like Few at Gonzaga

Reaction Score
Baker, and VanVleet will be back next year. The team will be good again. No need to jump to a job like that. Better jobs may open up soon.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I hate that stuff like this leaks out. So crappy for all of the WSU Folks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've always felt that if you are making a great salary (1.75 million per year right now) where you are, that you should stay. Becoming a legend with a great standard of living is better than being a journeyman coach with a slightly better standard of living...

Reaction Score
Pretty crappy of them to put this out while Wichita State is still playing. Now the guy won't be doing anything except answering this question. This stinks like a Notre Dame plant.

Exactly! I wish there was a 'live' period when schools could hire/fire coaches, similar to when you can contact recruits, start practice, etc. All this does is create distractions. I think it would be best if a school is in the market for a new coach, they can't make contact or suggest making an offer to coach, until after the NCAA Championship game is over. That's just my opinion.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This guy is too much of a class act to be going to the SEC.
He's got a great thing at WSU
He is earning real good cash and is the big guy on campus
Why play third or fourth fiddle to football, baseball, softball at Bama?
Sure the money is better but the company is shady

Reaction Score
Why would he go to Alabama? It's really not that good of a basketball program. Wichita State is much better than them plus he should have his two best players returning next year. Going to Alabama wouldn't even be an upgrade. If he's smart he'd stay at Wichita for another year and see if any better jobs open up such as Indiana.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He'll be making $2M at Wichita before all is said and done, so there's no pressure on him to go anywhere.

Beyond that, much better jobs than Alabama are coming down the pike in the next couple of years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If he passed up UCLA, I don't see him taking Alabama. UCLA may be the best job in college basketball. Tremendous history, incredible local talent, the weather is amazing, and at the end of the day, it is LA. UCLA fans do not care nearly as much about it as they do at other top programs. Gutheridge made 2 final fours in 3 years and he was run out of UNC. Kentucky fired Tubby Smith.

At UCLA, someone will check in every few years to see how you are doing, but as long as you are making the second weekend of the tournament every few years and making the occasional Final Four, no one will get too upset. If Jim Harrick was not such a scumbag, he would still be coaching there.

Alabama has mediocre local recruiting, little fan following, no history and nothing going for it other than money, which a lot of schools have. The one other thing Alabama has going for it is that it has proven it is patient with coaches. Gottfried was there a while, and Grant had 6 years.

Reaction Score
If he passed up UCLA, I don't see him taking Alabama. UCLA may be the best job in college basketball. Tremendous history, incredible local talent, the weather is amazing, and at the end of the day, it is LA. UCLA fans do not care nearly as much about it as they do at other top programs. Gutheridge made 2 final fours in 3 years and he was run out of UNC. Kentucky fired Tubby Smith.

At UCLA, someone will check in every few years to see how you are doing, but as long as you are making the second weekend of the tournament every few years and making the occasional Final Four, no one will get too upset. If Jim Harrick was not such a scumbag, he would still be coaching there.

Alabama has mediocre local recruiting, little fan following, no history and nothing going for it other than money, which a lot of schools have. The one other thing Alabama has going for it is that it has proven it is patient with coaches. Gottfried was there a while, and Grant had 6 years.
Alabama would be a black hole for a great coach like Marshall. I don't think 6M a year would get him out of WSU to Alabama. He should wait for a choice offering.

Reaction Score
Its super douchey and I hope he says no based on how they approached him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom