OT - After trouble at UConn, Joe Williams gets a second chance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - After trouble at UConn, Joe Williams gets a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aside from his opening press conference, P always sounded like a guy comfortable cashing checks. Like no investment on his part, after losing to buffalo in horrific fashion, to go 0-4, and get fired he talked about going to a BCS bowl if they won all their conference games.

Somehow, a guy that disconnected from reality got Jeff Hathaway to pay him millions of dollars.

Other than the fact he worked 100 hours a week. Sure. He did a bad job. But accusing him of not trying isn't fair.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Other than the fact he worked 100 hours a week. Sure. He did a bad job. But accusing him of not trying isn't fair.
"Don't mistake activity for achievement." - John Wooden

Reaction Score
I know personally that among players that won recent championships at UCONN, that completely disrespected the players that came after them, because of their lack of effort and their attitude of entitlement. Talk of players that felt like they owned everything and were entitled to all kinds of stuff, after never having earned anything. It started with the 2011 season and degenerated to where the only thing I can tell that was holding the team together by 2013, was the prospect of playing Maryland and Michigan at home - back to back. Discipline and respect went out the window within the team itself pretty much after Sio graduated, and the Pasqualoni hands off head coaching approach and George Deleone abusive 1960's coaching style, only made things worse in the locker room .

The team became the epitome of Emlen Tunnel's famous quote about winners and losers. Both coaches and players assembling in little groups and bitching about other coaches and players in little groups.

I don't think Joe Williams is an innocent and naïve as he makes himself out to be, and I don't discount his story about upperclassmen taking advantage of him either. There is always a bit of hazing of the new guys on a team, and it's not beyond my ability to draw a conclusion, that the players he talked about, were doing nothing more than riding a freshmen, but instead of sending him for food or something in the middle of the night, he got involved in a pretty significant crime.

And as for stuff disappearing from the building, it's common knowledge at this point that players felt it was not safe to leave valueables in the football facility.

That is a broken program, and that's what Diaco has by all appearances fixed, and that's a good thing.

Good luck to Joe Williams, I still remember seeing a clip of him the first time at signing day - blazing fast.

Reaction Score
You are right, that is just how I felt about him. It started with his game plans, run up the middle on 1st down for 2 yds. Run up the middle with McCombs for 1 yd. Third and long. Rinse and repeat. What this kid described is not what you expect from someone working 100 hours a week, since we know he wasn't spending it offensive game planning.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, UConn screws up badly by hiring PP and lands on its face in the AAC. What a cruel world we live in.
No UConn and the PP era was basically this...
hugo.gif

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"Don't mistake activity for achievement." - John Wooden
Achievement wasn't the point J was making. He was defending against the statement that PP wasn't invested in the program and was just happy to cash a check. If he was working 100 hour weeks, I think it's safe to say that's not true. It does, however, make it even more sad that he was so incompetent.

Reaction Score
Under Pasqualoni, we beat a top 25 ranked opponent on the road, and we were up by 2 TD's vs. Michigan at home until the 4th Q. We took teams to the brink of bowl eligibility twice, with the 6-6 finish possible in the last game of the season, and then the wheels came off after the loss to Michigan at home. The program was also completely dysfunctional physically and mentally. Those are facts.

My opinion is that because of his coaching style, he didn't care anything else happening around him, other than trying to win games, and that coaching style in college doesn't work in the 21st century. Once the common goal of competing against Michigan at home in front of the biggest crowd in Rentschler history was over, the team fell apart at the seams, and Warde Manuel, correctly I think, pulled the trigger and fired him and his monkey George.

I wonder what Pasqualoni would have been able to accomplish had he not brought George Deleone on board and managed to connect and build a healthy team mentally. He let the program degenerate to what it became under his watch though off the field and on, and that's that. You are what your record says you are - so the old saying goes, and he was 10-18 at UCONN in 28 games as a head coach.

For the record, we're going to the field this year primarily with players that Pasqualoni brought in.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Achievement wasn't the point J was making. He was defending against the statement that PP wasn't invested in the program and was just happy to cash a check. If he was working 100 hour weeks, I think it's safe to say that's not true. It does, however, make it even more sad that he was so incompetent.
No S__t? That is what the phrase means.

If you are at your desk, but typing a post on the Boneyard (Activity, but a waste of time), you are not writing the memo (Achievement for which you are actually paid) your boss wanted yesterday.

Just because former "Coach" Pasqualoni was in the Burton complex for 100 hours a week, doesn't mean his efforts bore any fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom