OT - ACC to BC: You are irrelevant (Blaud) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - ACC to BC: You are irrelevant (Blaud)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That note on just 11,000 season tickets sold has to hurt.

As for facilities, I assume BC has the money to build what they need based on their endowment of $2.2 billion; but, their issue is where to build it. They know the need a facility now that UConn and Syracuse have one along with most of the ACC. But, the locals from Newton and Boston (the campus sits in both towns) have repeatedly blocked attempts for additional construction on their campus. The obvious choice is to build a facility on Shea field, which is next to Alumni stadium; but, a stink was raised about that. So, BC bough the old Boston Catholic Archdioceses land across the Comm Ave only for the same folks to try and block construction their, too.

Back when I lived in Boston in the late '90's, BC's soccer team was a vagabond with no home field as they rotated between BU's field, Harvard's field, and even Natick High School (saw UConn play BC there). When they finally decided to constructed a permanent field on the law school campus, the Newton locals had a fit complaining that they used that land, which BC owned by the way, to walk their dogs and it should not be taken away (can one say trespassing?). BC got their field in '99; but, it took 4 more years to get the approval to put lights up and then 5 more years ('08) to build actual stands and press boxes.

Reaction Score
Were they really left out of the Big East-ACC Challenge? If so....damn. i would imagine there was a good reason...but being left out of a challenge against our former conference just seems wrong.

Reaction Score
That note on just 11,000 season tickets sold has to hurt.

As for facilities, I assume BC has the money to build what they need based on their endowment of $2.2 billion; but, their issue is where to build it. They know the need a facility now that UConn and Syracuse have one along with most of the ACC. But, the locals from Newton and Boston (the campus sits in both towns) have repeatedly blocked attempts for additional construction on their campus. The obvious choice is to build a facility on Shea field, which is next to Alumni stadium; but, a stink was raised about that. So, BC bough the old Boston Catholic Archdioceses land across the Comm Ave only for the same folks to try and block construction their, too.

Back when I lived in Boston in the late '90's, BC's soccer team was a vagabond with no home field as they rotated between BU's field, Harvard's field, and even Natick High School (saw UConn play BC there). When they finally decided to constructed a permanent field on the law school campus, the Newton locals had a fit complaining that they used that land, which BC owned by the way, to walk their dogs and it should not be taken away (can one say trespassing?). BC got their field in '99; but, it took 4 more years to get the approval to put lights up and then 5 more years ('08) to build actual stands and press boxes.
If you read the threads about it on their boards..they have the location but no funding for it...

Reaction Score
If you read the threads about it on their boards..they have the location but no funding for it...

I have not seen nor heard that; bt, I coudl have easily missed such news. I have heard that the funding could be there; but, the high costs of land and construction in Boston is a challenge (price tag of $200 million?) and they have a few locations in mind; but, are not sure they can get it through the local approval process in Boston or Newton.

Addazio was still pushing the issue in March of 2015.

http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2015/03/addazio-takes-indoor-practice-facility.html

More talk; but, one tangent is that some folks at BC believe that Conte will need to be replaced should Alumni be renovated and expanded and if so, BC wants to build separate basketball and hockey arenas. I also see that BC bought more land, formally owned by a Synagogue, about a mile south of campus in Newton that could be used for athletic facilities, though it is surrounded by conservation land and Newton will raise hell to protect it.

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15010&start=150

I do have a suggestion as to how BC can save money on that. based on BC's basketball game attendance, they can rent Newton North's or Boston Latin's high school gym as their seating of about 1,000 is just about perfect for the Eagles.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Would be a nice idea to somehow tie priority seating to this away game to season tickets this year. Even offer a slight discount on travel packages and/or tickets on away games if you buy 2016 season tickets. Like someone else pointed out in the thread earlier, this is a terrific opportunity to show UConn's visibility in Boston. Just be sure there are enough Husky fans out there that will record it on their phones because the only folks anywhere in the country who will care passionately about this game are probably us.

Reaction Score
Let's hope Diaco has a chip on his shoulder from when BC spurned him after giving him an interview.

I'd love to blow them out but their defense is very good even without Don Brown. If we win, it's going to be because our defense steps us big time, not because of our offense (duh).

I'll be there.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Yo, ACC! I think UConn would be the natural rival BC needs. The animosity between the fan bases of the two has grown exponentially since our Big East battles in the 80s and 90s. Our basketball programs got into a pissing match, they bailed on the Big East, our AG tried to stop them bailing, and their AD recently helped stonewall our inclusion in an realigning ACC. Moving forward any athletic contests between us will be approached with the same amount of fervor as some of the storied rivalries in college sports. I'm talking real hate. UConn fans will definitely be there in full voice, and will travel. I'm betting even the "we are too good for UConn" BC fans would be riled up enough to show up.
spot on, I cannot wait to play them this year.

Reaction Score
Most of the endowment money is earmarked. Just because they have a lot of it doesn't mean they can build stadiums with it.

Reaction Score
This should have been the lead in that story.

Here’s a chilling number that should carry some meaning all the way to BC President, Rev. William Leahy’s office. Ten years ago when a BC team led by Matt Ryan was taking the Eagles to No. 2 (in the country), the BC season ticket base was a healthy and profitable 36,000 per season.

Next fall, BC is projected to sell slightly more than 11,000 season tickets next season.

Reaction Score

Here’s a chilling number that should carry some meaning all the way to BC President, Rev. William Leahy’s office. Ten years ago when a BC team led by Matt Ryan was taking the Eagles to No. 2 (in the country), the BC season ticket base was a healthy and profitable 36,000 per season.

Next fall, BC is projected to sell slightly more than 11,000 season tickets next season.

Just goes to show what NFL caliber QBs can do for a college team.

Reaction Score
LOL - and from the comments section, we have the Same Old/Same Old.

BC Bob
January 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm
What’s irrelevant is a hack writer on a blog bringing up the same story every couple of weeks. Your ridiculous longings for the old Big East are tired, and who were BC’s football rivals then? It was no different then as compared to now. I don’t believe your season ticket figures are accurate, but even if they are, an important point years ago is obnoxious ND fans bought season tickets just to have tickets when ND was here every other year. I’m the first to admit BC’s performance has been disastrous, but to say the ACC schedule means the ACC ignores BC is ridiculous. Come up with some new material.

Reaction Score
LOL - and from the comments section, we have the Same Old/Same Old.

obnoxious ND fans bought season tickets

BC fans calling ND fan obnoxious, that's a hoot. Same BC fans also defend their ticket sales when ND is in down as good marketing; but, when Michigan plays UConn at the Rent and gets a ticket bump, its 'laughable.'

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I'm willing to submit that BC's stadium is cooler than ours. Even if you disregard that it's on campus, I just remember thinking that it had a cooler 'feel' to it, whatever that's supposed to mean. I always have found the rent to be incredibly drab
Cooler? It's a little dump with no parking around it!

Reaction Score
Sorry but I take no joy in BC's predicament. Living in Boston I have several BC friends who are not happy about the snub of UConn. They are livid with Flipp who let his ego get in the way of what made the most sense for New England collegiate sports--creating an even bigger rivalry between the small Catholic private vs the big Public Land Grant.
I hope the recent progress toward resuming competition continues beyond the terms of WM and B Bates. In a sense we need each other as mutual foils.

Reaction Score

That decline is so staggering, I am lead to believe his numbers are wrong. If his numbers are in fact correct....DAMN!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I'm willing to submit that BC's stadium is cooler than ours. Even if you disregard that it's on campus, I just remember thinking that it had a cooler 'feel' to it, whatever that's supposed to mean. I always have found the rent to be incredibly drab
Lack of tailgating scene. No beer in the stadium. Lousy amenities spaces (boxes/suites, etc.). Cramped/No parking. The place is terrible for big time college football. I will give you though that the only real positive they have is that the stands are much closer to the field (or on-top of the action) which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom