OT: ABC's picture quality | The Boneyard

OT: ABC's picture quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I only watch sports on ABC a few times a year (NBA on Christmas, NBA Finals, and rarely a college football game), but every time it reminds me of how terribly compressed ABC broadcasts are. The picture quality has gotten slightly better the last year or so, but it's still lightyears behind NBC, CBS, FOX (most of the time), TNT/TBS, and fellow Disney channel ESPN.

Just watching these NBA games today, I'm very thankful that ESPN now broadcasts Monday Night Football.

So who's behind all this compression? ABC? My local station (WTNH)? My cable provider (Cox)? I always forget to compare different ABC broadcasts when I go to houses of friends and family who are non-WTNH and/or non-Cox subscribers.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I was more concerned with how CRAPPY both Pro NYC Basketball teams were today. It's obvious, both the "Nots" and "Knicked Ups" suck and seem to be in tank mode... Maybe this is a good year to tank, but I think this will back fire on both teams. I'm not sure which team is worse... Really?

Reaction Score
neither the Nets nor Knicks have 1st round picks, they're not tanking

D

Deleted member 3149

ESPN is under the same ownership as ABC. Not sure why it's always been so grainy

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I only watch sports on ABC a few times a year (NBA on Christmas, NBA Finals, and rarely a college football game), but every time it reminds me of how terribly compressed ABC broadcasts are. The picture quality has gotten slightly better the last year or so, but it's still lightyears behind NBC, CBS, FOX (most of the time), TNT/TBS, and fellow Disney channel ESPN.

Just watching these NBA games today, I'm very thankful that ESPN now broadcasts Monday Night Football.

So who's behind all this compression? ABC? My local station (WTNH)? My cable provider (Cox)? I always forget to compare different ABC broadcasts when I go to houses of friends and family who are non-WTNH and/or non-Cox subscribers.

I find CBS to be worse- their HD sucks
never a problem with ESPN

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a WTNH issue. Their tech is always behind...they didn't get surround sound output until 2011. Their HD picture has always been poor.

Reaction Score

ESPN broadcast is 720p. Not sure what ABC is, could be 1080i... like many broadcasts are. 120hz (or better) refresh rate for the tv helps too.

Reaction Score
I agree, whenever I see commercials for 0tuerm ABC tv shows on the channel there was always something off about the picture quality, it's never quality HD like the other channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom