OT: Abby Wambach | The Boneyard

OT: Abby Wambach

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Abby Wambach has won the FIFA Ballon D'Or award for Female Player of the Year. Alex Morgan and 5 time winner Marta were also finalists.

Pia Sundhagen (former USA WNT head coach) won the female Coach of the Year.

Also Lionel Messi won his 4th Ballon D'Or in a row (which is a record itself). (he also broke the record for most goals scored in a calender year in 2012 with 91)

Reaction Score
I thought Morgan had a better year then both Wambach or Marta. I would guess she has to prove it over a couple of seasons before getting recognized.

Reaction Score
I agree. Morgan had 28 goals and 21 assists this year compared to Wambauch's 27 and 8 (pretty good also).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. Morgan had 28 goals and 21 assists this year compared to Wambauch's 27 and 8 (pretty good also).
Yea but in competitions that people care about (this year, Olympics and Olympic Qualifications), Wambach scored 11 while Morgan had 7. Nobody looks at all those friendlies the USA was playing.

By the way Hope Solo was the presenter.

Reaction Score
I disagree. At least 2 of the qualifying game were double digit wins. I have no problem with Wambauch winning but I don't think she was the player of the year. This was a career recognition.

Reaction Score
What do you mean?

Dominican Republic 14-0 Wambauch 2 goals
Guatemala 13-0 Wambauch 2 goals

I think when it counted she had a better year.

I'm sure some voters looked at it like that.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Yea but in competitions that people care about (this year, Olympics and Olympic Qualifications), Wambach scored 11 while Morgan had 7. Nobody looks at all those friendlies the USA was playing.

By the way Hope Solo was the presenter.

A lot of Wambach's goals were scored on assists from Morgan.

I think Alex Morgan should have been the winner!!!!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

FWIW -- Only 2 American players have ever scored 20 goals and 20 assists in one season. Those two are Mia Hamm (20 & 20) a long time ago; and Alex this year (with 28 goals and 21 assists). This perspective says a lot about how extraordinary Alex Morgan's year was.

Reaction Score
FWIW, here's one vote for Ms. Wambach as the dirtiest player in women's soccer. In terms of physicality, she gives way, way more than she gets. Worse, she bullied a dumb bell ref into making an epic bad call in the match against Canada in London. She's a fierce competitor, I get that. But too often pushes it beyond the limits of sportsmanship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FWIW -- Only 2 American players have ever scored 20 goals and 20 assists in one season. Those two are Mia Hamm (20 & 20) a long time ago; and Alex this year (with 28 goals and 21 assists). This perspective says a lot about how extraordinary Alex Morgan's year was.
But a lot of those goals/assists came in friendlies. Which nobody cares about. And really were barely even competitive.

Again in games that meant anything (Olympics and Olympic qualifying, they really didn't have any club stuff to go on), Wambach had the better year. Morgan had a break out year and really came into her own. But not quite as good a year as Wambach. She will surpass Wambach soon enough. Probably win multiple awards, like Marta did.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dominican Republic 14-0 Wambauch 2 goals
Guatemala 13-0 Wambauch 2 goals
True they were blowouts, but they actually counted for something.

It's just that I doubt voters looked much at friendly, non competitive results.

Actually a good case could have been made for Lloyd instead of Morgan.

Reaction Score
FWIW, here's one vote for Ms. Wambach as the dirtiest player in women's soccer. In terms of physicality, she gives way, way more than she gets. Worse, she bullied a dumb bell ref into making an epic bad call in the match against Canada in London. She's a fierce competitor, I get that. But too often pushes it beyond the limits of sportsmanship.

If you think that, you clearly haven't watched much women's soccer. There are dozens of players from other countries far more dirty than Wambach. And most of Wambach's physical play is legal.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

You don't watch much soccer than if you think she's the dirtiest.. There are players who are FAR more "dirty" than Abby.. For instance, Melissa Tancredi.. Abby may do some things here and there, but her physicality for the most part is perfectly legal

On a different note, Abby came into my bar about a week after the Olympics and I got to wait on her.. One of the coolest people I've ever met, super friendly and a phenomenal tipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom