OT - AARP, is it worth it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - AARP, is it worth it?

Reaction Score
I joined just for their hotel discounts. Was doing a lot of traveling and their hotel discounts are worth it. Now that I don't travel as much, I won't be renewing. Like some others have said, I also have trouble with their politics.

Reaction Score
AARP is a bigger waste than my expanding one.

Yep, expanding waist a problem here too. Doing more light beers these days, not ready for
Alcoholics Anonymous Retirement Program yet... ;)

Reaction Score
I've been a member since before I retired in 2000. I likely would not renew if it was expensive but is so inexpensive I find it worth that amount of money. I carry the AARP and the Triple A cards to take discounts form the best offers. Anytime you join a group that has a mission (in this case advocating for the retired) you will find issues you agree with and those you don't. In the current political climate people tend to ignore the ones they agree with and focus on the ones they don't. I'm a big boy and I can ignore things I don't agree with to have representation concerned with issues that affect me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
interesting... thank you all for the feedback

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I just joined at 65 to get their Medicare Supplemental Coverage as well as their drug plan. I put it off as long as I could!

My mom had that in her later years and it was well worth it. I will get it when I retire, too.

Reaction Score
I've saved many times my membership cost in free Dunkin Donuts. And AARP membership gets us nice discounts at hotels, sometimes the same as AAA, sometimes better. Most important, AARP is a lobbying group that helps defend Medicare and Social Security.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Have found that its getting impossible to find one organization that supports 100% of my issues. With their focus on Medicare and Social Security, I am in and ignore the few other agendas not on my radar. For $12 a year, if there is one story in the magazine that saves me money or helps with a major decision, I ignore that other content and consider it money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
An effective legislative lobby, lower retail costs, an informative newsletter. If you take advantage of the services offered, definitely worth it.
I joined a couple of years ago, a number of years after being eligible, to take advantage of the lower rates at Hilton hotels. that alone made it worth it.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Walgreens in conjunction with AARP gives away a free years membership once a year -- typically in August. The way it works is you spend $15 on anything during the promotion period and a coupon is printed out along with the receipt. You then logon to the AARP website and enter the unique code on the coupon and you get a year of membership. If you already have a membership, it will tack on an additional year.

You don't even have to buy anything at Walgreens. The large majority of customers toss the coupons out. I just ask the friendly clerk if they have any lying around and they reach into their trash can and give one to me.

Reaction Score
Being a disabled vet I get 100% of my medical via VA, except for dental which is now thru BENIFEDS. Use USAA for my home, car, and life insurances, and investments. No one has been able to come close to USAA and their service is the best.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, first and foremost. Just saying you and others may want to check out what SoFla Steve mentioned above.
I do not use it yet as I am still working and have a phone supplied but a good friend finds it all he needs. If one is not a teen or slightly older it is more than what is needed to serve the purpose. This meaning if your life is not structured around your phone this is just fine.
Consumer Cellular - The Best No Contract Cellphones and Cellphone Plans

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom