OT: Aaron Hernandez CTE Results | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Aaron Hernandez CTE Results

Reaction Score
I played football from about pee wee level to two years of college. It was my entire life. I played all the time as a child and didn't play any other sport. I've only had about five concussions during that time but I've had two knee surgeries. I remember standing on the field at my last practice in college and deciding that I'm done and never coming back. It was mid season .I hated the sport. I only played Div 3 ball but I'm starting to see teammates have knee and hip replacements. That's insane. Knee and hip Replacements and these guys only made it to Div 3 ball. The first thing the doctors say to these guys after seeing the x-rays is " you played football didn't you". It's not worth it Unless your getting a scholarship and a degree and even that might not be worth it. I've been offered opportunities to help coach kids and I won't go near it. It's a brutal sport.

My guess is the sport will become flag football up until the 8th grade. Kids won't get equipment until that grade. Practice with equipment will probably decrease on all levels .
I remember a few years ago watching Pardon the interruption and Wilbon was on there going on and on about mma being brutal and human cock fight bla bla bla. and i remember thinking how hypocritical he was being seeing that hes a huge football fan the bears in particular. Football is far more damaging and dangerous imho than mma or boxing.

Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago watching Pardon the interruption and Wilbon was on there going on and on about mma being brutal and human cock fight bla bla bla. and i remember thinking how hypocritical he was being seeing that hes a huge football fan the bears in particular. Football is far more damaging and dangerous imho than mma or boxing.
Hypocritical for sure but my guess is boxing is just as/probably more damaging than football and most likely the same for MMA which is a fairly new sport.

Reaction Score

Totally hear what you’re saying. But there is a continuum I believe where you have your low-contact sports (soccer, basketball, baseball), contact sports (lacrosse, hockey), collision sports (football and rugby), then you have combat sports such as boxing and MMA. You’d have a hard time convincing me a collision sport, where the object is bringing a man to the ground, is more dangerous than a combat sport, in which the object is to inflict damage and/or beat someone unconscious.

The first point I would make is: how many on-field deaths per 16-game season occur in football, vs how many deaths in-ring or post-fight occur in a 1-2 bout year in MMA?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hypocritical for sure but my guess is boxing is just as/probably more damaging than football and most likely the same for MMA which is a fairly new sport.
Agree. No helmets in pro boxing. When I watch mixed martial arts I am surprised there aren't more deaths with the kicks and elbows to the head. Looks an awful lot like a street fight.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot of guys play/played football and have been banged around a lot more than AH and I don't remember too many of them shooting people in cold blood
Yeah football is not great on the brain but that doesn't mean you get so whacked out you kill
Die early, have memory issues, more susceptible to mental illness? All maybe Turn you into a killer? Highly doubt it
The guy was whacked, hung around with losers and obviously thought he was above the law.
It's a shame that such a young talented person fell to this behavior but sometimes people look too deep into trying to find an excuse to blame something besides lack of judgment

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm really happy that my son played basketball, baseball and volleyball and didn't spend time on the gridiron, I'm even happier he stayed away from the gang life of nearby Springfield.

I mean reality is that he seemed to be a nice kid while playing at Bristol Central, not who he turned out to be. Was it CTE, did he start already with gangs or did the Florida experience with different cultures change some things as well? CTE is scary but no one really knows the answer here despite these findings.

A relative of mine had both DJ and Aaron as students in school classes. Speaks very highly of both when they were kids in school. For quite some time after he was first arrested, many folks in Bristol who knew him were in total denial. A lot of them didn't think he was capable of doing things like that.

Reaction Score
A relative of mine had both DJ and Aaron as students in school classes. Speaks very highly of both when they were kids in school. For quite some time after he was first arrested, many folks in Bristol who knew him were in total denial. A lot of them didn't think he was capable of doing things like that.

That's true of a lot of murderers.

I've had close relatives deal with Alzheimers and one thing that amazed me during the process was how very little we understand the brain. So color me skeptical about the certainty that seems to be present in discussions about CTE, especially when it comes out of BU, which has sought to make itself CTE central.

Reaction Score
Totally hear what you’re saying. But there is a continuum I believe where you have your low-contact sports (soccer, basketball, baseball), contact sports (lacrosse, hockey), collision sports (football and rugby), then you have combat sports such as boxing and MMA. You’d have a hard time convincing me a collision sport, where the object is bringing a man to the ground, is more dangerous than a combat sport, in which the object is to inflict damage and/or beat someone unconscious.

The first point I would make is: how many on-field deaths per 16-game season occur in football, vs how many deaths in-ring or post-fight occur in a 1-2 bout year in MMA?

"In 2013 eight players died from injuries sustained on the field, a rate of .73 deaths per 100,000, while last year five high school and one college player died, a rate of 0.45 per 100,000."
Some may disagree with you. two guys who weight the same punching each other with padded gloves twice a year while dangerous and damaging is no more dangerous than two 250lb men hitting each other at full speed repeatedly every week for 6 months.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Absolutely but from my understanding it doesn't mimic the effects of CTE in the brain. My guess is he started using dust because of his already damaged brain but none of us know. Only docs who study the brain have any sort of grasp on what's really going on.

CTE can absolutely lead to more drug use, given the general affects of the condition. Not my opinion, just what I've read from doctors who study this.

I would not be the least bit surprised if his PCP use, as a very successful, rich professional football player, along with being a new father, was heavily influence by his relative cognitive function.

I agree with Rock that these drugs do increase degeneration of the brain in some form or fashion. They are effectively poison. No idea what brain centers they affect the most, so obviously don't have a clue if it mimics or exacerbates the CTE damage/effects.

Reaction Score
They are effectively poison. No idea what brain centers they affect the most, so obviously don't have a clue if it mimics or exacerbates the CTE damage/effects.
Drugs ultimately course through the blood, which flows through the entire brain. PCP use on its own “affects” all regions of the brain essentially equally in its toxicity. I imagine that’s why a more global cognitive impairment, rather than a kind of “component” impairment (in specifically attention, or spatial processing, or language, etc.) in those with a histories of lengthy substance abuse.

But when you superimpose that on to pre-exposure damage in the brain, said damaged areas (and again this just makes intuitive sense to me) should be extra-susceptible to those toxins to where at the very least recovery at the anatomical level will be reduced. Then you think about how the C part of CTE necessitates repeated trauma, you get an exacerbated compounding effect where concussion 4 for Hernandez could be way worse than concussion 4 for a non-user

But of course there are other factors related to the injuries themselves as well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom