OT: A Sociological Eye-opener | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A Sociological Eye-opener

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is understandable for National Guardsmen in New York City but I don't see plenty anywhere else. I have visited and/or done business in 42 states and never saw National Guardsmen with rifles. I have traveled to several European cities and have seen armed soldiers.
Well, I guess that almost evens out the armed police we have in every city of our country. Almost.

JordyG

Reaction Score
UPDATE: I've continued my study of the Tubes from the exchange students and others visiting or now living in the US and it makes me want to underscore a prior observation and bring another to you; the latter is very surprising. First, the openess and helpfulness of Americans is a nearly universal observation and it is sorta sad that so much of the civilized world apparently is not. Second, a strong minority mention American patriotism and see it as a positive that is absent in their home countries. This point was a total surprise to me.
I mentioned it in my take, but listed it as "ambivalent". To me it seemed European's didn't see it so much as a great for American's but more of a negative that the people in their countries didn't see it as a positive to be "German", or "Italian" and so forth.

I also mentioned how American friendliness is a major surprising plus to Europeans and other tourists. I remember hearing one captured terrorist saying how much he liked American's but loathed our country. More the fool was he. I remember one person mentioning how surprised they were when after buying from a màrket there was someone to pack your items and then, carry them to your vehicle.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well, I guess that almost evens out the armed police we have in every city of our country. Almost.

Countries whose police carry guns
Australia
Austria
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
(not regularly, situationally)
Ireland (units comparable to American SWAT use a variety of lethal devices; Police officers who train as detectives carry a sidearm, and many plainclothes/undercover officers are also trained and deployed with the use of concealed handguns)
Jamaica
Netherlands
New Zealand
(again SWAT units and for situations requiring guns)
Norway
South Africa
Sweden
United Kingdom
(SWAT units)
Wales (not regularly, situationally)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had several European friends in graduate school. They'd talk about how hard they worked in high school. I asked them when they had time to party, and every one replied, "In college."

Things are changing in California. Asian students (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian and sometimes Vietnamese) study hard in school and sometimes party in college. Sometimes they continue to study hard in college as well. When they are rejected by the Ivy league schools inspite of having higher SAT scores and gpa and having taken woodles of AP tests, they complain loudly. Some are now making the school teams in soccer and swimming to burnish the resume.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Countries whose police carry guns
Australia
Austria
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
(not regularly, situationally)
Ireland (units comparable to American SWAT use a variety of lethal devices; Police officers who train as detectives carry a sidearm, and many plainclothes/undercover officers are also trained and deployed with the use of concealed handguns)
Jamaica
Netherlands
New Zealand
(again SWAT units and for situations requiring guns)
Norway
South Africa
Sweden
United Kingdom
(SWAT units)
Wales (not regularly, situationally)
Interesting. Australia is not in Europe, nor are Jamaica, New Zealand or South Africa, but I'll still cede them..

1) In Ireland common and local police officers are routinely unarmed except for special circumstances.

2) In France some cities officers are routinely armed, but not in Paris.

3) In Norway the use started in 2014, but on a temporary basis, that has been extended 4 times, and even then only in response to special circumstances.

4) In the UK only SWAT units, which is true for every European country.

5) In Finland police have access to weapons, but again, only in response to special circumstances.

In this country, every officer in every county carries firearms. Also at many major airports, and here in NYC major bus terminals, National Guardsmen are used in addition to local police. NG's routinely carry automatic weapons. This of course is not including detectives, private detectives, citizens and bad guys. Combine the law enforcement of all these countries that carry and honestly, it ain't close.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A goodly of you seem intrigued by cross cultural info. May I recommend Michael Moore's WHERE TO INVADE NEXT? Yes he's a left winger who likes to hammer home. Nevertheless, there is much food for thought in the descriptions by citizens of several Euro nations
about how their institutions work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom