OT: A Sociological Eye-opener | The Boneyard

OT: A Sociological Eye-opener

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
During the last week (mostly cool and rainy) I have spent some time reviewing European impressions of America on YouTube. Some on extended visits, some vacationing and some exchange students. And there were a number of things that were iluminating and contrary to conventional wisdom. You have to look by the narcissism that pervades in people driven to "my personal adventures" shows on YouTube, but looking beyond that I found some telling themes.

First, the mundane: Holy Cow, the water is free in American restaurants and you can have all you want!!

People get off the plane and about the first thing they want to do is go to ... wait for it ... Walmart. The plenty, the sizes, the pricing blows them away! Of course, it is hard to find a place to drop a Walmart into Stockholm or London!

Food is so, so cheap here in America! Supermarket or restaurant. And, like the water, the notion of a free soda refill is mind numbing!

Portion sizes also a shock. A McD's small fry in Europe is really small!

The high school experience in America is unique. Sports teams and rooting for your school unheard of in Europe. Dances, uh uh. Music classes very scarce. Teachers who show genuine interest and smile ... not so much there. School is not a social hub.

This one really got me for it's near universality. In America total strangers are genuinely nice to you and say hi, how's your day, etc, and do so with perfect sincerity. Shop employees are the same and this is amazing to many Europeans!

Food variety is insanely rich and available in the US.

Well, anyway, it struck me as very different from what I would have expected.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Food is so, so cheap here in America! Supermarket or restaurant. And, like the water, the notion of a free soda refill is mind numbing!

The high school experience in America is unique. Sports teams and rooting for your school unheard of in Europe. Dances, uh uh. Music classes very scarce. Teachers who show genuine interest and smile ... not so much there. School is not a social hub.

This one really got me for it's near universality. In America total strangers are genuinely nice to you and say hi, how's your day, etc, and do so with perfect sincerity. Shop employees are the same and this is amazing to many Europeans!

Some good observations. In my limited trips to Europe I've observed that the food is expensive and portions are small. Also, it seems that people eat at restaurants a LOT, which given the prices in grocery stores, makes some sense.

I also noticed that people don't interact with strangers. Even when I messed up in a Swiss grocery store -- I didn't know to print out a bar code for my pepper and held up the line for several minutes -- people pretty much ignored me.

I had several European friends in graduate school. They'd talk about how hard they worked in high school. I asked them when they had time to party, and every one replied, "In college."

Reaction Score
During the last week (mostly cool and rainy) I have spent some time reviewing European impressions of America on YouTube. Some on extended visits, some vacationing and some exchange students. And there were a number of things that were iluminating and contrary to conventional wisdom. You have to look by the narcissism that pervades in people driven to "my personal adventures" shows on YouTube, but looking beyond that I found some telling themes.

First, the mundane: Holy Cow, the water is free in American restaurants and you can have all you want!!

People get off the plane and about the first thing they want to do is go to ... wait for it ... Walmart. The plenty, the sizes, the pricing blows them away! Of course, it is hard to find a place to drop a Walmart into Stockholm or London!

Food variety is insanely rich and available in the US.

Well, anyway, it struck me as very different from what I would have expected.

My frequent business travels to Europe made me aware that we're a whole lot better off than most of us know or appreciate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another oddity: For whatever, unexplained reason many teenage and 20s/30s Europeans went out of there way to experience somores od S'mores. You know, graham cracker, chocolate, marshmellow.... maybe from movies???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My frequent business travels to Europe made me aware that we're a whole lot better off than most of us know or appreciate.

Here, here. There was a documentary made a few years ago which was essentially interviews of those at citizenship ceremonies in all 50 states. Love to see it again. Should be required viewing IMO. Not a few times the words were uttered: You don't know how lucky you are to be an American.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've been viewing these videos for years as sort of guilty pleasure. You've aptly pointed out some of the surprises Europeans find in America. The positive ones.

European transfer students also have consistently stated how easy school is here as compared to their country, their fear of the prevalence of guns in this country and how easy it is to get them, how the officers in our cities wear guns on their hips, how little Americans know of other countries and how little regard we have for the history of countries hundreds if not thousands of years older then we, how little we know of the politics of our own country, how fat we are as a people, how few in our country speak other languages and how we frequently lump other countries and cultures together, how loud we are.

On the ambivalent side European's note how patriotic we are, how huge our food portion sizes are, how our cities are laid out for cars and not people interaction, the prevalence and protocols of tipping.

On the positive side European's note how friendly we are and how willing we are to strike up conversations with perfect strangers, how our customer services are helpful, how we frequently go out of our way to help others without thought of return, how hard we work and how we encourage our young to earn a wage, how we ask "How are you" as a greeting, and how we frequently want to know the answer, how our establishments are frequently open late, while some are even open 24 hours, how we have drive through everthing, how we show school pride and devotion, how resturants provide free refills and doggie bags.

Yeah, I've watched too much of that stuff.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Following up on some of Jordy's points:

One of my best friends from graduate school is Irish (County Dublin). One thing that he noticed about the US is our sense of personal space. He loved Saint Patrick's Day in the US -- it made him homesick, not because it was St Paddy's Day, but because the bars were crowded and people were all rubbing up against each other. (He also got homesick in the Spring when it often rained for a month on end.)

I also remember a story several years ago about Germany possibly allowing grocery stores (possibly other types of stores?) to stay open till 8. I think they were only open till 5, maybe 6, and till noon on Saturdays. My experience in the grocery store in Switzerland happened because our hostess couldn't shop after work, so I had to go out. Personally, I shop virtually every day after work, and often on weekends. I can't imagine not being able to.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Following up on some of Jordy's points:

One of my best friends from graduate school is Irish (County Dublin). One thing that he noticed about the US is our sense of personal space. He loved Saint Patrick's Day in the US -- it made him homesick, not because it was St Paddy's Day, but because the bars were crowded and people were all rubbing up against each other. (He also got homesick in the Spring when it often rained for a month on end.)

I also remember a story several years ago about Germany possibly allowing grocery stores (possibly other types of stores?) to stay open till 8. I think they were only open till 5, maybe 6, and till noon on Saturdays. My experience in the grocery store in Switzerland happened because our hostess couldn't shop after work, so I had to go out. Personally, I shop virtually every day after work, and often on weekends. I can't imagine not being able to.
Also many liked, no loved the idea of alcohol at sporting events. Plus the idea of tailgating was a really wondrous thing for almost all who participated. Many wished their countries would introduce the tailgating idea, as well as alcohol.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Also many liked, no loved the idea of alcohol at sporting events. Plus the idea of tailgating was a really wondrous thing for almost all who participated. Many wished their countries would introduce the tailgating idea, as well as alcohol.

Lemme know if they start serving beer at soccer games in the UK. I'll make sure to be far far away. ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

My first business trip to London was a solo trip for 9 weeks. I managed to locate a pub, big pub, not far from my hotel in London. While eating my first meal alone; three chaps appeared and stood at my table looking at me. Since I do tend to be a bit loud which has caused me trouble in bars. My first thought was oh good grief here we go again and I wasn't even talking. They asked if they could buy me a beer if I would speak to them about the USA. I was floored. For a free beer why not. So we chatted for about an hour and a half. Back in the hotel I thought that was interesting. I returned the next day to dine and within a couple of minutes a pint was placed on my table and my new friends were back for more! This went on for 5 or 6 meals, then ended. A pity! Now I had to buy my own pints. Bummer! :) They were really interested in us. Pick a topic, they asked about it. They were really interested in how we operated as a society without the class structure of England.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
... People get off the plane and about the first thing they want to do is go to ... wait for it ... Walmart. The plenty, the sizes, the pricing blows them away! Of course, it is hard to find a place to drop a Walmart into Stockholm or London! ...
I've worked on several multi-national teams and when meetings were held in the U.S., our non-American members often arrived with a spare, empty suitcase to transport their purchases home in.

Reaction Score
Another oddity: For whatever, unexplained reason many teenage and 20s/30s Europeans went out of there way to experience somores od S'mores. You know, graham cracker, chocolate, marshmellow.... maybe from movies???
Worked with more than a few Indians (as in India) both here and there and whenever I asked (which I usually did) what they would most like to see or do in America, the answer was always the same. Niagara Falls.

Reaction Score
European transfer students also have consistently stated how easy school is here as compared to their country [many countries hold school on Saturday mornings]
how the officers in our cities wear guns on their hips [I remember physical fear on my first landing at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport and seeing soldiers holding machine guns]

Reaction Score
I also remember a story several years ago about Germany possibly allowing grocery stores (possibly other types of stores?) to stay open till 8. I think they were only open till 5, maybe 6, and till noon on Saturdays.
Many years ago while living in Australia, I discovered that "It's a slower pace of life" meant that almost everything shut down at 6 pm (at the latest). TV stations signed off at 11 pm. They'd just extended retail shopping hours (on a trial basis) to 8 pm (Thursday nights only), for the Christmas season only, to see how it would be received. Parents would bring younger children to the grocery store in their pj's. If you didn't get out of the house before noon on Saturday, you might as well stay in bed all day (OK, just kidding, you could still take the ferry to Circular Quay and walk around downtown Sydney and not shop there).

JordyG

Reaction Score
I live in NY. Walk around Grand Central and the bus terminal at 42nd were there are many tourists and you'll see plenty of automatic rifle bearing National Guardsmen. Yeah, this country has both.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
[I remember physical fear on my first landing at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport and seeing soldiers holding machine guns]

I flew out of Brussels with a colleague in about 2003. We got to the international terminal and found the route to our gate. There was a very dimly lit hallway literally about 100 yards long to the gate. We're looking at each other with that Like what? expression. At the end was a checkpoint with two very angry looking armed guards. They stopped us and looked very closely through our carry ons. I had a wooden flute with me. Neither of them spoke a word of English, but fortunately I speak some French and my colleague somewhat more. We were able to explain "C'est une flûte" (which those Wolloons pronounce the same way we pronounce flout). They asked me to toot a little bit on it, and all was well. But that walk down a 100 yard barely lit tunnel to be greeted by armed guards in Belgium was really unnerving.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
That's a great statement you made. I wish the "Media" in this country would mention what a great country we have, and remind us all, how lucky we really are!

Reaction Score
I spent some time in Europe as a teen, camping with my sister who was serving overseas in the Air Force. This was many many years ago. I remember being astonished that you had to pay to use public bathrooms and in some places they charged extra for the toilet paper.

I've also never forgotten the absolute joy of the butter we bought in Holland on the baguette we bought in Paris.

Reaction Score
During the last week (mostly cool and rainy) I have spent some time reviewing European impressions of America on YouTube. Some on extended visits, some vacationing and some exchange students. And there were a number of things that were iluminating and contrary to conventional wisdom.

ROCK : Another of your great threads....and very interesting comments and observations from the others of you who've responded. My reflections are different and probably much older vintage, mainly 4 or 5 decades back.

Many trips to Western Europe, all of Scandinavian countries, Japan - some tourism, some as work (most interesting role was as representative of two CT Govs (Meskill and Grasso....anybody recall them?).

Nutshell: thoroughly enjoyed all and did NOT come away with any sense, in THOSE times, that we were more "comfortable" back home than they were over there. Never really occurred to me. And this despite my VERY strong send of patriotism and pride in the US, both then and now. I do recall though, in Japan, once sleeping in one of those tiny cubicles that were like those on a troop ship, but just thought of it as being something different., rather than worse than our practice. NO recollection, again back then, of not having water, variety, ample portions, etc, but could just be forgetting.

In closing, words of comfort and deepest appreciation on this Memorial Day to all those who lost loved ones in the defense of our precious freedoms. God bless you and yours.

Reaction Score
I spent some time in Europe as a teen, camping with my sister who was serving overseas in the Air Force. This was many many years ago. I remember being astonished that you had to pay to use public bathrooms and in some places they charged extra for the toilet paper.

I've also never forgotten the absolute joy of the butter we bought in Holland on the baguette we bought in Paris.

Reminds me of the simple but memorable lunch/snack ... on a clear day, sitting on a sun warmed warm rock outcropping with a forever view, while skiing in the Swiss Alps...simple sandwiches of the local village shop's bread, butter, and cheese. (No ketchup, mustard, or jelly...to keep on topic). We still enjoy the combo very much when the ingredients are especially fine.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its been a while since I've been in Germany, but when I was stationed there the portions in German Gasthaus' were huge compared to the size of portions in the typical American restaurants. Has that changed? Another huge difference in most European Countries, the Tax rates are significantly higher then most States in the USA.

I did like in Germany how complete companies would shut down in July or August for vacation. Of course at the time, I was wondering how companies could afford to do so.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UPDATE: I've continued my study of the Tubes from the exchange students and others visiting or now living in the US and it makes me want to underscore a prior observation and bring another to you; the latter is very surprising. First, the openess and helpfulness of Americans is a nearly universal observation and it is sorta sad that so much of the civilized world apparently is not. Second, a strong minority mention American patriotism and see it as a positive that is absent in their home countries. This point was a total surprise to me.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I live in NY. Walk around Grand Central and the bus terminal at 42nd were there are many tourists and you'll see plenty of automatic rifle bearing National Guardsmen. Yeah, this country has both.

It is understandable for National Guardsmen in New York City but I don't see plenty anywhere else. I have visited and/or done business in 42 states and never saw National Guardsmen with rifles. I have traveled to several European cities and have seen armed soldiers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom