OT - a pleasant experience with a credit card company | The Boneyard

OT - a pleasant experience with a credit card company

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
This is very off-topic, but I just had a positive experience with the credit card company and not so unusual I thought it was worth mentioning.

I got an email this morning identifying a potentially fraudulent transaction on my credit card. It was. Normally, this would mean the ordinary boring issue of having my card canceled, and waiting for a replacement card. Not fun but not that big a deal.

Except.

I'm leaving for New York today. Many of you know my daughter is over nine months pregnant and we've decided not to wait for her to call, we are going down to stay with her for a few days. Then I'm taking the train to Stanford and going to the Oklahoma game on Tuesday, then leaving for Canada. This means neither I nor my wife will be home to receive a new card. And guess what, I was planning on using the card on my trip.

Vanessa was very helpful. She said the card would be canceled but it would remain temporarily open and would allow purchases in the state of New York and in Canada through the time of my trip. In addition, they would send the replacement cards to New York. I was fully expecting them to say there was nothing they could do, that they had to cancel my card immediately because the fraudulent charge, and we could use the new cards as soon as we could get them at our address on file.

Now it may turn out that Vanessa looked at our monthly charges and decided there was no way, no how they wanted us to be unable to use our card for any period of time and so they are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate us but it was a very pleasant answer to what I fully thought was going to be a problem.

Maybe someone will tell me that any credit card company will do this but at the moment, my card issued by Chase and cosponsored with Southwest Airlines, is going to be my card of choice.

Reaction Score
Chase, at least, has offered this service for a couple of years. And when my number is stolen, they FedEx me a new card w/in 24 hrs. The price of doing business these days....sigh.....

yes, Good luck and enjoy the birth, Phil!!!!

we will rock on Tuesday night.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too can attest to Chase and their caution and thoughtfulness when it comes to credit cards. They're my bank of choice and have been for years. Welcome and good luck in your stay here in the city and state I love.

Reaction Score
I also had a very good experience with Chase. We travel to San Diego often and as we have our own car insurance, when we rent a car I don't take their insurance. Well on our last trip our car was parked and damaged by a hit and run driver. The rental car company advised us that as we utilized our Chase card, Chase would cover any damages up to our deductible for our car insurance. I filed a claim through Chase and they handled the whole claim through the rental car company and we only received a conformation from Chase that the claim had been paid in full. It has also become our card of choice.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Got an email from Bank of America regarding a charge on my card which turned out to be fraudulent. I only have this card as they're tied to American Airlines which we fly exclusively.

I called and explained that I was on vacation in Las Vegas and they FedEx'd the new card to my attention at the hotel. It arrived two days later.

Spent the next week notifying all of the businesses I had the old card on file with.

Still got a couple of "your card has been declined" from a couple of vendors I'd forgotten about.

All in all, good service from the bank that holds my mortgage (not by choice, they bought the loan from my original lender) who has screwed me over twice trying to escrow my property taxes when I put down 50% on the loan. They're sleazy.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't understand why credit card fraud isn't more vigorously pursued. Too expensive? Isn't this theft? Don't most stores have video cameras? Shouldn't be that difficult to track down fraudsters. /rant off

Reaction Score
This is very off-topic, but I just had a positive experience with the credit card company and not so unusual I thought it was worth mentioning.

I got an email this morning identifying a potentially fraudulent transaction on my credit card. It was. Normally, this would mean the ordinary boring issue of having my card canceled, and waiting for a replacement card. Not fun but not that big a deal.

Except.

I'm leaving for New York today. Many of you know my daughter is over nine months pregnant and we've decided not to wait for her to call, we are going down to stay with her for a few days. Then I'm taking the train to Stanford and going to the Oklahoma game on Tuesday, then leaving for Canada. This means neither I nor my wife will be home to receive a new card. And guess what, I was planning on using the card on my trip.

Vanessa was very helpful. She said the card would be canceled but it would remain temporarily open and would allow purchases in the state of New York and in Canada through the time of my trip. In addition, they would send the replacement cards to New York. I was fully expecting them to say there was nothing they could do, that they had to cancel my card immediately because the fraudulent charge, and we could use the new cards as soon as we could get them at our address on file.

Now it may turn out that Vanessa looked at our monthly charges and decided there was no way, no how they wanted us to be unable to use our card for any period of time and so they are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate us but it was a very pleasant answer to what I fully thought was going to be a problem.

Maybe someone will tell me that any credit card company will do this but at the moment, my card issued by Chase and cosponsored with Southwest Airlines, is going to be my card of choice.
Great story! I have gotten excellent service on the replacement card when I have had a fraud alert cancellation - next day air, etc. It's still a PIA if you have monthly automatic drafts to update. But anyway, don't let one great customer service experience obscure the evil that is Chase, Citi and Wells Fargo. (Example: "Our privacy policy: We will sell your personal info and purchasing habits to whomever we wish. If this is not agreeable to you, you are free do business with a different credit card bank. [OBTW, we all have the same policy. Have a nice day.]"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom