OT:A "Mendoza Line" for WCBB? | The Boneyard

OT:A "Mendoza Line" for WCBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Jessica Mendoza is a member of the ESPN baseball broadcasting crew. Her (insightful) comments are often promoted as her "Mendoza Line." Cute.

This pejorative baseball term owes its name to Mario Mendoza, a notoriously weak-hitting infielder (Pirates and others, '70's or so). Apparently it was a teasing clubhouse expression that gained credence in 1979 when George Brett used it during a TV interview with Chris Berman.

The generally accepted over/under standard is a batting average of .200, which separates above average mediocrity from below average mediocrity - but only for superior fielders.

Many sport slang expressions traverse different games (e.g., "grand slam" in baseball, tennis, and golf). So why not establish a "Mendoza Line" for wcbb? Some possibilities:
45 ppg (team)
10 pts./qtr.
30% shooting
20% on treys
55% free throws​
Any others come to mind? Or a better name?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I kinda like "kibitzers" has a certain ring to it

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Always liked the expression
Uncertain how to apply it to BB.
But you're definitely on to something Kib.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Always liked the expression
Uncertain how to apply it to BB.
But you're definitely on to something Kib.

We need the name of a real basketball jerk to "honor" in this manner. Let's apply the term to all college basketball (both M & F) and call it:

"The Vitale Line"

OK?:)

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
2 airballs per game per team (not counting end-of-shot-clock or end-of-period heaves) on jump shots

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Jessica Mendoza is a member of the ESPN baseball broadcasting crew. Her (insightful) comments are often promoted as her "Mendoza Line." Cute.

This pejorative baseball term owes its name to Mario Mendoza, a notoriously weak-hitting infielder (Pirates and others, '70's or so). Apparently it was a teasing clubhouse expression that gained credence in 1979 when George Brett used it during a TV interview with Chris Berman.

The generally accepted over/under standard is a batting average of .200, which separates above average mediocrity from below average mediocrity - but only for superior fielders.

Many sport slang expressions traverse different games (e.g., "grand slam" in baseball, tennis, and golf). So why not establish a "Mendoza Line" for wcbb? Some possibilities:
45 ppg (team)
10 pts./qtr.
30% shooting
20% on treys
55% free throws​
Any others come to mind? Or a better name?:rolleyes:

Excellent idea Kib. ESPN's Chris Berman (AKA the Swami) used this term often during his on air pre-game shows when he did a feature on a player's brush with mediocrity.
I think it's something that we can start here in the yard, that may catch on and spread to other threads. Most of us "mature" bloggers are familiar with this concept, and the infamous Mendoza line.

Note: I think the number should be a little higher for treys. 35% would be better. 20% for treys is a little low. The team average is what, about 36%? If a team can't shoot better than 20% from beyond the arc, they should not attempt to do so, and just concentrate on their inside and mid-range game. A player that shoots in the high 40's is considered a great 3 pt. shooter. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What makes WCBB unwatchable for me is the amount of turnovers. >15/Game.
I agree. Secondarily, it's when there is no weak side help or contesting of a layup. UConn lapsed that way a couple of times in the Stanford loss of 2014; drove me crazy. But, like most lapses or mistakes on defense, not easily quantified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom