OT: 60 million dollar HS football staduim | The Boneyard

OT: 60 million dollar HS football staduim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a teacher in a district who can't get funding for technology upgrades, professional development, extra (needed) support personnel, or even a new history text book, this amazes me.

Reaction Score
About as tragic as a busway to the tune of $579,000,000. Only difference is 63% of the folks that actually gave enough of a s#$!t to voice their opinion voted for it. Who voted for the busway?

Reaction Score
These types of high school stadiums in Texas aren't as uncommon as you might think.

Reaction Score
I would suspect that half the students and probably half the parents can't conjugate irregular English verbs, in addition suffering from a plethora of other academic deficiencies. But, hey, it's all about football. I had went to Allen once and found it creepy. I feel the urge to comment on the busway, but will control myself and stick to the topic at hand.

Reaction Score
Thats frigging impressive. Can Villanova have that transported onto their campus, how bout us?

Reaction Score
I would suspect that half the students and probably half the parents can't conjugate irregular English verbs, in addition suffering from a plethora of other academic deficiencies. But, hey, it's all about football. I had went to Allen once and found it creepy. I feel the urge to comment on the busway, but will control myself and stick to the topic at hand.

Are you trying to be funny, or do you belong with the the half of students and parents that can't conjugate irregular English verbs?

Had went?

Reaction Score
Creeepy? In what way? Know someone here who came from Allen, TX. He tells me it is an upper-middle class suburb of Dallas with a median household income at or above 100K. They are giving up nothing in order to fund this project.

Reaction Score
'Had went" is an all too common abuse of an irregular English verb. Another is the very creative "tooken" for took or had taken. You have to love it. Mr Greene: having money and being upper middle class makes the project all the more creepy. If you don't get that, then my point is lost on you. Donald Trump is wealthy and can afford a number of expensive things--he's creepy. Spending 60 mil. on a HS football stadium, in my humble opinion, is disturbing absent some evidence of the equivalent (or greater) emphasis on academics. You're right on one thing--the good citizens of Allen voted for it and will pay for it themselves. Of course, we get stuck with a busway...

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
That's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
'Had went" is an all too common abuse of an irregular English verb. Another is the very creative "tooken" for took or had taken. You have to love it. Mr Greene: having money and being upper middle class makes the project all the more creepy. If you don't get that, then my point is lost on you. Donald Trump is wealthy and can afford a number of expensive things--he's creepy. Spending 60 mil. on a HS football stadium, in my humble opinion, is disturbing absent some evidence of the equivalent (or greater) emphasis on academics. You're right on one thing--the good citizens of Allen voted for it and will pay for it themselves. Of course, we get stuck with a busway...
To each his own. I have no problem with the people living in a well off city in Texas spending their dollars in any way they wish. I am also pretty sure it is not short changing the academic side of the school. To me it is much better than the above mentioned busway. I read the Courant web page regularly and the whole idea of the busway seems crazy to me. I grew up in New Britain and can not imagine how it makes sense to spend that amount of money on the project. Granted I have been away for a long time but I visit family there regularly. I have yet to find anyone who believes that there will be the ridership to justify it.

Reaction Score
Don't talk about the busway. it's too upsetting. The only good thing about it, is that in a few years, anyone associated with it....their political careers will be over, and that will be a good thing for all the rest of us.

As for a $60mill high school football complex? It's excessive sure, but how much so? Jess Dow Field at SCSU cost I think $3mill to build a long time ago with 1980s dollars. The same facility now, would probably cost $20 mill at least,a nd it seats far fewer than this stadium in Texas. .

I agree that if that much money is being poured into a football complex, and the rest of the school is reading from 25 year old texts? Problem. If not? And they're pouring money into the school proportionately? All the power to them.

Reaction Score
Don't talk about the busway. it's too upsetting. The only good thing about it, is that in a few years, anyone associated with it....their political careers will be over, and that will be a good thing for all the rest of us.

As for a $60mill high school football complex? It's excessive sure, but how much so? Jess Dow Field at SCSU cost I think $3mill to build a long time ago with 1980s dollars. The same facility now, would probably cost $20 mill at least,a nd it seats far fewer than this stadium in Texas. .

I agree that if that much money is being poured into a football complex, and the rest of the school is reading from 25 year old texts? Problem. If not? And they're pouring money into the school proportionately? All the power to them.
Exactly my point, I live in a well off suburb of Birmingham. We have spent 10's of millions of dollars on athletic facilities, performing arts centers, etc. at the high school over the years. None of the spending has come at the expense of the academic side. In fact the school is regularly listed among the best public schools in the country. Since Allen has a demo similar to our town I assume that they are in the same position.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point, I live in a well off suburb of Birmingham. We have spent 10's of millions on dollars on athletic facilities, performing arts centers, etc. at the high school over the years. None of the spending has come at the expense of the academic side. In fact the school is regularly listed among the best public schools in the country. Since Allen has a demo similar to our town I assume that they are in the same position.

Didn't the state of Texas have that whole issue about what they taught at their schools recently, though? Like how they weren't supposed to teach evolution, but have creationism in their textbooks instead? Because the textbooks aren't chosen by the schools themselves, but by the governing board that approves all textbooks that the state will purchase?

Reaction Score
These types of high school stadiums in Texas aren't as uncommon as you might think.
"Saturday Night Lights" (the book, not the movie) does a terrific job of discussing HS football in Texas including stadium cost, six-figure salaries for full-time coaches (that do nothing else) and other excesses. It's not a football book. It's a readable study of culture and sociology.

Reaction Score
Didn't the state of Texas have that whole issue about what they taught at their schools recently, though? Like how they weren't supposed to teach evolution, but have creationism in their textbooks instead? Because the textbooks aren't chosen by the schools themselves, but by the governing board that approves all textbooks that the state will purchase?
I think Texas is what is called an "adpotion" state in the textbook business. I believe a little over half the states, mostly midwest and south are in that category. It means that the local school districts are allowed to buy only from a list of textbooks that are approved by the state board. Over the years this has resulted in some adoption controversies over creationism/evolution in some states. Don't know about Texas but here the list is so broad that a school board can choose just about any point of view they like.

Reaction Score
When I attended HS in NYC many many years ago NY law did not allow the teaching of non asexual reproduction in biology class. I think amoebas and maybe frogs were OK but not much else. It was comical sometimes and I would suspect that 5000 year old dinosaurs are equally as amusing to students.

Reaction Score
When I attended HS in NYC many many years ago NY law did not allow the teaching of non asexual reproduction in biology class. I think amoebas and maybe frogs were OK but not much else. It was comical sometimes and I would suspect that 5000 year old dinosaurs are equally as amusing to students.

Do you have kids? If so, how did you figure out what to do? Amazing.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Looks like the Rent if both sides were complete, impressive

Reaction Score
Nice to meet you, Mr. Scopes.

Reaction Score
"Saturday Night Lights" (the book, not the movie) does a terrific job of discussing HS football in Texas including stadium cost, six-figure salaries for full-time coaches (that do nothing else) and other excesses. It's not a football book. It's a readable study of culture and sociology.

Yeah I read that book back in the nineties. I think Rolling Stone did a follow up story on Permian ten years after the book came out and took a look at the culture change that took place as a result.

If you want a good read on a program with exactly the opposite culture and resources that the likes of some of these power programs (but just as successful on the field), read "The Right Kind of Heroes" about coach Bob Shannon and the East St. Louis Flyers. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom