OT: 2015 NBA Draft Projections | The Boneyard

OT: 2015 NBA Draft Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it me or does this draft seem kind of light on big names? I see no sure franchise player or a future All NBAer coming in. Townes and Okafor are good and will get better with age. But they don't appear to be impact players, just perhaps players who can 'hold it down' which is enough for certain teams. Perhaps Mudiay and Russell may have the best future of all of them.

Appears like a draft for good bench/role players (e.g. Dekker), including contributors.

Here's some names: linky

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There a couple names here with NBA BUST written all over them. What else is new. I will leave it to the experts like CallmeBruce to give the almighty definitive word on this gene pool. I can hardly wait! :)

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
With all the talk about the big men in this draft (Towns, Okafor, Kaminsky), I think this draft will be remembered for its guards. I really see Mudiay and D'Angelo Russell making the biggest impact in the NBA. Especially Russell. Kid is going to be good.

Reaction Score
idk what else towns could have done to convince you hes a franchise player. i think hes awesome

Reaction Score
It's just tough to project with all the freshman. The classic comparison for Okafor is Big Al and I totally see it. I think Towns is going to be a monster. I wouldn't be shocked if any of Winslow, Johnson, Russell became all NBA types or role players. I have a bad bias against Russell since I saw him play very mediocre against Ali in HS and only caught a couple of his college games. Being a GM is a tough job.

Reaction Score
idk what else towns could have done to convince you hes a franchise player. i think hes awesome
Limited game views I will admit. Also college competition (not his fault).

caw

Reaction Score
I would put money on at least one of Winslow, Oubre or Johnson being very good in the NBA. The GMs have to figure out which one(s). Winslow seems the most likely.

Reaction Score
I would put money on at least one of Winslow, Oubre or Johnson being very good in the NBA. The GMs have to figure out which one(s). Winslow seems the most likely.

I think Oubre within 3 years or so becomes a very good NBA player also.

Reaction Score
I think this draft is going to be spectacular - best since 2008 (which is a killer class even with the injuries to Rose and Gordon). Towns & Okafor are each No. 1 pick-caliber, and the wings (Winslow, Oubre, Hezonja and maaaybe Johnson) all have exceptional upside.

I could see the PGs going either way - obviously Mudiay & Russell are the surest bets, but I'd throw Dunn into that group as well if it wasn't for the injuries. I'm not sold on Grant at all, but the talent's there, while Jones could end up being a Mike Conley-esque player if he continues his defensive improvement.

I have hopes for Kaminsky (I think he's a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge - just a murderous passer/scorer from the elbow) but he'll need to land in the right spot with a smart team that moves the ball and understands defensive rotations (I hope the Hawks get him). WCS, Turner and Dekker will be busts, and Looney is going to be the guy who, in five years, everybody looks back at and says "damn, he should have gone 10 spots higher."

Reaction Score
I think this draft is going to be spectacular - best since 2008 (which is a killer class even with the injuries to Rose and Gordon). Towns & Okafor are each No. 1 pick-caliber, and the wings (Winslow, Oubre, Hezonja and maaaybe Johnson) all have exceptional upside.

I could see the PGs going either way - obviously Mudiay & Russell are the surest bets, but I'd throw Dunn into that group as well if it wasn't for the injuries. I'm not sold on Grant at all, but the talent's there, while Jones could end up being a Mike Conley-esque player if he continues his defensive improvement.

I have hopes for Kaminsky (I think he's a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge - just a murderous passer/scorer from the elbow) but he'll need to land in the right spot with a smart team that moves the ball and understands defensive rotations (I hope the Hawks get him). WCS, Turner and Dekker will be busts, and Looney is going to be the guy who, in five years, everybody looks back at and says "damn, he should have gone 10 spots higher."

I like looney, disagree on kaminsky. He can't guard his position. Anybody who touches him in the lottery is drunk. I also disagree on the 'best since', i think the 09-2011 drafts were all much much better than this year. especially 09 which was a ridiculous draft that boasted the likes of curry AND harden ( two mvp candidates).

Max/ all nba level players: Okafor (who i've come around on, use to think he was too slow footed/predictable. But atleast he has a defined skillset, KAT could end being derrek favors), Mudiay, Hezonja

Solid rotation/starters on contender: Stanley Johnson, Looney, Winslow, Russell, KAT

Sleeper picks after 24 into second round: Cliff alexander, Michael Frazier, Anthony Brown, Trez harrell, Michael Qualls, Dakari Johnson, Olivier Hanlan( is he in the draft?)

Prospects I wouldn't draft: Tyus Jones, Kaminsky, RJ hunter, Bobby Portis ( despite his insane production, just doesn't seem like an nba athlete), Oubre, Rashad Vaughn, Rozier, Myles Turner.

Reaction Score
I like looney, disagree on kaminsky. He can't guard his position. Anybody who touches him in the lottery is drunk.
Well, the Hawks pick at No. 15 and I'd bet that's the floor for where he goes. Personally I hope that he ends up with Sacto as a floor-spacing 4 to work with Rudy & Boogie.

I also disagree on the 'best since', i think the 09-2011 drafts were all much much better than this year. especially 09 which was a ridiculous draft that boasted the likes of curry AND harden ( two mvp candidates).
09 had 3 great players, but only one other true all-star caliber player (Teague). And there were two of the biggest lottery busts in recent memory, and a very hit-or-complete-miss second round.

Max/ all nba level players: Okafor (who i've come around on, use to think he was too slow footed/predictable. But atleast he has a defined skillset, KAT could end being derrek favors), Mudiay, Hezonja

Solid rotation/starters on contender: Stanley Johnson, Looney, Winslow, Russell, KAT
I like the Favors comparison (and actually have made it before myself). What I think will make KAT even better is his ability to pass from the post - he's very, very good - and the fact that he's an 80% shooter from the stripe. I think he's going to be the cornerstone of a winning franchise for more than a decade.

Sleeper picks after 24 into second round: Cliff alexander, Michael Frazier, Anthony Brown, Trez harrell, Michael Qualls, Dakari Johnson, Olivier Hanlan( is he in the draft?)

Prospects I wouldn't draft: Tyus Jones, Kaminsky, RJ hunter, Bobby Portis ( despite his insane production, just doesn't seem like an nba athlete), Oubre, Rashad Vaughn, Rozier, Myles Turner.
It'll be interesting to come back to this post some day! You should bookmark it and then rub it in my face re: Kaminsky if he's a bust.

But I really, really don't think he will be.

Reaction Score
I think this draft is a great one. I really like Russell,Winslow,Mudiay and a sleeper in Jerrian Grant .

Reaction Score
@Matrim55 Yeah I'm just not sold on kaminsky being able to bring it on defense in the nba. A slow footed stretch 5, sounds a bit like bargnani ha. I would probably draft him after 15 if he was available now that I think about it.

Reaction Score
@Matrim55 Yeah I'm just not sold on kaminsky being able to bring it on defense in the nba. A slow footed stretch 5, sounds a bit like bargnani ha. I would probably draft him after 15 if he was available now that I think about it.
I think he'll end up being adequate on defense because he's so smart, and because NBA coaches have gotten better at using creative schemes to hide minus defenders (think about Blake with the Clippers).

And really, I just love big men who can pass. They open up the game in a different way than most teams are used to, and can make basketball beautiful.

Reaction Score
Hope our Bobcats er Hornets find a scorer. Still mad at MJ for MKG instead of Andre!!!

Reaction Score
Hope our Bobcats er Hornets find a scorer. Still mad at MJ for MKG instead of Andre!!!
Andre at 2 at the time would've been a reach, but now we know he probably should've gone second so we can look back and say this. He had all the upside but the question marks (albeit many of them wrong) were there.

Reaction Score
Yeah but he redeemed himself with the Zeller pick:eek:

Reaction Score
Then you must not have high hopes for Okafor on offense. Frank did a great job defensively on him.

I could see Frank being Bargnani or I could see him being a very very good player in the NBA, I have hard time figuring out/deciding on what I think he will be at the next level.

Reaction Score
Then you must not have high hopes for Okafor on offense. Frank did a great job defensively on him.

I could see Frank being Bargnani or I could see him being a very very good player in the NBA, I have hard time figuring out/deciding on what I think he will be at the next level.
thats true, but I also think the lack of defensive threenkey in college makes it easier to guard post threats. He'll be harder to scheme at the next level, or atleast thats my opinion. I have a hard time with Dekker, the way you do with kaminsky. I can't tell exactly what dekker does when he becomes a pro. could be a legit steal, could be a bust. no Idea on him. He has great size and athleticism for a wing, but not a very creative/talented offense skillset for a wing, starting with his inconsistent jumper.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
thats true, but I also think the lack of defensive threenkey in college makes it easier to guard post threats. He'll be harder to scheme at the next level, or atleast thats my opinion. I have a hard time with Dekker, the way you do with kaminsky. I can't tell exactly what dekker does when he becomes a pro. could be a legit steal, could be a bust. no Idea on him. He has great size and athleticism for a wing, but not a very creative/talented offense skillset for a wing, starting with his inconsistent jumper.

My thoughts exactly on Dekker.

caw

Reaction Score
Im not sold on the skinny Euro PF dude. The SG Euro looks pretty interesting though.

caw

Reaction Score
I think Oubre within 3 years or so becomes a very good NBA player also.

He has Caron Butler ceiling. Not sure he reaches it, he has to work on his handle.

Winslow is a lot like MKG with a decent jumper.

Johnson seems a bit of a tweeter though, maybe like another Arizona guy.

Reaction Score
Dekker seems like a poor man's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Not sold on him at all. He had big games in college when he was bigger and more athletic than everyone else, but that won't be the case in the NBA. 14 and 6 (with ordinary passing ability) as a junior in college doesn't really scream first round pick to me. `

@Matrim55 I would consider 2012 to be a high-level draft class. You've already got four blue-chippers in Davis, Beal, Lillard and Drummond, maybe even five depending on how you consider Draymond Green. And we're still less than three years removed from draft day, so a lot of guys (like Lamb, hopefully) are still trying to find their identity.

Reaction Score
Winslow and Russell should both be very good. Mudiay possibly has the highest ceiling but with a little more bust potential plus I don't know what his jumper looks like. KAT will go #1 but not really sold on him. Okafor is what he is, and I'm not sure he's any better than what Enes Kanter has done since he got to OKC. Kaminsky should be a really solid rotation player for a long time as long as he goes to Spurs/Hawks/Mavs/Celts or a team that moves the ball a lot and looks for open 3s. Still think Rozier is the best value pick from the mid-1st on, dude was arguably better than Trez who had pre-season all-america and even some NPOTY hype, also he was only a Soph and spent a lot of time on ball due to Ville's PG situation being so terrible all season, definitely think his upside is higher than anyone else on the board in the mid-late 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom