OT – BCS Scenarios | The Boneyard

OT – BCS Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok, Auburn beats Alabama and wins the SEC in arguably the hardest college football conference. With 1 loss, does Auburn vault either undefeated Florida St (ACC) or undefeated Ohio St (B1G) for a BCS title shot assuming both win their respective conference championships and remain undefeated?
What if both Ohio St and Florida St lose? Would it then be Auburn and Alabama for the BCS title game? I think Michigan St is more likely to pull an upset with their defense.
I am not going to miss the BCS after this year.
If this was 2014/5, i.e. no BCS, what are the 4 teams in? 1) Auburn, 2) Florida St, 3) Ohio St, 4) Stanford?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To your question - no they won't vault Ohio State or Florida State.

There is about a zero percent chance Florida State loses.

Depends on if Missouri beats Texas A&M. If they beat Auburn and Ohio State loses I imagine they would play Florida State.

If Auburn beats Missouri or South Carolina and Ohio State loses I imagine they play Florida State.

If South Carolina wins the SEC and Ohio State loses - you've got Alabama and Florida State probably.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State loses.

Reaction Score
Ok, Auburn beats Alabama and wins the SEC in arguably the hardest college football conference. With 1 loss, does Auburn vault either undefeated Florida St (ACC) or undefeated Ohio St (B1G) for a BCS title shot assuming both win their respective conference championships and remain undefeated?
What if both Ohio St and Florida St lose? Would it then be Auburn and Alabama for the BCS title game? I think Michigan St is more likely to pull an upset with their defense.
I am not going to miss the BCS after this year.
If this was 2014/5, i.e. no BCS, what are the 4 teams in? 1) Auburn, 2) Florida St, 3) Ohio St, 4) Stanford?
Are you kidding me? You would take Stanford over Bama in a 4 team scenario?
This year if Auburn wins the SEC championship game they are in. If FSU and OSU both win convincingly that will be the difficult choice. If they both lose or perhaps do not win convincingly the door is still ajar for an Auburn Bama rematch. I'd buy a ticket for that game, wouldn't you?

Reaction Score
Auburn has too far to go, to get into number 2 spot. Even if they win the SEC champ game. Looks like ACC vs B1G NC Game. My worst nightmare.

Ranking Team BCS Average
1 Alabama (11-0) .988
2 Florida State (11-0) .970
3 Ohio State (11-0) .920
4 Auburn (10-1) .824

Reaction Score
I think it will be Ohio St. and Fl. St. because of the horrible system that's still in place.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there was a four team playoff this year and Ok State beats OU I would venture they would be in, with FSU, OSU and whoever wins the SEC.

Reaction Score
The only way FSU doesn't take out Duke is if Jaimus Winston gets arrested. I doubt that happens during the season, if at all.

Reaction Score
Heard on a few sports radio networks that there will be some Harris poll voters that will rank Auburn higher than Ohio St, but that there may not be enough of them to skew the BCS poll in Auburns favor.

It will be interesting to see what happens

Reaction Score
I guess the other bowl issue is there are currently 77 bowl eligible teams for 70 bowl spots. There are going to be a few bowl eligible teams staying home.

Reaction Score
HomeKing93 said:
I guess the other bowl issue is there are currently 77 bowl eligible teams for 70 bowl spots. There are going to be a few bowl eligible teams staying home.

I hope Rutgers wins against USF and isn't selected for a bowl game. That would be priceless.

Reaction Score
Knew Gus Malzahn would kick wherever he went. Was hopelessly pining for him to take the UConn job. If he stays at Auburn, and he probably will, get ready to hear about Auburn a lot in the future.

We should have fired PP immediately and given Malzahn a HUGE contract before he signed with Arkansas State. But he is a southerner at heart.

Reaction Score
Based on the game yesterday, if Rutgers wins next week and becomes bowl eligible, but doesn't get an invite, are yougoing to lose any sleep over it? None of the last 20 or so eligible teams belong in a bowl.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The American has 6 bowl tie ins and only 4 bowl eligible teams. So Rutgers and SMU can both win and all 6 make bowls.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The pecking order will be (should be):
1. Undefeated FSU or OSU
2. SEC Champion Missouri
3. SEC Champion Auburn
4. Alabama (but should be Pac 12 Champion Stanford)
5. Stanford (but should be Big 12 Champion Ok St.)
6. Big Ten Champion MSU

The idea that a team that can't win the subdivision of it's conference deserves to play for the national title in a non-round robin setup is about as unlogical as is gets. The idea is to find the best team. By definition, we know it's not Alabama bec ause their are two better teams in the SEC.

Same should apply next year, win your conference, at larges need not apply in a four team playoff for 120+ team subdivision with 11 conferences.

Reaction Score
The pecking order will be (should be):
1. Undefeated FSU or OSU
2. SEC Champion Missouri
3. SEC Champion Auburn
4. Alabama (but should be Pac 12 Champion Stanford)
5. Stanford (but should be Big 12 Champion Ok St.)
6. Big Ten Champion MSU

The idea that a team that can't win the subdivision of it's conference deserves to play for the national title in a non-round robin setup is about as unlogical as is gets. The idea is to find the best team. By definition, we know it's not Alabama bec ause their are two better teams in the SEC.

Same should apply next year, win your conference, at larges need not apply in a four team playoff for 120+ team subdivision with 11 conferences.
Stanford has 2 losses. They should be off your list.

Reaction Score
By definition, we know it's not Alabama because their are two better teams in the SEC.

We know one team is better than Alabama. Just because a team they didn't play won the other division does not make them better than Alabama.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Stanford has 2 losses. They should be off your list.

My bad, east coast bias, move up Ok St. and MSU and add B12 champion Baylor to the bottom (getting blown out matters)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
We know one team is better than Alabama. Just because a team they didn't play won the other division does not make them better than Alabama.

Unless the division in question is the AFC west, the second place team doesn't play for the national title. If Auburn loses, that make Bama the 3rd best team in the SEC at best. There are 10 teams if given a shot in that game can win a one and done. Bama's just one of them, but they blew their claim. Next case.

Reaction Score
Unless the division in question is the AFC west, the second place team doesn't play for the national title. If Auburn loses, that make Bama the 3rd best team in the SEC at best. There are 10 teams if given a shot in that game can win a one and done. Bama's just one of them, but they blew their claim. Next case.
The eastern division of the SEC is far weaker than the western division is this year so your argument is not valid.

Reaction Score
Aside from all the various scenarios that have been discussed above, what teams mentioned above would be favored over Alabama by the bookies in a national title game? Maybe FSU by a point or two, and I stress maybe. Any of the rest and I am sure Alabama is the favorite. They might make it a pick-em with Auburn.

Reaction Score
I agree with this logic wholly, which was why Alabama getting the rematch against LSU a couple of years ago still makes me angry. That they won is irrelevant (bowl season too detached from regular season--that will change, though).

Reaction Score
If auburn beats mizzu they will be #1 in the computers per Brad Edwards and that will probably be enough to jump Ohio state.

We already saw a bad Midwestern team blown out in the NC last year, I pray we can avoid it this year and auburn can jump OSU

Reaction Score
Aside from all the various scenarios that have been discussed above, what teams mentioned above would be favored over Alabama by the bookies in a national title game? Maybe FSU by a point or two, and I stress maybe. Any of the rest and I am sure Alabama is the favorite. They might make it a pick-em with Auburn.
The answer is none, they do all these lines, and the smallest would be bama -5 versus FSU

Reaction Score
Anyone who wants to see a competitive NC game better hope Michigan State beats OSU , which there is a good chance of, this Saturday because if Winston plays FSU will hang 70 on the Buckeyes. That defense is pathetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
The answer is none, they do all these lines, and the smallest would be bama -5 versus FSU

I thought I saw Bama at -3.5 to FSU on the lookaheads last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom