OSU loses to Florida Atlantic | The Boneyard

OSU loses to Florida Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I always think that way, too. It'll be tougher to beat X team after they lost to Y team. But I don't think there is any evidence that's actually true. I think it depends more on the individual team and how they will react to a loss like that. Some might falter further the next game, and continue a downward trend. Could take them 2+ games to bounce back. Could be that they come out on fire. Don't think it meaningfully changes how UConn prepares for or plays the game, or changes our odds of winning.

I did find one guy who did some statistical analysis that I think is pretty relevant here: College Basketball Teams Off a Road Loss Against a Good Team

Reaction Score
I think it'll be more about us than them. I'm hoping our guys come out fired up and motivated after squeaking out that win against a respectable foe (in name at least). I like that Purvis had a good game, I think that he and Brimah are in a way our emotional core. Jalen gets emotional too, but I feel like his emotions are more based on his production to that point in a game, Purvis and Brimah exude heart and can motivate the group.

We're all in love with Vital right? Kid is going to be HUGE in the long run, best part about the injuries is that kid coming out early as a bleed blue UConn guy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wish OSU had won - it will be tougher to beat them at home after this loss.

Maybe, but they still play UCLA after us. That helps.

Reaction Score
Ohio State RPI = 93, tougher than 'Cuse = 160, but still a huge upset if 210 ranked UConn can pull it off

I wish OSU had won - it will be tougher to beat them at home after this loss.

Reaction Score
ugh, RPI. The stat should be banned from existence. May as well throw darts at teams early in the year.

There are like 12 rating systems that do far better jobs, and we still end up talking about that crap more than any of them.

Reaction Score
Talking RPI on December 7th, ha.

Ohio States Kenpom is 33, Sargain 45 (Cuse is 27 and 35). Ohio State lost by only 2 at UVA and they remember the beatdown we gave them last year, it would be a huge win if we could get it. My guess is the line will be around OSU -10/-9

Reaction Score
Syracuse is awful, these rankings are worse than the RPI

how can you be top 35 when you don't have a win against a top 75 team? They were blown out by Wisky & South Carolina and lost to an awful UConn team

Way too early for RPI numbers.
Talking RPI on December 7th, ha.

Ohio States Kenpom is 33, Sargain 45 (Cuse is 27 and 35). Ohio State lost by only 2 at UVA and they remember the beatdown we gave them last year, it would be a huge win if we could get it. My guess is the line will be around OSU -10/-9

Reaction Score
For stuff like KenPom they don't look at wins and losses alone. They look at offensive and defensive performance, margin of victory or loss to evaluate how the team performs. It's reasonable to look at those early in the year to see how a team is playing. But it's still heavily influenced by the team's previous year outcome. What was the starting point for each team established by this formula...

RPI, on the other hand, is super simple. Wins, losses, where they happen, who they were against. It works ok as the year goes on with more data. It's imperfect, but fine by years end. But using it without 25 games per team is insane.

All in all though, I think we can expect Syracuse and OSU to be in the conversation in March. And that's good if we can beat both teams.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just as likely to give UConn players confidence OSU is beatable as to motivate OSU players to play better. Bottom line is UConn has to play like they did against BU and SU but get the baskets through the hoop.

Their execution in both games was great but holy batman they missed a ton of open shots.

Reaction Score
I hate hearing uconn being a awful team. Don't think we are. If we have no more injuries I believe we can be pretty dangerous . Probably will be winning ugly like the cuse game but this team will be gritty and go down fighting . Thats what I'm feeling and I like that.

C

Chief00

Tell me if I am wrong - but maybe a good case can be made to play Gilbert again this season - so the shoulder pops out again - then maybe go the surgery route. There may be difference of opinion how much additional damage can be done by waiting until after the season or reoccurrence for surgery?
I know it's his family's decision but the guidance could impact that decision.

Reaction Score
They are awful, what are you watching?

Can't score consistently. They have 2 guys (both streaky) who can score and then guys like Facey, SE, Brimah, CV, etc.

I hate hearing uconn being a awful team. Don't think we are. If we have no more injuries I believe we can be pretty dangerous . Probably will be winning ugly like the cuse game but this team will be gritty and go down fighting . Thats what I'm feeling and I like that.

pj

Reaction Score
Tell me if I am wrong - but maybe a good case can be made to play Gilbert again this season - so the shoulder pops out again - then maybe go the surgery route. There may be difference of opinion how much additional damage can be done by waiting until after the season or reoccurrence for surgery?
I know it's his family's decision but the guidance could impact that decision.

You're wrong. You don't want to worsen this injury. One way or another, rest and rehab or surgery, you want it healed before he plays again.

C

Chief00

You're wrong. You don't want to worsen this injury. One way or another, rest and rehab or surgery, you want it healed before he plays again.
So what went wrong with the last surgery solution last summer?

pj

Reaction Score
So what went wrong with the last surgery solution last summer?

Can't know from a distance, but 99 times out of 100, a major factor in recurring joint injuries is poor nutrition. The nutrients for joints are among the most common nutritional deficiencies. A second contributing factor is not getting enough sleep / rest at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom