Ostrout talked to JC tonight at HOF dinner | The Boneyard

Ostrout talked to JC tonight at HOF dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great article and it points out why we need to let him name his replacement.....namely that he will continue working for the school and be involved in the program which is something we all should want. Not to mention that it can be assumed that the likes of Ray Allen, Emeka Okafor, etc, etc will support Ollie and Calhoun. Lastly maybe Ollie will be a great coach...The guy spent half his life working with Calhoun and Larry Brown, something may have rubbed off. Win, Win for everyone.

Who do you want naming your basketball coach, an offensive lineman from Michigan or Jim Calhoun? Why is there even a debate.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've always believed that his health was the only possible thing that would keep JC from coaching until ~75 and while I see nothing altering my opinion, I do believe that the combination of spinal stenosis last winter & his broken hip has had enough impact that the end is very close.

People may want to speculate that he is playing games and wants to force the school into choosing his hand picked candidate to replace him. I disagree fully. I believe that this (his health ending his career) is an extremely difficult thing for him to fully accept and that it may well be a larger obstacle than any of us realizes. I also believe that he would never do anything to hurt the program or the school (to the point where if he knew for example Shaka Smart would take the job and that Smart would be the best candidate, he would recommend that Smart, not Ollie replace him) and that he will do everything he can to assist the program after he does hang it up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, I've thought that he'd be leaving for a while now but reading these articles makes me realize that "this time, its real". It will be a sad day in many, many ways but like any transition event (graduations, etc.) an exciting one as well. Kevin is going to get his shot, in a lower stress environment. Manual saves face because of the late notice and "interim" label and he has a get out of jail free card if Kevin doesn't get the job done. Herbst? Well Herbst establishes herself as a skilled administrator, repected by all camps. She also gets a powerful ally in Jim Calhoun, who will be a positive force for this university for years. All in all, the time is right and things are coming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom