Ossining versus Christ the King 4:40 today (Friday 4 Jan) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ossining versus Christ the King 4:40 today (Friday 4 Jan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Her defense is atrocious.

Saniya certainly has the ability to play excellent defense; fast/quick hands, fast/quick feet, great anticipation, leaping ability (Saniya jumps center for Ossining) etc., etc.. I think what people see sometimes is more a function of what, I believe coach Ricci wants from Saniya…. Be a disruptive force on the perimeter…take risks…..harass the opposing guards, get in passing lanes, etc..She’s probably been told to keep her fouls to a minimum, and if an offensive player gets a half step on her, then let her go by……thus, the “Matador” defense people sometimes see from Saniya.

I’ve seen Saniya play eight times; she’s made some spectacular defensive plays of all types….blocks, steals,. deflections, etc.. She has the ability…..and when she gets to UConn and learns how to play Geno’s “Team Defense”, UConn fans will see just how good Saniya can be on the defensive side of the ball.

Go UConn! Kick Notre Dames butt tomorrow.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Saniya certainly has the ability to play excellent defense; fast/quick hands, fast/quick feet, great anticipation, leaping ability (Saniya jumps center for Ossining) etc., etc.. I think what people see sometimes is more a function of what, I believe coach Ricci wants from Saniya…. Be a disruptive force on the perimeter…take risks…..harass the opposing guards, get in passing lanes, etc..She’s probably been told to keep her fouls to a minimum, and if an offensive player gets a half step on her, then let her go by……thus, the “Matador” defense people sometimes see from Saniya.

I’ve seen Saniya play eight times; she’s made some spectacular defensive plays of all types….blocks, steals,. deflections, etc.. She has the ability…..and when she gets to UConn and learns how to play Geno’s “Team Defense”, UConn fans will see just how good Saniya can be on the defensive side of the ball.

Go UConn! Kick Notre Dames butt tomorrow.

Yes, I was referring to the Matador defense I saw on several occasions today. With her long arms and quickness she has the physical tools to be a pretty good defender. She'll learn that at UConn.

Reaction Score
29 points in the 4th quarter -- and that is an 8 minute quarter. Some intentional fouls and free throws in the last 2 or 3 minutes help explain this huge scoring output.

Saniya had some great passes -- mostly in the 1st half. She will be an assist machine at UConn. She is a wonderfully relaxed player. Moves very fast with very little effort.

Olde Coach, I think what Saniya tries to do at the start of games is get her teammates involved early. She knows the other team wants to put the clamps on her, so she initially tries to help her teammates score in the first several minutes of the game. And then, later on, she gets her scoring going.

I was at the game against CTK today and Saniya tried to do the same thing again. Unfortunately, at least 6 times, in the early going, passes she threw were fumbled, or layups missed, on easy scoring opportunities for Ossining.

I think you are exactly right, “She will be an assist machine at UConn”………….and I’ll add ….a scoring machine when needed. CTK could not cover Saniya one-on-one….she was more than a handful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
29 points in an 8-minute quarter despite the flu. Including 14 straight free throws. Sounds like a gamer. :)

I hope Sierra decides that she'd like to play alongside Saniya.

Reaction Score
So who gets that Scarborough kid, who played her heart out for CTK? And what about that eighth grader for Ossining? Let's keep an eye on her, yes?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Rick Carpiniello: Saniya Chong takes over late in win vs. Royals

Chong had been shut out in the first quarter by one of the best teams any area team will play this season; she’d missed a couple of free throws and had just nine points at the half.
And her teammates — her mostly very young teammates — kept Ossining in the game and kind of lived up to the team nickname, which happens to be Pride.
Eventually Chong got going, and boy, she gets unstoppable then. She had 17 points after three quarters, and then piled up 29 of Ossining’s 32 points in the fourth to finish with 46 to go along with 11 assists, seven rebounds, four steals and two big blocked shots in an 89-84 win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno noticed the 8th grader:

Eighth-grader Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 18, including five 3-pointers — and Auriemma raved about her to Ricci after the game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Remember what happened when Ossining played ArchBishop Molloy in their opener. Ossining led by 27 points late in the third quarter....Saniya had 37 by that time. She fouled out. AM closed the gap to the final score of 95-88....outscoring Ossining by 20 points in about 9 minutes. That would certainly lead the coach to emphasize to Saniya that she needs to be on the court....and if that means less 'd'...so be it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno noticed the 8th grader:

Eighth-grader Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 18, including five 3-pointers — and Auriemma raved about her to Ricci after the game.

It was impossible not to notice Espinoza-Hunter. Her body and court composure are well-beyond her years. I'm not surprised Geno took notice.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was impossible not to notice Espinoza-Hunter. Her body and court composure are well-beyond her years. I'm not surprised Geno took notice.
Possibly the best 8th grade shooter since EDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom