Oscar Noms | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oscar Noms

Reaction Score
Yea I usually catch up after the fact. So many of them are still in theaters this year and having a 16 month old I haven't had much of a chance to see many. I've only seen Logan, Dunkirk, Get Out and The Big Sick. My opinion of them is much like Fishy's.

I bet @8893 could lend an opinion or three.

Edit: Lol, speak of the devil.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yea I usually catch up after the fact. So many of them are still in theaters this year and having a 16 month old I haven't had much of a chance to see many. I've only seen Logan, Dunkirk, Get Out and The Big Sick. My opinion of them is much like Fishy's.

I bet @8893 could lend an opinion or three.

Edit: Lol, speak of the devil.
Who you calling devil?

Reaction Score
I've only seen Get Out and Dunkirk. Of the two, I think Get Out is a terrific movie. However, of the two, Dunkirk is probably more along the lines of something that would more likely win.

Reaction Score
I'm not going too deep into it, but I saw Get Out because it was getting some good word of mouth. Good little horror-ish movie. However, the idea that it is Oscar worthy for anything is unbelievably silly.

Only other things I saw were Logan, which I didn't particularly like, and Dunkirk. Dunkirk was good, but not quite as good as I expected it to be.

Now that the nominations are out, I'll try and see a few others, but there seems to be more obscure drek in there than usual. Shape of Water, Darkest Hour, and Three Billboards look the most interesting, or the only ones interesting at all.

Reaction Score
I'm not going too deep into it, but I saw Get Out because it was getting some good word of mouth. Good little horror-ish movie. However, the idea that it is Oscar worthy for anything is unbelievably silly.

Only other things I saw were Logan, which I didn't particularly like, and Dunkirk. Dunkirk was good, but not quite as good as I expected it to be.

Now that the nominations are out, I'll try and see a few others, but there seems to be more obscure drek in there than usual. Shape of Water, Darkest Hour, and Three Billboards look the most interesting, or the only ones interesting at all.

Funny, usually when the Oscar nominations come out I'm interested in seeing a few of the nominated films, but certainly not all of them. This year is different for me. Right now I figure I might see seven or eight of the films nominated for best picture, an unusually high number for me. I'm really looking forward to Lady Bird and The Shape of Water.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw I, Tonya today. Terrific film. Great casting, directing and editing. Great soundtrack. Really fun and compelling.

Allison Janney will probably be bringing home the statue for this. Margot Robbie is very good but the supporting cast all around her is fantastic imo. Gillooly is great and his buddy Shawn steals the show. Harding's coach is also excellent. Played by Julianne Nicholson? Never heard of her before but she's one to watch. Also Bobby Canavale does a good job as the Hard Copy reporter.

This and Lady Bird are far and away my favorites of the Oscar films I've seen so far, but I still need to see Darkest Hour.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't seen I, Tonya...but I did actually see Tonya Harding in a mall in Portland when I was a kid. This was well before the incident w/ Kerrigan, but she always had a reputation locally for being volatile. I was a bit scared despite the fact she was 5 foot nothing. I made sure to not stare at her.

Reaction Score
I think biggest lock is Gary Oldman for best actor in The Darkest Hour.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think biggest lock is Gary Oldman for best actor in The Darkest Hour.
Funny I haven’t seen any of the best actor movies yet. And that’s probably the only one I’m likely to see.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't seen I, Tonya...but I did actually see Tonya Harding in a mall in Portland when I was a kid. This was well before the incident w/ Kerrigan, but she always had a reputation locally for being volatile. I was a bit scared despite the fact she was 5 foot nothing. I made sure to not stare at her.
Well good to know the movie wasn’t overplaying that hand then. She was certainly portrayed as volatile.

Reaction Score
Funny I haven’t seen any of the best actor movies yet. And that’s probably the only one I’m likely to see.

It is excellent. Highly recommend it.

Reaction Score
So my wife and I are trying to catch up a little before the awards. We've seen Shape of Water, Three Billboards, and Lady Bird this week. I watched Get Out for a second time with her, but she fell asleep to that one. Sorry, no way that is an Oscar caliber movie. Not even close. All three that we saw this week were vastly better than Get Out. Bet it wins for best original screenplay, tho. It can't not win something, or course. We may see I, Tonya or Disaster Artist tonight to close things out. Also saw Dunkirk earlier, so we're at 5/10 Best Picture noms.

Reaction Score
So my wife and I are trying to catch up a little before the awards. We've seen Shape of Water, Three Billboards, and Lady Bird this week. I watched Get Out for a second time with her, but she fell asleep to that one. Sorry, no way that is an Oscar caliber movie. Not even close. All three that we saw this week were vastly better than Get Out. Bet it wins for best original screenplay, tho. It can't not win something, or course. We may see I, Tonya or Disaster Artist tonight to close things out. Also saw Dunkirk earlier, so we're at 5/10 Best Picture noms.
Saw Disaster Artist pretty recently, really enjoyed it. Both Franco’s did great.

Reaction Score
Margot Robbie and Allison Janney were great and should win in my opinion.

I thought that Rockwell’s character underwent a reconciliation but not a redemption. The redemption comes after...

If these liberal snowflakes don’t believe in reconciliation then what is the point of fighting racism and defeating ignorance? Once people change you have to welcome them into the the fold other wise you fail.

Politics aside Rockwell did a good job as always and may have even stole the show from McDormand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Margot Robbie and Allison Janney were great and should win in my opinion.

I thought that Rockwell’s character underwent a reconciliation but not a redemption. The redemption comes after...

If these liberal snowflakes don’t believe in reconciliation then what is the point of fighting racism and defeating ignorance? Once people change you have to welcome them into the the fold other wise you fail.

Politics aside Rockwell did a good job as always and may have even stole the show from McDormand.
Agree with Janney and Rockwell. Robbie was good but imo suffers a bit from the fact that she didn't really look or sound at all like Tonya Harding. Not her fault of course (and she is better looking), but it's tough when people still have a strong memory of the character you're playing.

I think McDormand or the woman from The Shape of Water will win Best Actress.

I don't get any political association with Rockwell's character at all, nor with Three Billboards... generally. Thought it was very well acted and interesting to watch, and that's about it. I think I mentioned this elsewhere but when Rockwell said it was a movie about compassion (when accepting the Golden Globe) , I just didn't get that. Woody was the only character who showed compassion from what I saw.

Reaction Score
Agree with Janney and Rockwell. Robbie was good but imo suffers a bit from the fact that she didn't really look or sound at all like Tonya Harding. Not her fault of course (and she is better looking), but it's tough when people still have a strong memory of the character you're playing.

I think McDormand or the woman from The Shape of Water will win Best Actress.

I don't get any political association with Rockwell's character at all, nor with Three Billboards... generally. Thought it was very well acted and interesting to watch, and that's about it. I think I mentioned this elsewhere but when Rockwell said it was a movie about compassion (when accepting the Golden Globe) , I just didn't get that. Woody was the only character who showed compassion from what I saw.

The most powerful scene for me was when the advertising kid who Rockwell threw out the window had mercy on Rockwell and helped him drink some orange juice. The movie was about broken people healing, forgiveness and a bunch of other things that were pretty subtle.

Robbie doesn’t look like Harding, but her acting was so good that I forgot about that because she acted like what we expect Tonya to be and a bit more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Of the best picture nominees I saw Dunkirk and will see The Finest Hour soon. I really don’t even have any interest in the others. I liked Dunkirk more than most of you did.

Looking at the list, it’s like they went out of their way to nominate mostly films that would not have wide appeal or popularity. I think this is a ridiculous trend, which makes the Oscars increasingly less relevant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The movie was about broken people healing, forgiveness and a bunch of other things that were pretty subtle.

Too subtle for me then I guess. I mean, Chief Willoughby was wrongly maligned but still conducted himself with grace; yet he died without vindication. Dixon and Mildred are joined by their shared sense of vigilante justice, to the point where they may or may not be headed to kill a guy who didn't kill Mildred's daughter, but *may* still be a rapist. I have a hard time seeing forgiveness or healing there.

Robbie doesn’t look like Harding, but her acting was so good that I forgot about that because she acted like what we expect Tonya to be and a bit more.
I agree with this; she actually almost made me forget what Harding really looked like, which is why I thought it was cool that they ended with the credits rolling over real footage.

I still think the supporting cast carried the movie though. All of them were excellent imo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of the best picture nominees I saw Dunkirk and will see The Finest Hour soon. I really don’t even have any interest in the others. I liked Dunkirk more than most of you did.

Looking at the list, it’s like they went out of their way to nominate mostly films that would not have wide appeal or popularity. I think this is a ridiculous trend, which makes the Oscars increasingly less relevant.
You should see Lady Bird and I, Tonya. Both excellent and very relatable.

Reaction Score

I liked Dunkirk. The aviation scenes were cutting edge.

I am a HUGE Nolan fan. I didn’t think it was one of his best movies though.

Reaction Score
Too subtle for me then I guess. I mean, Chief Willoughby was wrongly maligned but still conducted himself with grace; yet he died without vindication. Dixon and Mildred are joined by their shared sense of vigilante justice, to the point where they may or may not be headed to kill a guy who didn't kill Mildred's daughter, but *may* still be a rapist. I have a hard time seeing forgiveness or healing there.

I agree with this; she actually almost made me forget what Harding really looked like, which is why I thought it was cool that they ended with the credits rolling over real footage.

I still think the supporting cast carried the movie though. All of them were excellent imo.

She forgave him when she saw him save the file that she almost burned up. Subtle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom