Oscar Nominations 2022 | The Boneyard

Oscar Nominations 2022

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thoughts? I largely stopped caring because the Oscars became even more political than they used to be. Here are the best picture noms
Power of the Dog leads in nominations. Haven't seen it. Haven't really heard of it. Critics and audiences give it good marks.
Dune does pretty well too. Will this be the year the movie audiences liked best actually wins best picture?
Don't Look Up. It was clever, but come on. Joke nomination.
Belfast. Deserving of a nomination. Don't expect a win.
Nightmare Alley. The acting is great. It looks great. It's not a great movie. Shouldn't be nominated for best picture.
CODA. Haven't seen. The hearing impaired element appeals to me. Interested to see if the girl from Locke & Key can really act.
King Richard. Haven't seen. Not surprised it was nominated.
West Side Story. Critics loved it. Audiences didn't. Won't win.
Drive my Car. Read reviews suggesting this was really very good. Japanese movie. Probably wins foreign language film.
Licorice Pizza. This is a surprise.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of the Best Picture nominees the only ones I've seen so far are Power of the Dog, Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza.

I guess I'm not surprised by any of them because it was a pretty thin year for movies, but I don't think any of them are Oscar-worthy.

I was glad to see Andrew Garfield nominated for tick, tick...BOOM! His is the best performance among those I've seen.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Of the Best Picture nominees the only ones I've seen so far are Power of the Dog, Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza.

I guess I'm not surprised by any of them because it was a pretty thin year for movies, but I don't think any of them are Oscar-worthy.

I was glad to see Andrew Garfield nominated for tick, tick...BOOM! His is the best performance among those I've seen.

My daughter agrees with you on Garfield. I still haven't see it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Will Smith was really good in King Richard, to the point that I think a lot of the reviewers are not sure what they watched in that movie. Richard Williams public persona is a caricature, but Smith made him much more layered and complex. If anyone deserves a best supporting actress out of that movie it is Saniyya Sidney, who plays Venus Williams. The actress playing the mom was OK, but the mom was not nearly as interesting a character as Venus. I actually wanted more Venus in the movie, because while Venus is one of the 10 best players of all time, she was caught between this crazy father and a younger sister who everyone knew by the time Serena was 10 that she would be the greatest tennis player of all time. THAT is an interesting story.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thoughts? I largely stopped caring because the Oscars became even more political than they used to be. Here are the best picture noms
Power of the Dog leads in nominations. Haven't seen it. Haven't really heard of it. Critics and audiences give it good marks.
Dune does pretty well too. Will this be the year the movie audiences liked best actually wins best picture?
Nightmare Alley. The acting is great. It looks great. It's not a great movie. Shouldn't be nominated for best picture.
CODA. Haven't seen. The hearing impaired element appeals to me. Interested to see if the girl from Locke & Key can really act.
Drive my Car. Read reviews suggesting this was really very good. Japanese movie. Probably wins foreign language film.

I saw Coda and thought it was good. Not Oscar good, but good.

Reaction Score
Power of the Dog... Interesting, certainly, but very odd and tried hard to not let you in on the plot. Ultimately was very aimless and not Oscar material. Pretentious in the way you expect a movie with Oscar aspirations to be. But without the payoff. My wife hated it.

From a 4/10 review on IMDB:

"An art film set in the West is not a Western. Did it have good costume design? Sure. Was it set on a ranch? Yes. Horses? Yup. Did people have gun belts on? Yes. Was there a plot? No. Did I have any idea what was going on for the first hour? No. How about the second hour? Nope."

About sums it up.

Only quibble I have with the original post is it would seem audiences like Spider Man No Way Home more than Dune. YMMV

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Power of the Dog... Interesting, certainly, but very odd and tried hard to not let you in on the plot. Ultimately was very aimless and not Oscar material. Pretentious in the way you expect a movie with Oscar aspirations to be. But without the payoff. My wife hated it.

From a 4/10 review on IMDB:

"An art film set in the West is not a Western. Did it have good costume design? Sure. Was it set on a ranch? Yes. Horses? Yup. Did people have gun belts on? Yes. Was there a plot? No. Did I have any idea what was going on for the first hour? No. How about the second hour? Nope."

About sums it up.

Only quibble I have with the original post is it would seem audiences like Spider Man No Way Home more than Dune. YMMV

You are right. Honestly, Spideman No Way Home should have been nominated. It was clearly better than at least a few movies that were.

Reaction Score

I've been to the movies like twice in the last 10 years so the Oscars don't mean much to me anymore. That and the insufferable a@@-clowns made it unwatchable. It's too bad because I like seeing many of the actors. Now Ricky Gervais at the globes, that was fun.

I did see Don't Look Up so I do have viewing options, although we get the flix on the low. I thought Leo was extremely good in an unusual role. Then you got the rest of the cast so I give it a 7.2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom