Orlovsky on UConn Head Coach/OC position | The Boneyard

Orlovsky on UConn Head Coach/OC position

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Didn't see a thread on this, but Orlovsky on the Will Cain Show said he wouldn't consider either of those positions for us, really likes his current position at ESPN.

Reaction Score
Didn't see a thread on this, but Orlovsky on the Will Cain Show said he wouldn't consider either of those positions for us, really likes his current position at ESPN.

Dan is absolutely awesome at what he does, a breath of fresh air, you can tell he really prepares as an analyst. An ambassador for the program as well.

With that said hiring someone with no experience coaching to an O Coordinator or Head Coaching job is a recipe for failure

Reaction Score
Why does everyone assume that a star QB would be a great QB coach and OC? There is more to being OC than calling plays which a QB frequently does on the field.

Not picking on UConn, BC people say the same thing about Flutie.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Didn't need a thread for this.

Dan has a great job, and is very good at it. He would have to forgoe a lot of family-time to become a college football coach. He represents UConn well, and we all should wish him a long successful media career!
You could always ignore it, I've seen many people on this board suggest Dan for multiple positions related to our football team. Now we can stop mentioning him moving forward.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Please no grads of UConn should be hired. To coach any sport. Please have we not learned anything?
Folks pointed out Penders and that has been a great hire. Maybe we could put it this way.

Please no grads of UConn should be hired into a position that requires a significant buyout if it doesn't work.

Reaction Score
...with someone else's recruits and made the tournament once since then and that was due to a fluke 3/4 court

I don't care if he did it with the 95 Bulls. Coaches with more of "their own guys" with more talent never won one. But, Ok Boomer.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like Dan, enjoy watching him on ESPN when I'm watching ESPN, appreciate the fact that he chose UConn

And he can obviously see it's much easier to talk than it is to coach, plus quality time with friends and family must be exponentially better

I have often said sometimes it's better to "keep it simple stupid". This applies to coaches (and business owners) more so than anyone else, as so many leave a school they're great at to take a job they get fired from three years later (or they grow their business to a point of failure)

Quality of life matters

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Dan is doing well where he is. We should all be blessed with a great career like he has ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Why should we NOT assume he could do well here? He's been successful here, he's young, energetic, passionate about UCONN, and most of all knows what he is talking about when it comes to educating the viewer (and potential student athletes) when he breaks down film. I'd assume he would do well at coming up with game plans against opponents by watching their film.

I mean these are things that I think would go well into being a coach here.

It sucks he wouldn't take a job here, I don't mind admitting it.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
No signs of him making a change. Hopefully, he gives our offensive staff and team time in the film room during the off season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does everyone assume that a star QB would be a great QB coach and OC? There is more to being OC than calling plays which a QB frequently does on the field.

Not picking on UConn, BC people say the same thing about Flutie.

Honestly, it's his analytical skill, which he has showcased on Twitter and now ESPN that made me think he could be a good coach. It's not unusual that a long time backup QB is a keen observer of the game.

That said, he's got a good thing going right now and coaching would be a risk. As a family man, he's seems to be making the smart call by staying with the analyst role. He may wind up in a booth sooner or later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom