Orlando Sentinel on UCF joining the BE | The Boneyard

Orlando Sentinel on UCF joining the BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sounds like the author has a serious bone to pick with USF because of them not wanting UCF in the conference. Not USF's fault they got in the big boy conference and UCF didn't. If the roles were reversed UCF would do the same thing. There's a ton of competition in FL recruiting wise, no reason to welcome another school into the higher ranks unless you really have to.

Reaction Score
Bianchi is a Jerk.

You need to read the full arc of his columns over the last few years. YES ... he has had a hard-on against USF because they BLOCK UCF. OK. I get that. And, he desperately wanted UCF inclusion UNTIL he didn't in the last few hours.

But, frankly, you cannot be serious thinking the MWC-CUSA alliance is going to get traction in this environment. The Big 4 PLUS the soon to be B12 ... are going to keep feeding them scraps. Until there is a vast revolution led by US Justice or Senators.

And ... of course ... Bianchi has some truth: this is a fluid situation that an Entry by any University is frought with peril. I think all that go with us (in this new BE configuration) will grow far better here than in a lesser league. Then in 10 years ... the nonsense will be obvious.

Reaction Score
"Does it make financial sense for UCF to pay millions of dollars to get into a league that everybody else is paying millions of dollars to get out of?"

Unfortunately, that pretty much sums things up as they stand.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
so if we only added UCF a few years ago all of this would have been avoided...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
"The sad part is that all of this might have been avoided if the Big East leadership had a clue about football. If only they had listened to their football schools months and years ago and tried expand during a time of strength instead of this time of desperation."

For the sake of my team/school UConn, I hope to God the Big East emerges as a viable football conference and keeps its BCS bid, however the quote above is why I'm pessimistic about the league's future going forward. Its all water under the bridge at this point, and this league has to pick up the pieces the best way possible, but there was a real chance to solidify the Big East from its predator the ACC, and the presidents and conference leadership failed.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... they are the Messiah. Narrow-minded, ill-informed geek writer. You need to go back writing about the Magic losing Howard ... but that's on hiatus.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Most of these stories coming out are directed at the football schools. UCF and the rest are not paying exit fees to one league so they can join another that could dissolve within months. Shocking development.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Sounds like the author has a serious bone to pick with USF because of them not wanting UCF in the conference. Not USF's fault they got in the big boy conference and UCF didn't. If the roles were reversed UCF would do the same thing. There's a ton of competition in FL recruiting wise, no reason to welcome another school into the higher ranks unless you really have to.

One could say the same thing in regards to UCONN and BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What I get from all this process of realignment(conferences, universities, press, fans and so forth) is that we relate to each other until we don't relate to each other.

When we perceive someone helps us we form a relationship. When we perceive someone hurts us we move away from them or try to "eliminate" them.

When we perceive we are insulted or hurt by someone we hold a grudge against them and want to give payback.

Not to many of us are any different than the people we criticize. We just criticize things when it is done to us and justify things when we do it to them.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
"Can this bumbling basketball league overcome its extreme lack of football vision and save itself from BCS vaporization?"

Hard to argue the 2nd part of this sentence but calling the BE a bumbling BB league (with or without Cuse & Pitt) shows that he should be reassigned to report daily happenings at the Mouse House.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Do you realize that just took BC's position? Swap in BC, ACC and UConn into that statement. USF is wrong in this.case. A good rivalry generates excitement and raises the profile of both programs. Expansion should be about what's best for the league.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"Can this bumbling basketball league overcome its extreme lack of football vision and save itself from BCS vaporization?"

Hard to argue the 2nd part of this sentence but calling the BE a bumbling BB league (with or without Cuse & Pitt) shows that he should be reassigned to report daily happenings at the Mouse House.

He is not criticizing the quality of the basketball the Big East plays. He is saying that as a conference that is trying to make it in football, we are nothing more than a basketball conference.

Reaction Score
So you agree and support DeFillipo and BC's stance regarding blocking UConn in the ACC? It's really the exact smae thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So you agree and support DeFillipo and BC's stance regarding blocking UConn in the ACC? It's really the exact smae thing.
No so sure. They are in state competitors. BC is staking out a chunk of the country. By GDF's way of thinking conference members should not have any proximity. He should have BCU move to back to the BE as we are the confernce that most closely fits that model.

Reaction Score
No so sure. They are in state competitors. BC is staking out a chunk of the country. By GDF's way of thinking conference members should not have any proximity. He should have BCU move to back to the BE as we are the confernce that most closely fits that model.
The distance from Tampa to Orlando is almost exactly (literally within a mile or two) the same as the distance from Storrs to Boston. Different state/ same sate, doesn't matter. USF is doing the same thing to UCF that BC is doing to UConn. If people are okay w/ that, then so be it, but then they can't bitch about BC blocking us. I'm not saying they need to campaign for UCF, but to lobby to block them when it just makes too much sense to add them is BS (same as it is for BC to lobby to block us).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

They might be in-state competitors but we are a closer drive to BC than USF is to UCF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom