Orlando Magic sign Rodney Purvis | The Boneyard

Orlando Magic sign Rodney Purvis

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For any kid graduating college, all you can do is ask for an opportunity to continue in your field of study.

Is the G League what McD AA's think about when they're in HS? Absolutely not. But, if he performs, he will be seen. Still has a chance between G/NBA and overseas of putting a couple of million in the bank before age 30. Then he can become a working stiff like the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Great news! Too bad he has to play in Lakeland though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pretty damn good for a kid who was maligned by 65% of folks who post here and was thought to be no better than a D3 player by some
Congrats RP
Here's hoping you achieve great heights and great money - work hard and learn
You bleed Husky and you are a great ambassador for the program

Reaction Score
Is it 2-way or just one?
Magic have only used one of their two-way slots on Adrien Payne. Purvis's deal is not the other one but could be converted to a two-way. Think he's a good candidate. Most guys who sign for preseason and then play for the affiliate make $50k guaranteed before D league pay, so not a bad haul at all for Rodney

Reaction Score
Magic have only used one of their two-way slots on Adrien Payne. Purvis's deal is not the other one but could be converted to a two-way. Think he's a good candidate. Most guys who sign for preseason and then play for the affiliate make $50k guaranteed before D league pay, so not a bad haul at all for Rodney
More than I made out of school and I'm an engineer.

Rodney is a little undersized for a 3 and D guy but maybe he starts the trend of a 2 and D? Has the ability to score in bunches and his shooting improved dramatically by his senior season (don't know if the numbers back that up but he sure seemed more consistent).

Reaction Score
NBA minor league is quite an accomplishment for now. He will be able to continue to develop and mature playing in this caliber league surrounded by NBA hopefuls and personnel. Great spot to be in to follow your dream.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Given his size and lack of elite handle/shooting this is probably the best path for him. I hope they counsel him on what they are looking at him to improve so he can move up.

Reaction Score
Rodney has NBA range and he is 6-4. If he can put up a good percentage from the arc, and play solid D, he could take the next

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Rodney has NBA range and he is 6-4. If he can put up a good percentage from the arc, and play solid D, he could take the next
6-4 is kinda no mans land in the NBA unless you can run point. There aren’t very many 6-4 shooting guards. He should watch a lot of tape on Marcus Smart. They’re roughly the same size. He’s probably already a better shooter but Smart is an elite defender, good rebounder and can attack the rim and FINISH. If Rodney shows he can do those things consistently he’ll have a decent career.

Reaction Score
6-4 is kinda no mans land in the NBA unless you can run point. There aren’t very many 6-4 shooting guards. He should watch a lot of tape on Marcus Smart. They’re roughly the same size. He’s probably already a better shooter but Smart is an elite defender, good rebounder and can attack the rim and FINISH. If Rodney shows he can do those things consistently he’ll have a decent career.
That would've been true a decade ago, but there are plenty SGs around 6'4 these days.

I don't think Purvis makes the NBA (hopefully I'm wrong), but his size won't be the reason if that ends up being the case.

C

Chief00

Rodney is a good guy. The effort has always been there. Admittedly, as I have jokingly told him, it’s sometimes difficult for older dudes like me (LOL) to get past this being in bounds thing. I really believe he tried to correct that last season with mixed results. At any rate, very happy Rodney is still on the NBA path. He can get up and down the court.

Reaction Score
Rodney is nowhere near 6'4". I have met him and he is 6"2" at best.
BB is an application of the AZ laws of relativity
Your actual height is irrelevant it’s all about your height in relationship to the majority of players listed at 6’4”
Or your measurement in Mau units where an inch is acually something less than an English inch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom