Origin of the Judge & Boneyard Justice | The Boneyard

Origin of the Judge & Boneyard Justice

Reaction Score
Fair post by @J187Money that he doesn't know the origin of the Judge or why it takes up space here in March. I understand it can be confusing with the inside jokes and long running gags. I figure it's reasonable to try and list out how we got here.

In 1999, with 0 titles, we were the true underdog trying to climb up into rarified air. During the NCAA tourney, someone ran an ESPN bracket pool for the Boneyard. That year, it was sponsored by Pizza Hut and ESPN was dangling all these garbage pizza "prizes" for "winning". Well, in our Boneyard bracket, we found 5 Yarders who picked Duke over UConn in the NCAA final. We decided they were traitors and that Boneyard Justice needed to be administered. For the life of me, I only remember that @Dove and Dogfather were part of the Dukie 5 that chose Duke and we jimmied up some punishments, the board latched on the more we won and it became a real movement. The Mojo as we know it was born.

It was then I took the reigns as the Judge, hearing why they chose Duke and deciding on their fate. Right by my side was Hangman Swami to help ensure the punishments were administered.

From there? Every March, after the completion of the Big East Tourney, we drummed up charges against someone, decided what the Mojo was for that title run and banded together to win the next 6 games. Silly? Foolish? Sure, I guess. But we wear dirty t-shirts and dinosaur underwear and all have superstitions of our own....and this was one big thing we all shared at once. And, well....you judge for yourself if it's worked 5 titles later. I can't explain it. But every year, I try to figure out what that one unifying element is that places an unbeatable force behind our boys.

There have been years that failed. We had an anti-Syracuse year where we posted "Shoo shoo Orange Flu". But we have had Charlie Sheen's "Winning" and Senhor Testiculo that were, for lack of a better term? Inexplicable. The year we won the title with the Charlie Sheen "Winning" theme? There was a NY Post back page with a UConn picture and in the corner, was a picture of Charlie Sheen.

I get that this all seems weird and hard to follow if you're not in the know. But paddle your surfboard up alongside, jump up and ride the wave and when we get it right? It's pretty friggin special. I have been the Judge since 1999. There will always be a few that stamp their feet and whine every year, but that's all part of the show. End of the day, we all know when it's winnin' time and I know how to propel us to a Natty.

Anything from old Yarders that you'd like to add or that I missed? Any questions from the newbies? Your Judge is here for you.

Reaction Score
Fair post by @J187Money that he doesn't know the origin of the Judge or why it takes up space here in March. I understand it can be confusing with the inside jokes and long running gags. I figure it's reasonable to try and list out how we got here.

In 1999, with 0 titles, we were the true underdog trying to climb up into rarified air. During the NCAA tourney, someone ran an ESPN bracket pool for the Boneyard. That year, it was sponsored by Pizza Hut and ESPN was dangling all these garbage pizza "prizes" for "winning". Well, in our Boneyard bracket, we found 5 Yarders who picked Duke over UConn in the NCAA final. We decided they were traitors and that Boneyard Justice needed to be administered. For the life of me, I only remember that @Dove and Dogfather were part of the Dukie 5 that chose Duke and we jimmied up some punishments, the board latched on the more we won and it became a real movement. The Mojo as we know it was born.

It was then I took the reigns as the Judge, hearing why they chose Duke and deciding on their fate. Right by my side was Hangman Swami to help ensure the punishments were administered.

From there? Every March, after the completion of the Big East Tourney, we drummed up charges against someone, decided what the Mojo was for that title run and banded together to win the next 6 games. Silly? Foolish? Sure, I guess. But we wear dirty t-shirts and dinosaur underwear and all have superstitions of our own....and this was one big thing we all shared at once. And, well....you judge for yourself if it's worked 5 titles later. I can't explain it. But every year, I try to figure out what that one unifying element is that places an unbeatable force behind our boys.

There have been years that failed. We had an anti-Syracuse year where we posted "Shoo shoo Orange Flu". But we have had Charlie Sheen's "Winning" and Senhor Testiculo that were, for lack of a better term? Inexplicable. The year we won the title with the Charlie Sheen "Winning" theme? There was a NY Post back page with a UConn picture and in the corner, was a picture of Charlie Sheen.

I get that this all seems weird and hard to follow if you're not in the know. But paddle your surfboard up alongside, jump up and ride the wave and when we get it right? It's pretty friggin special. I have been the Judge since 1999. There will always be a few that stamp their feet and whine every year, but that's all part of the show. End of the day, we all know when it's winnin' time and I know how to propel us to a Natty.

Anything from old Yarders that you'd like to add or that I missed? Any questions from the newbies? Your Judge is here for you.
Ive been on here 20yrs now and that's the probably the most clear and succinct I've ever seen it spelled out...what was 2004? I think I'd just joined the scout board I think it was at the time, and wasn't in the loop quite yet

1999 - dukie 5
2004 - ?
2011 - winning
2014 - senhor
2023 - nerds

Then of course there's all those crazy folks along the way that try and juice some mojo...best they put down the whiskey and wait patiently for tradition to do it's thing (lesson learned).

More suffering for the hangee(?) = more mojo

Reaction Score
Too funny. I remember all those “jurdge” pronouncements and sentences. And hangman Swami. Where is the Swami these days? I hope he’s ok. For those who don’t know, what it essentially meant was that whenever you posted anything, everyone kind of chased you off the board, told you to get out of here, you couldn’t post anything without everyone attacking you. A form of ostracism that was your sentence. It was pretty brutal. Hopefully doesn’t return. But we honor the judge (so that it doesn’t happen to us).

Reaction Score
Too funny. I remember all those “jurdge” pronouncements and sentences. And hangman Swami. Where is the Swami these days? I hope he’s ok. For those who don’t know, what it essentially meant was that whenever you posted anything, everyone kind of chased you off the board, told you to get out of here, you couldn’t post anything without everyone attacking you. A form of ostracism that was your sentence. It was pretty brutal. Hopefully doesn’t return. But we honor the judge (so that it doesn’t happen to us).

Reaction Score

Hangman Swami is alive and well. He follows everything closely and I talk to him daily.

Reaction Score
Was not the original 1999 trial called the BeneDuke Arnold Incident?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Excellent post Deep.

As I didn't find the Boneyard until a few years after the 99 title I didn't know about the Pizza Hut bracket challenge.

I will however state that the turncoats had a possible defense for their actions (choosing Duke), they could have claimed that they wanted to ensure that they wouldn't be stuck winning that garbage pizza.

That aside, it still was an unforgivable offense.

Reaction Score
Also, the boneyard Haiku tradition stems from this. Didn’t lead to a banner but worthy tradition and sentence for @DogMania

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I remember Oklahoma Eric was hung and had to have a suitable avatar for six months or some such.

Reaction Score
I remember Oklahoma Eric was hung and had to have a suitable avatar for six months or some such.

We ran him out of town on a rail. Anyone have the Oklahoma Eric picture???

Reaction Score
Also, the boneyard Haiku tradition stems from this. Didn’t lead to a banner but worthy tradition and sentence for @DogMania

@DogMania used to post these incessantly long rants about using our “bigs” and all this other stuff no one read. So his hanging was to post only in haiku for the tourney.

It was absolute torture for him but he was a great sport with it.

Reaction Score
Dogfather (who is still alive and well and was a varsity UConn athlete) had a lot of nicknames. Dukefather. Beneduke Arnold.

Glad to hear this. Every so often I’ve wondered what happened to him.

Reaction Score

This was very informative. A great read. Can you explain the Arby's thing to me?
I mean, not the BY Arby's running inside joke but just Arby's in general. How is that even a viable food? Thanks in advance

Reaction Score
So I will leave it to Deepster on how this affects Husky Mojo. Did weekly shopping this morning after recycling bottles & cans. Walking down the beer aisle, a guy in front of me bought the last 6 pack of Killian's Irish Red Ale for St. Patrick's day festivities. In the spot next to where the Killian's had been were 6-packs of Red Horse Ale. I thought,maybe tomorrow if events turn out as planned. Finally, I went to Costco in Waterbury &, upon entry, saw a table of Hurley Sport Shorts with $ 5.00 taken off at the register. Didn't blink. Just picked out a pair in light green in my size & added them to my cart.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We ran him out of town on a rail. Anyone have the Oklahoma Eric picture???
3864171894_88b753ab31_z.jpg

Reaction Score
Dogfather (who is still alive and well and was a varsity UConn athlete) had a lot of nicknames. Dukefather. Beneduke Arnold.
He also fat fingerd his name as Doigfather during the hanging. We called him 5hat for a wh8le as I recall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom