Oregon St @ #8 UCLA - 2/21/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon St @ #8 UCLA - 2/21/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
20 for Goodman, 16 for Jones, 13 for TvO.

21 for Onyenwere, 13 for Miller.

Reaction Score
Will seven Pac-12 teams make the tournament. Definitely four. This is going to be a tough selection no matter what conference you are in. Some teams have played 22 games while others played 13. How does it get sorted all out?

You know besides the Pac-12 there is going to be a lot of unhappy teams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think so too. OSU is much improved now that they are playing more games...and von Olhoffen showing up out of highschool to play early is having big dividends too.
and while Oregon has been up and down, they don't look like the same team as they were in the first game

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what Charlie Creme says.
Charlie Creme was non commital on the subject in a half time interview. However used the opportunity to promote Baylor being a threat for a one seed if they win out. This only requires them to beat the same weak league teams. I was so happy that the selection committee ranked them # 10 just by the fact that he had them higher. Based on their record and who they played that was even generious. They have to consider themselves lucky the UConn game was canceled. As i said the last couple of years when I said UConn had not chance to beat Baylor, so this season UConn would have destroyed them.

Reaction Score
UCLA shoots 27% overall, 5 of 22 from three. I guess Friday’s Bruins forgot to show up. Sometimes things just go that way in this game. Glad the Beavs could jump on them. The Pac-12 tournament will be interesting. A lot of dangerous, “any given night”, teams.

Reaction Score
UCLA shoots 27% overall, 5 of 22 from three. I guess Friday’s Bruins forgot to show up. Sometimes things just go that way in this game. Glad the Beavs could jump on them. The Pac-12 tournament will be interesting. A lot of dangerous, “any given night”, teams.
OSU's height on defense and OSU defense on the perimeter, really impacted UCLA on offense. UCLA is a tall team, and, today played a taller team that is now playing solid team defense. I really think defense has been the difference for OSU in the last 5 games.

Reaction Score
UCLA looks for real. They will be a tough out in the Tournament.
UCLA can play solid defense. But can UCLA shoot well enough to survive multiple rounds in the NCAA tourney? Their performance today suggests otherwise. Their two stars have miserable shooting percentages from the field this season. Today, Osborne and Onyenwere were abysmal from the field again and it cost the Bruins the game.

Reaction Score
OSU's height on defense and OSU defense on the perimeter, really impacted UCLA on offense. UCLA is a tall team, and, today played a taller team that is now playing solid team defense. I really think defense has been the difference for OSU in the last 5 games.

Yeah, if Scottie's figured out a defense to go with some form of offense, Oregon State will be a tough out for any team. If the Pac-12 ended today:

1. Stanford vs (Winner of 8 Washington State vs. 9. Arizona State)
4. Oregon vs. (Winner of 5 Oregon State vs. 12 California)
3. UCLA vs. (Winner of 6. Colorado vs. 11. Washington)
2. Arizona vs. (Winner of 7. USC vs. 10 Utah)

This last week of games is really interesting for tourney seeding and switching out dangerous teams. 1 and 2 hinges on who wins the monumental Stanford vs. Arizona game tomorrow -- but then most teams close out the season with a rivalry match with nothing being added so far that I've seen.

Colorado vs. Utah along with Oregon vs. Oregon State takes on massive implications. If Oregon State loses to Oregon, and Colorado wins, you'll likely see Colorado as the 5 seed. Oregon State holds the tiebreaker against Colorado, so if both win, the seeds will stay the same. Beyond that it gets way more complicated. If USC also somehow beats UCLA, Oregon State could fall all the way to be a 7 seed against Utah in the first round. If USC loses as expected against UCLA, AND Washington State closes out the season with a win against Washington, the Cougars would get a much more favorable match against Arizona as the 7 seed in the tournament.

Lots of chips left to fall, but exciting that there's still some movement available!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So I did just peruse the standings and Covid has benefitted the Buffs. They had games against Oregon, Arizona and 2 vs. UCLA cancelled. That's 4 losses. So their 8-8 record is a bit misleading. They could slip into the 5th spot if Oregon State loses to Oregon and the Buffs beat Utah. That would put OSU in 7th...ouch. I will be rooting for the Beavs!
Here's mred's conference tourny seedings for those who care.

Pac 12 Tournament Seeding Generator (notnothing.net)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How dumb is this announcer? 4 possession lead w/ less than 20 seconds left and she wants Oregon St. to foul? UCLA kept chucking and getting O boards, used up most of the remaining clock. Finally hit a 3 but it took way, way too long.
That was Carolyn Peck. She says things like that often and makes me wonder about her basketball knowledge. She coached Purdue to a NC in I believe, 1999, so I would think she wouldn't say some of the things she says. In my opinion she leaves a lot to be desired as an analyst.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom