Oregon St (7) @ Oregon (4) - 1/24/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oregon St (7) @ Oregon (4) - 1/24/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What I'm seeing is they clearly have the ability to play in this game. They're less efficient than Oregon, however. And they have 2 starters with 0 points, and Pivec underwhelming, and they're still somehow in the game.

They really picked up their energy level in Q4. Spirited come back.

ASU and Stanford were both winnable games and they didn't get it done.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
76-64 final. Maybe Sunday will be more interesting.

Reaction Score
After watching the two great PAC12 rivalry games with home teams winning, i then have been going back and forth between the other ranked PAC12 teams on PAC12 streams having both going to OT against unranked teams. Crazy PAC12.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Well, a win is a win, but for me this one was more than a little frustrating, with Oregon inexplicably (to me) going to sleep after getting up by 20 or so in the fourth quarter, including committing almost all--maybe all--of their 7 turnovers during that span (2 straight by Ionescu). After the Stanford game, I hoped the team was past that, but obviously not. So even though I don't think the outcome was ever in doubt, it was--to me, anyway--not as satisfying as it should have been. The team also tried very hard to make Jones a star during the first half, as they continually left her open when double-teaming. They'll have to be much more consistent to win in Corvallis.

As for OSU, I'm surprised at Rueck's decision to sit Slocum so much. Last year, I thought that the OSU offense often worked better with her on the bench, but not so today at least. She seems to be the only really good ball handler among their guards and Goodman, in particular, struggles with the ball when pressured. And, although she hit a circus 3 (and looked like she almost got a technical for taunting), she's not the assassin she was last season; the same seems to be true of Tudor, whose shot doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe there's something in the Willamette Valley air, since neither team is shooting threes this year like they did last season.

Reaction Score
Maybe there's something in the Willamette Valley air, since neither team is shooting threes this year like they did last season.
I think the double 3 point lines are screwing the women's teams up everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of teams are worse this year than last year.

Reaction Score
Well, a win is a win, but for me this one was more than a little frustrating, with Oregon inexplicably (to me) going to sleep after getting up by 20 or so in the fourth quarter, including committing almost all--maybe all--of their 7 turnovers during that span (2 straight by Ionescu). After the Stanford game, I hoped the team was past that, but obviously not. So even though I don't think the outcome was ever in doubt, it was--to me, anyway--not as satisfying as it should have been. The team also tried very hard to make Jones a star during the first half, as they continually left her open when double-teaming. They'll have to be much more consistent to win in Corvallis.

As for OSU, I'm surprised at Rueck's decision to sit Slocum so much. Last year, I thought that the OSU offense often worked better with her on the bench, but not so today at least. She seems to be the only really good ball handler among their guards and Goodman, in particular, struggles with the ball when pressured. And, although she hit a circus 3 (and looked like she almost got a technical for taunting), she's not the assassin she was last season; the same seems to be true of Tudor, whose shot doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe there's something in the Willamette Valley air, since neither team is shooting threes this year like they did last season.

OSU defense which Rueck prides himself on is rather pedestrian this year.

Reaction Score
After watching the two great PAC12 rivalry games with home teams winning, i then have been going back and forth between the other ranked PAC12 teams on PAC12 streams having both going to OT against unranked teams. Crazy PAC12.

There is zero doubt that the Pac12 is absolutely stacked this year, and is by far the best WCBB conference in the country!

Reaction Score
In an ideal situation, they would like have Taya Corosdale or Andrea Aquino playing PF. Kennedy Brown did a terrific job of rebounding, but she provides no offensive threat against a player like Sabally.
I think OSU is a few offensive pieces short in a time when Tudor is clanking every shot off the rim and Goodman is struggling.

I like what Moore adds to UO. You can sag off of her a little more than you could on Maite, but she does a nice job of disrupting the opponents offense, particularly when Goodman was in.

Reaction Score
ESPN headlines says Oregon "dominates" Oregon State. I'm calling that misleading at best and pure B.S. at worst.
Oregon "beats" Oregon State at home is more accurate. They really only "dominated" in one quarter, the second quarter, NOT THE WHOLE GAME.

Here are other reasons why their headline is inaccurate:
1. OSU played the Ducks closer (score-wise) at home than any other Oregon opponent all season. OSU was Oregon's toughest home game so far this season.
2. OSU outscored the Ducks in the second half, the only Duck opponent to do that against them at home all season. The only other teams to out score Oregon in the second half were Louisville and Arizona State, both away games and both were the Duck's only 2 losses for the season (so far).
3. OSU shot a higher percentage overall than the Ducks.
4. OSU shot better (highest %) than any Oregon opponent this year, home or away, even better than Louisville.
5. OSU tied Oregon in total number of rebounds. Oregon has out-rebounded all of its other opponents, home or away, except for Louisville.

Of course what killed OSU was poor 3 pt shooting, more turnovers than Oregon, and fewer made free throws, a familiar pattern of late. In any event, I would not call the Oregon win a "domination". Oregon hits 3 last second, end of quarter, 3 pointers, all in the same game...how often does that happen? Like never? Take 2 of those away from the Ducks and add a couple wide open 3s by Tudor or Pivec that they should have made, and you have a different ball game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN headlines says Oregon "dominates" Oregon State. I'm calling that misleading at best and pure B.S. at worst.
Oregon "beats" Oregon State at home is more accurate. They really only "dominated" in one quarter, the second quarter, NOT THE WHOLE GAME.

1. OSU played the Ducks closer (score-wise) at home than any other Oregon opponent all season. OSU was Oregon's toughest home game so far this season.
2. OSU outscored the Ducks in the second half, the only Duck opponent to do that against them at home all season. The only other teams to out score Oregon in the second half were Louisville and Arizona State, both away games and both were the Duck's only 2 losses for the season (so far).
4. OSU shot better (highest %) than any Oregon opponent this year, home or away, even better than Louisville.
5. OSU tied Oregon in total number of rebounds. Oregon has out-rebounded all of its other opponents, home or away, except for Louisville.

Of course what killed OSU was poor 3 pt shooting, more turnovers than Oregon, and fewer made free throws, a familiar pattern of late. In any event, I would not call the Oregon win a "domination". Oregon hits 3 last second, end of quarter, 3 pointers, all in the same game...how often does that happen? Like never? Take 2 of those away from the Ducks and add a couple wide open 3s by Tudor or Pivec that they should have made, and you have a different ball game.
And if Boley made all her shots then and Moore had not missed a couple of layups then there is another plus 12 there. And we had not even talked about not playing four complete quarters. No one wants to recognize that the Oregon State defense is not where it had been in years past. Not all five on the floor are buying in on that.

Reaction Score
And if Boley made all her shots then and Moore had not missed a couple of layups then there is another plus 12 there. And we had not even talked about not playing four complete quarters.
And if the Ducks don't get some home cookin' from the refs and Slocum doesn't miss a gimmie layup and 1 or 2 short jumpers....and on and on.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
And if the Ducks don't get some home cookin' from the refs and Slocum doesn't miss a gimmie layup and 1 or 2 short jumpers....and on and on.
I'll admit I didn't watch the whole game, but if anything, the foul differential was in the Beavs' favor - Sabrina was called for her second 1 minute into the second quarter, followed by Hebard's second a few minutes later. It's pretty unusual for either of them to be in foul trouble early. And Missy was calling some ticky-tacky stuff on both sides, including one comical one against Jones. But nothing about that looked like home cooking to me, since Oregon ended with 14 vs. Oregon State's 13. If anything, I think of Oregon State as the more physical team (especially Pivec, who throws shoulders and elbows like the best of them).

As for dominating? I'd say Oregon dominated until they knew they could coast to Sunday, then let up. Make the Beavs expend energy just to get the score respectable and keep something in the tank for the quick turnaround to Sunday afternoon. Seems like a sensible strategy to me, though they were seeming to play with fire down the stretch.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I like what Moore adds to UO. You can sag off of her a little more than you could on Maite, but she does a nice job of disrupting the opponents offense, particularly when Goodman was in.

I agree, but I also think that Taylor Chavez, who typically replaces Moore or Boley has become a key component for the team. Although she is not as disruptive as Moore, she is very good defensively (I still remember her, as a freshman, chasing Bibby all over the floor in last year's first game against Mississippi State) and, as of now, the most consistent Duck from distance. To me, the team often looks best when she is on the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll admit I didn't watch the whole game, but if anything, the foul differential was in the Beavs' favor - Sabrina was called for her second 1 minute into the second quarter, followed by Hebard's second a few minutes later. It's pretty unusual for either of them to be in foul trouble early. And Missy was calling some ticky-tacky stuff on both sides, including one comical one against Jones. But nothing about that looked like home cooking to me, since Oregon ended with 14 vs. Oregon State's 13. If anything, I think of Oregon State as the more physical team (especially Pivec, who throws shoulders and elbows like the best of them).

As for dominating? I'd say Oregon dominated until they knew they could coast to Sunday, then let up. Make the Beavs expend energy just to get the score respectable and keep something in the tank for the quick turnaround to Sunday afternoon. Seems like a sensible strategy to me, though they were seeming to play with fire down the stretch.
I strongly disagree with your perspective on the game.
1. Examples of refereeing that favored the Ducks - Considering Sabrina alone, there were a number of no-calls and bad calls. Traveling - Sabrina got away with at least 2 travels that were not called. Pushing off - Sabrina pushed off to create space at least 3 times in gathering rebounds that were not called; Fake falls - Sabrina fell to the floor exaggerating contact resulting in a foul on Pivec (a "touch," foul that was no foul at all). This is one her specialties. Moving pics - at least 2 missed on the Ducks that I saw. Phantom shooting fouls - there were 2 phantom calls on OSU's Jones that defied reality. Yes, a couple of calls were missed on OSU's Pivec, but in balance, the Ducks came out ahead.
2. The idea that Oregon was simply letting up and doing some "coasting" in advance of Sunday's upcoming game is laughable. The truth is, Oregon State closed to within 7 points in the second half because of improved defense. They changed to using a zone defense at times, increased their intensity, and improved their ball pressure and positioning in the second half. Their adjustments resulted in 7 turnovers by Oregon in the second half after the Ducks had committed ZERO turnovers in the first half. A sensible strategy of Oregon?........my ass!

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="TheFarmFan, post: 3411748, member: 9403"
[/QUOTE]
I don't think that Oregon was coasting down the stretch. The Ducks played 7 players. Graves didn't feel comfortable enough to insert Winterburn and Giomi at any point in the game. Sabally played 39 minutes. Ionescu nearly played all 40 as well. OSU cut it to 7 points with 3:38 remaining.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="TheFarmFan, post: 3411748, member: 9403"
I don't think that Oregon was coasting down the stretch. The Ducks played 7 players. Graves didn't feel comfortable enough to insert Winterburn and Giomi at any point in the game. Sabally played 39 minutes. Ionescu nearly played all 40 as well. OSU cut it to 7 points with 3:38 remaining.
[/QUOTE]
Why would you insert Winterburn and Giomi who were injured? Yaeger has disk problems in her back.

Lets keep the fabrications to a minimum.

........Oregon women’s basketball needed only seven players to beat rival Oregon State Friday night but it wasn’t entirely by design.
The No. 4 Ducks are playing with a short bench and depleted front court due to unspecified injuries to forwards Lydia Giomi and Lucy Cochrane, while guard Morgan Yaeger was suited up for the first time this month but did not play for the seventh straight game.

Reaction Score
1. Examples of refereeing that favored the Ducks - Considering Sabrina alone, there were a number of no-calls and bad calls. Traveling - Sabrina got away with at least 2 travels that were not called. Pushing off - Sabrina pushed off to create space at least 3 times in gathering rebounds that were not called; Fake falls - Sabrina fell to the floor exaggerating contact resulting in a foul on Pivec (a "touch," foul that was no foul at all). This is one her specialties. Moving pics - at least 2 missed on the Ducks that I saw. Phantom shooting fouls - there were 2 phantom calls on OSU's Jones that defied reality. Yes, a couple of calls were missed on OSU's Pivec, but in balance, the Ducks came out ahead.
2. The idea that Oregon was simply letting up and doing some "coasting" in advance of Sunday's upcoming game is laughable. The truth is, Oregon State closed to within 7 points in the second half because of improved defense. They changed to using a zone defense at times, increased their intensity, and improved their ball pressure and positioning in the second half. Their adjustments resulted in 7 turnovers by Oregon in the second half after the Ducks had committed ZERO turnovers in the first half. A sensible strategy of Oregon?........my ass!

Same was said about the Arizona game and Stanford game at the end. If it was not for the Pac-12 refs against them it would be a different story. Pivec playing dirty against Stanford in the fourth is perfectly okay.

Oregon State is in sixth place in the Pac-12. Sixth place Pac-12 won't host in the first rounds.

Reaction Score
You said that the refs favored Stanford in the loss. Even in football it is all ways the refs.:( Oregon State against the Pac-12 refs.

Reaction Score
Ask Luton

Reaction Score
Same was said about the Arizona game and Stanford game at the end. If it was not for the Pac-12 refs against them it would be a different story. Pivec playing dirty against Stanford in the fourth is perfectly okay.

Oregon State is in sixth place in the Pac-12. Sixth place Pac-12 won't host in the first rounds.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said the refs were the main or only difference or even a definitive contributing difference in the outcome of Oregon vs. Oregon state game on Friday night. As I stated in my original comment, OSU lost because of poor 3 point shooting, having more turnovers than Oregon, and making fewer free throws (ie. they shot a lower percentage). I have never commented on the Oregon State vs. Arizona games or the Oregon State vs. Stanford game and I don't know what others have said about them. I have not even read the thread or any thread on the latter. Also, I have never commented on Pivec's play as to whether it is or was "dirty" or "clean" or something similar to these adverbs....actually, never in my entire life!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I watched the whole game as an impartial observer. My expertise on this is that I’m a long-time UConn fan so I know what domination looks like. Trust me - Oregon State got dominated.

I will watch again Sunday to see if they can pull it together and give Oregon a competitive game.

Reaction Score
You said that the refs favored Stanford in the loss. Even in football it is all ways the refs.:( Oregon State against the Pac-12 refs.
You are confusing me with someone else. Again, I have never commented on the Oregon State vs. Stanford game. I have not made such comments about Oregon State football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom