Oregon coach Kelly Graves thinks all freshmen wbb players hit a wall | The Boneyard

Oregon coach Kelly Graves thinks all freshmen wbb players hit a wall

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmm. Clark has scored 30 or more in back to back games. I don't think she's hit a wall. Or maybe she did, then she figured out how to get past the wall. So maybe 2 exceptions.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Although Kelly is often very complimentary of players on teams other than Oregon, he obviously thinks that Paige is very very special. Since it's a long interview, some here might be interested to know that the comment "all freshmen not named Paige Bueckers, [etc.]" comes in a context in which he explains that he has sent Te-hina Paopao a video of Sabrina Ionescu's worst games during January and early February of her freshman year in order to give Te-hina better perspective on her own play, the assumption being, of course, that since Sabrina did "hit" that wall and then came out of it in fine fashion before tournament time, Te-hina will (can) as well. Although I imagine he'd have a lot of good things to say about Clark, whom he did recruit, it does seem as if, for him, Paige makes up a category of one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question this year because with cancelled games they are in Feb about where they would normally be total games wise on Jan 1. Also, the idea always was that a 27-29 game se3ason was 10 games more that most HS seasons, but with all the AAU and HS tournaments mixed into the HS season and not just a summer situation, the freshman are probably used to the longer playing season than from years past.

Reaction Score
It’s been a really crazy, strange season with the pandemic. I’m happy our kids get a couple of days off! Have fun, they deserve it!
I think most kids on all teams are just plain tired, mentally and physically.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Paige won't hit the "freshman wall". However, UConn has not played nearly as many games as it normally would in any other year. Some of the games she missed, specifically Louisville and Baylor, would have given her more experience against better teams and sharpened Paige and the entire team for the NC Tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm curious, and I know it's still early, but did any of you think before the season started, that Frau Beuckers would be this good this early? I watched a bunch of her Hopkins games, clearly an elite player, but she has wildly surpassed my expectations. A true freshman carrying the team. Our only hope of making a deep run in the NCAA tournament, without her we are sweet 16 and out. Pray she stays healthy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I expected her to have her ups and downs like all UConn freshmen. Not sure we’re going to see any downs from Paige in the next 4 seasons.

Reaction Score
Interesting question this year because with cancelled games they are in Feb about where they would normally be total games wise on Jan 1. Also, the idea always was that a 27-29 game se3ason was 10 games more that most HS seasons, but with all the AAU and HS tournaments mixed into the HS season and not just a summer situation, the freshman are probably used to the longer playing season than from years past.
I would argue that it's not games but time that is the factor. Like Geno says repeatedly, the kids have been in Storrs since August. This entire year has droned on, from last March until now. It's this whole Covid world that has taken its toll. All the ingredients. No fans, no in-person classes, pizza parlors, family get-togethers, etc, etc. Comparing games is IMO such a small part of it. (like miniscule)
I don't cotton to any of this HS to College comparison mumbo-jumbo. They're kids. This isn't NBA, in which games more than double from say 40 to 82, not even counting preseason and playoffs. Not only that, but they play 48 minutes in an NBA game. That's 20% of a 40 minutes game, every night.
I remember Bill Walton going off about college kids getting tired in a 40 minute game. He thought it was nonsense.

Reaction Score
I expected her to have her ups and downs like all UConn freshmen. Not sure we’re going to see any downs from Paige in the next 4 seasons.
old dude, for an old dude, you are an inspirational and righteous dude. You get it. Women's basketball is not tall and uber athletic like the men's game yet it is more true and pure to the founding concept of the game. And we are
all more emotionally invested in the game, it is just so *king cool to see girls play at a high level, and they get
better every year.

Reaction Score
old dude, for an old dude, you are an inspirational and righteous dude. You get it. Women's basketball is not tall and uber athletic like the men's game yet it is more true and pure to the founding concept of the game. And we are
all more emotionally invested in the game, it is just so *king cool to see girls play at a high level, and they get
better every year.
I see it as women playing basketball and men playing basketball. Not sure what you mean about a founding concept of the game. Can you describe what James Naismith had in mind? What is missing in the men's game?
No one ever complains about how football has evolved over the years, (our national pastime) but basketball has lots of detractors. Interested in some thoughts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom