Oregon (3) @ Michigan St - 12/09/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oregon (3) @ Michigan St - 12/09/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
They've gone backward from last year. They were a well oiled machine last year, now it looks like something is off. Ball movement is not as good. Only lost 1 starter but this is not the same team. Probably miss some of the players that transferred out as well.

I mentioned this in the preseason a couple times. Oregon's biggest miss this season isn't Bando as Boley has done a decent job behind the arc and does give them some size although she isn't as quick on defense as Bando was.

IMO what Oregon is missing is their BENCH!!!
You cant understate what Mallory McGwire did for the Ducks last season. As a part time starter she made a living in the high post. She could hit the shot with ease and she had a great high low with Hebard. The defense also sunk in when she got the ball in anticipation of the lob to Hebard. This opened up the perimeter for the Oregon guards. Also Anneli Maley had some good games off the bench for the Ducks. She was a 6'2 forward who had some timely rebounds and 3pt shots in her brief Oregon career.

For me (and the PAC12 folks can chime in) is the one thing that is vastly different for Oregon to me.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bando didn't take nearly as many shots as Boley, and she hit 3's at a much higher clip. I agree McGwire was a big (and I think under appreciated) contributor for UO. I liked Maley too, not a big scorer but she had a knack for O boards and getting lose balls or steals.

Reaction Score
They've gone backward from last year. They were a well oiled machine last year, now it looks like something is off. Ball movement is not as good. Only lost 1 starter but this is not the same team. Probably miss some of the players that transferred out as well.

still early in the season so I don't think panic is in order yet for Oregon fans...................they will still most likely take the PAC 12 but after that who knows...........

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why is SC ranked 23 with 5-4 record and Mich State 7-1, now 8-1, unranked. Seems like we need some different experts!
Because whoever does rankings insists on preseason ranking. Ranking after 8 games or so makes more sense, but it doesn’t boost websites.

Reaction Score
Sidney Cooks is from where I live. Kind of cool to see her having some success. She only played 13 Mins today but had 10 Points.

Reaction Score
Why is SC ranked 23 with 5-4 record and Mich State 7-1, now 8-1, unranked. Seems like we need some different experts!

Until today Michigan State had not played anyone. So they didn't deserve to be ranked.

Reaction Score
Until today Michigan State had not played anyone. So they didn't deserve to be ranked.

Well, they did play no. 15 now no. 10 ranked NC State, but lost by 4 points on a neutral court.

Reaction Score
Sidney Cooks is from where I live. Kind of cool to see her having some success. She only played 13 Mins today but had 10 Points.
Cooks was probably overrated by Hoopgurlz (#5), but was underrated by Prospects Nation (#69). Good to see her having a strong showing today. 10 points (4-7 FG and 2-3 3FG), 3 rebounds, and 3 assists in 13 minutes is a nice stat line.

Reaction Score
What a big win for the Spartans. Every time I see their coach I am reminded of Sissy Spacek . :)
Have you ever really seen Suzy Merchant and Sissy Spacek in the same room at the same time?

1544409753764.png

Reaction Score
No panic for the Ducks though. A full PAC-12 season will toughen them up for NCAA Playoffs.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"They made a layup, they shot a wide open 3, or we fouled them. That was basically the whole game," Oregon coach Kelly Graves said. "We just kind of went through the motions defensively. We're not a very good defensive team anyway, and when you play with that kind of effort, that's what's going to happen."

"We hadn't earned the ranking," Graves said. "I think everybody assumes because of what we've done in the past, that it's just naturally going to happen, and we haven't played hungry. We didn't play hungry. They played hungrier tonight."

Reaction Score
I'd say it's between the two Oregon schools and Stanford and I'm giving you know who the odds to win it..
I won't count out ASU, they are getting better every game. While UO didn't play to expectations, ASU is playing better each game. Stanford lost to a quality Gonzaga, and OSU lost to ND. I have my favorite to win PAC-12 :D (wish this smiley face was orange instead of green)

Reaction Score
A lot like ND... As Geno said, just because you have the same players back doesn't mean you have same team back. It's early, but their deficiencies are glaring.

Reaction Score
I won't count out ASU, they are getting better every game. While UO didn't play to expectations, ASU is playing better each game. Stanford lost to a quality Gonzaga, and OSU lost to ND. I have my favorite to win PAC-12 :D (wish this smiley face was orange instead of green)

I've seen ASU a couple of times this year.............they are pretty good at times but all things considered I'd put them behind the other three even at this point in the season.......

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Have you ever really seen Suzy Merchant and Sissy Spacek in the same room at the same time?

View attachment 37294
No . Why? Have you? Is there something big here that I don't know? Have I stumbled into a vast conspiracy? Has Carrie escaped and is she hiding in plain sight in East Lansing? Thanks for the heads up! I will watch my back. Ixnay on the alkingtay. Don't use this space again. They may be watching! ;);)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Agreed with a lot of the analysis here. McGwire's high post presence got Hebard more looks inside, and Bando was more pass-oriented than Boley is - I'd say Boley attempts a shot about 50-75% of the time she gets the ball in her hands... she took 18 shots and had 2 assists. It feels weird saying this because she was a big part of what kept Oregon in the game with her 6/12 from outside, but the team just doesn't seem to gel as well with her on the floor. And Bando was much better on defense - Boley doesn't seem to add much there. So far, I don't understand how she was the no. 5 recruit her year. She's very solid, but it's crazy to think Jackie Young was no. 11 by comparison.

I've seen ASU a couple of times this year...they are pretty good at times but all things considered I'd put them behind the other three even at this point in the season..

Agreed that these teams + Cal will be top of the PAC. The key thing is scheduling: Stanford and Cal get the Oregon schools at home without the return away trip, so that's a big leg up for the Bay Area teams vis-a-vis the Oregon schools and ASU in terms of head-to-head records. I suspect the weekend the Oregon schools visit the Bay Area schools will decide the conference regular season title.

BTW- former Huskie Courtney Ekmark is really having a great end to her college career at ASU, leading her team in three-point scoring and second on the team while juggling being a second-year law student at ASU! Very impressive.

Reaction Score
I’ll take Oregon State, they legit look like the best team in the PAC, then Stanford and Oregon third. ASU is okay and I don’t think Cal is a real threat to anyone. Cal went from unranked to 13th; that tells you how huge of a difference it is between the top 10 teams and the rest of wbb. Not a lot of good teams this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom