Optimistic? or Cautiously Optomistic? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Optimistic? or Cautiously Optomistic?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm more optimistic than most. IMHO UCONN is either #3 or 4 WITHOUT Westbrook. With her, they are every bit as good as Baylor or Oregon. UCONN brings back 3 starters, and ONO. Baylor lost 2 starters, one who was Named the MOP at the final 4 and it WASN'T Kalani Brown - it was their grad transfer PG. When a team loses their starting PG, it's a much bigger deal than when they lose a center or wing.

I wouldn't say UCONN is a lock for the final 4, but there simply are not 4 teams better than us on paper. Our starters were ranked #3,1,1 and 5 in their respective classes, and ONO was #1 at one point before her injury (oh and Westbrook was #2 in her class behind Megan). Add in Adebayo, Griffin, Makurat, and Camara - one of who will start (if no Westbrook) - and that's an incredible lineup with solid players off the bench. I think the 5th starter is Makurat or Griffin, with the other being first off the bench. I'm not sold on Adebayo being able to pick up the speed and quickness required to play at the UCONN level at this point, and Camara has too many questions with health.

Foul trouble will be a huge concern especially for ONO. Her tomahawk chop on blocks needs to change or she will ride the pine more than anyone wants. Meg, Crystal, and Christyn are all legit AA candidates. Not all 1st team, but on a 10 or 15 player AA list, all 3 could be on it. Add in Westbrook, and I wouldn't bet against UCONN vs. anyone.

Their PG you're referring to is Chloe Jackson who transferred in from LSU.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Foul trouble will be a huge concern especially for ONO. Her tomahawk chop on blocks needs to change or she will ride the pine more than anyone wants. Meg, Crystal, and Christyn are all legit AA candidates. Not all 1st team, but on a 10 or 15 player AA list, all 3 could be on it. Add in Westbrook, and I wouldn't bet against UCONN vs. anyone.

I honestly think that Nelson-Ododa learning to play without fouling is more important than Westbrook being eligible. ONO is unique on this team. Westbrook is really good, but UConn has a couple of other really good guards/wings.

Reaction Score
Waaaay too many unknowns at this point. Westbrook (more on her in a second) may or may not be able to play. people hope Adebayo will be good, but no one actually knows. I personally am looking for a great season from ONO, but again, who knows?

About Westbrook, here is a trivia question for the ages:
When is the last time UConn had a player whose last name also was the last name of a town in Connecticut? My knowledge of UConn stuff is far from encyclopedic, but I cannot recall that there ever was, for example, a Harriet Somers, or Janine Farmington, Mary Willimantic or Evelyn Preston. You get the idea.

Okay folks, what say you? Is this a first? I mean, it's a very minor league first, but still.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Waaaay too many unknowns at this point. Westbrook (more on her in a second) may or may not be able to play. people hope Adebayo will be good, but no one actually knows. I personally am looking for a great season from ONO, but again, who knows?

When is the last time UConn had a player whose last name also was the last name of a town in Connecticut? My knowledge of UConn stuff is far from encyclopedic, but I cannot recall that there ever was, for example, a Harriet Somers, or Janine Farmington, Mary Willimantic or Evelyn Preston. You get the idea.

Okay folks, what say you? Is this a first? I mean, it's a very minor league first, but still.....
Charde Houston? ;)

Reaction Score
Bent of the River | Audubon Connecticut
Bent of the River
The Connecticut Butterfly Association considers the Bent of the River one of the most significant areas for butterflies in Connecticut, and several Odonata species (dragonflies and damselflies) frequent the property, including some uncommon Gomphidae (Clubtails). Audubon is only the third owner of this historic estate since it was purchased ...

Molly wins!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think we know what Coach Auriemma expects from Adebayo yet.

I believe he started by saying she had transformed her body which I took like what Dolson did between her 3rd & 4th year. He then said that she now has the body to play at the top level but that the pace of play is new to her. I expect to see her subbing in for ONO.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I believe he started by saying she had transformed her body which I took like what Dolson did between her 3rd & 4th year. He then said that she now has the body to play at the top level but that the pace of play is new to her. I expect to see her subbing in for ONO.
I think that a more plausible depth chart would have Batouly backing up ONO, while Anna and Evelyn share the 4 position (not sure which one starts and which one backs up). Aubrey would then back up Megan at the 3, and Evina and Molly (or maybe only Molly) would provide depth in the back court. Aubrey could play the 2 in a pinch. Kyla would unfortunately be at the end of the bench.

That is more depth than UConn has had since Stewie's class graduated.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is a rare pleasure to hear from a Foghorn Leghorn afficionado. He has always been near the top of my cartoon pantheon. Thanks for the affirmation! :D

That particular clip was a bit too violent for my taste. I prefer the more cerebral
Foghorn Leghorn scenes when trying to teach little Egghead Jr.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
"Cautiously optomistic": when your optometrist gives you rose-colored glasses?
A careful rereading of your "quoted" comment sheds further light on the subject, my friend. Too clever by half .Bravo! I attribute my initial fogginess to an "optical" illusion. Classy of you to update the original ,too. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That particular clip was a bit too violent for my taste. I prefer the more cerebral
Foghorn Leghorn scenes when trying to teach little Egghead Jr.

I appreciate your finer sensibilities. But Foghorn and Hippocrates and I hold that desperate times call for desperate measures. Note that Mr Leghorn is dealing with a cat, albeit a feckless feline.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
...and her effectiveness at covering posts and 4's is one of the major keys to UConn making the FF.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Nah, don't really see any. Got a couple of Green/Greene's for Greenwich. And a couple of Valley's for CT Valley. But that's about as close as we get.

Reaction Score
Cautious optimism.
They can lose 5 games this year and I would not be surprised if they did.
I am preparing for a complete Boneyard meltdown if this happens.:eek:

Reaction Score
I think that a more plausible depth chart would have Batouly backing up ONO, while Anna and Evelyn share the 4 position (not sure which one starts and which one backs up). Aubrey would then back up Megan at the 3, and Evina and Molly (or maybe only Molly) would provide depth in the back court. Aubrey could play the 2 in a pinch. Kyla would unfortunately be at the end of the bench.

That is more depth than UConn has had since Stewie's class graduated.

If Westbrook is eligible,

1. Dangerfield/Bent
2. Williams/Makurat
3. Westbrook/Griffin
4. Walker/Adebayo
5. ONO/Irwin/Camara

Reaction Score
I honestly think that Nelson-Ododa learning to play without fouling is more important than Westbrook being eligible. ONO is unique on this team. Westbrook is really good, but UConn has a couple of other really good guards/wings.
Absolutely, I could agree more and I do, I'm a firm believer in you can't miss what you don't have and Westbrook fits that image. I'd love to have her but-------

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It is a rare pleasure to hear from a Foghorn Leghorn afficionado. He has always been near the top of my cartoon pantheon. Thanks for the affirmation! :D
I love Foghorn, but I’m definitely a Bugs Bunny guy. Note that Paige was wearing a Bugs tee shirt at First Night.

Reaction Score
The way things have been going around here lately I identify more with Wile E. Coyote...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom