Optimistic? or Cautiously Optomistic? | The Boneyard

Optimistic? or Cautiously Optomistic?

Reaction Score
Anybody have an idea on how we look? Don't need much info.. But do we pass the eye test as being a legit problem for the entire NCAA like the past 10 plus years?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I predict that UConn will win more games than they lose.
Excellent prediction. I back you 100%.
And I might add that based upon the games that I have watched so far this season, that we will look unbeatable in every game that we play in the future.
And, has Westbrook's waiver been approved? Is SNY going to broadcast our games this season and how can I watch them? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Are they as good as past years? No, but if things break right, freshman develop, ONO and Williams have a big sophomore jump, Westbrook is eligible, and they stay healthy, they will be as good as anybody in March!

Reaction Score
Are they as good as past years? No, but if things break right, freshman develop, ONO and Williams have a big sophomore jump, Westbrook is eligible, and they stay healthy, they will be as good as anybody in March!
She is eligible? When did that come out?

Reaction Score
No determination on the eligibility of Westbrook yet that I've heard. Seeing as how everyone was in panic mode after the end of the season last year with predictions of the elite eight as the ceiling for this coming season, times sure have changed. I don't see an undefeated season, but I think there is a real shot at a 13th consecutive final four appearance.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Even if Westbrook is eligible and Liv, Williams and Meg ball out, Makurat, Adebeyo and Griffin are going to have to play well in significant minutes in order to spell Liv, Meg, and Williams. As I've said, if Adebeyo can come in rebound, and put defensive pressure on some teams 2nd big, Oregon, Baylor, the spit is on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Excellent prediction. I back you 100%.
And I might add that based upon the games that I have watched so far this season, that we will look unbeatable in every game that we play in the future.
And, has Westbrook's waiver been approved? Is SNY going to broadcast our games this season and how can I watch them? :rolleyes:
You forgot to ask about "bigs"? :cool:

Reaction Score
Anybody have an idea on how we look? Don't need much info.. But do we pass the eye test as being a legit problem for the entire NCAA like the past 10 plus years?
Yea, Geno. I have and stand by my statement: Uconn will lose up to 4 games then at season's end will be in the FF possibly the NC, Maybe an NC. We need ONO, CW, Walker, Danger, Ania, Girffin, Evelyn/Touly to produce and defend as they never have before. The season rests on 4 players from last year if they live up to expectations the NC is possible. ONO is an amazing quik study/learner. Walker entered Uconn with talent then learned the UC system---expect her to show her stuff this year. CW will be the GO-TO player with ANIA the same off the bench.
If Westbrook i available frosting on the Geno cake.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm more optimistic than most. IMHO UCONN is either #3 or 4 WITHOUT Westbrook. With her, they are every bit as good as Baylor or Oregon. UCONN brings back 3 starters, and ONO. Baylor lost 2 starters, one who was Named the MOP at the final 4 and it WASN'T Kalani Brown - it was their grad transfer PG. When a team loses their starting PG, it's a much bigger deal than when they lose a center or wing.

I wouldn't say UCONN is a lock for the final 4, but there simply are not 4 teams better than us on paper. Our starters were ranked #3,1,1 and 5 in their respective classes, and ONO was #1 at one point before her injury (oh and Westbrook was #2 in her class behind Megan). Add in Adebayo, Griffin, Makurat, and Camara - one of who will start (if no Westbrook) - and that's an incredible lineup with solid players off the bench. I think the 5th starter is Makurat or Griffin, with the other being first off the bench. I'm not sold on Adebayo being able to pick up the speed and quickness required to play at the UCONN level at this point, and Camara has too many questions with health.

Foul trouble will be a huge concern especially for ONO. Her tomahawk chop on blocks needs to change or she will ride the pine more than anyone wants. Meg, Crystal, and Christyn are all legit AA candidates. Not all 1st team, but on a 10 or 15 player AA list, all 3 could be on it. Add in Westbrook, and I wouldn't bet against UCONN vs. anyone.

Reaction Score
Exuberant? or irrationally exuberant?
Pessimistic? or depressively pessimistic? (added on edit: This is better suited for our football. I am cautiously optimistic that this will apply to the Ladyvols basketball.)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Even if Westbrook is eligible and Liv, Williams and Meg ball out, Makurat, Adebeyo and Griffin are going to have to play well in significant minutes in order to spell Liv, Meg, and Williams. As I've said, if Adebeyo can come in rebound, and put defensive pressure on some teams 2nd big, Oregon, Baylor, the spit is on.

Let's say I'm respectfully optimistic. UConn lost a lot of fire power and senior leadership with Lou and Pheesa, but so did other programs. The year before, they lost Kia and Gabby, but they survived, and played the next season very well. The human species for the most part is afraid of the dark. Why? because they can't see what's out there. Humans like to be in control.

We're very uncomfortable if we're not in control of our surroundings.

Going into a new season is the same way, especially if you lose several players from the year before. Lots of unknowns and variables. If you return all 5 of your starters, no problem. You know what you've got. We lost two. Think about what Notre Dame is going through. They lost their entire starting line up from last year and are starting from square one.

They have some very talented players, but Muffet has no idea how competitive her team is going to be. She could go 27-3 or 3-27. Take our concern right now and multiply it by 10, that's what she's looking at.

I reiterate what tonyc said about liking our chances with what/who we have. We can't be concerned about who we don't have, or who other programs have. We have to focus on OUR girls and OUR program.

Have a little faith in Geno and his coaches. He knows what he's got and what he's doing. This is not his first rodeo. Sure we didn't get some of the recruits we wanted, but we did get some, some very good ones. Players that want to be here. The ones that didn't come here (Aliyah Boston - Haley Jones, et.al) were never suppose to come here, so don't worry about them. They’re not going to help us.

I believe we'll be better than OK. I can’t see UConn losing more than 1-2 games. Teams are going to play us hard, and we're going to play them hard. No team begins the season and honestly expects to go undefeated. The last D-1 WCBB team to finish undefeated was the UConn 2015-2016 team.

There are some good teams on our schedule this year that have also improved. No team including AAC teams should be taken for granted regardless of any past success we may have had with them. UConn will be the biggest game on all of their opponent's schedule.

They're more afraid of UConn than the Huskies will be of them, but they must all be respected. No team can simulate in practice what the top 10 elite teams will bring to the court on game day. You prepare as best you can then wait until the tip to see how your team competes that day.

THIS TEAM has never beaten So. Carolina, Baylor, ND, or anyone else. So you do whatever you need to do (make in-game adjustments) to win THAT game, then prepare for the next one.
The most important game on their our schedule is THE NEXT ONE. Don't look ahead. Once the season begins, it goes by fast. We'll be at the Christmas break (10 games into the schedule) before you know it.

The days of UConn dominating everyone are over. That was proven last year. Right now, we can assume that Baylor, Oregon and maybe South Carolina will be their biggest challenges at this time. That may change as the season progresses. A couple of years ago, we didn't see that near upset at Tulane coming. Crap happens. You can't assume anything.

The "launch" date is only 11 days away. Can't wait.
:cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

JordyG, I'd be shocked if Adebayo doesn't live up to Geno's expectations. He's not asking her to carry the team, just contribute, and do what he asks of her. I don't think we have to be concerned about her. Honestly, I don't think we need be concerned about ONO, Adebayo or Makurat. All three will live up to their preseason billing. ;)

If she earns enough minutes, I also expect Aubrey Griffin to earn some serious consideration for conference and perhaps Division 1 All Freshman Teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JordyG, I'd be shocked if Adebayo doesn't live up to Geno's expectations. I don't think we have to be concerned about her. Honestly, I don't think we need be concerned about ONO, Adebayo or Makurat. All three will live up to their preseason billing. ;)

I don't think we know what Coach Auriemma expects from Adebayo yet.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't think we know what Coach Auriemma expects from Adebayo yet.

Right now, no. He'll have a better feel for her and the other newbies after 2-3 regular season games against D1 level competition. It would not surprise me if Adebayo played the entire season with a little "chip" on her shoulder. A chip that indicated she felt she had something to prove to EVERYONE, that she can play at this level, and belongs here. The best indicator of future performance is past performance. I'd be shocked if Evelyn didn't meet ALL of Geno's expectations this year. ;)

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn lost a lot of fire power and senior leadership with Lou and Pheesa, but so did other programs. The year before, they lost Kia and Gabby, but they survived. The human species for the most part is afraid of the dark. Why? because they can't see what's out there. Humans like to be in control. We're very uncomfortable if we're not in control of our surroundings. If you enter a pitch black room that you have never been in, and told there may be something in there that you may not like, you either won't go in there, or be extremely apprehensive and cautious if you do.

Going into a new season is the same way, especially if you lose several players from the year before. If you return all 5 of your starters, no problem. You know what you've got. We lost two. Think about what Notre Dame is going through. They lost their entire starting line up from last year and are starting from square one. They have some very talented players, but Muffet has no idea how competitive her team is going to be. She could go 27-3 or 3-27. Take our concern right now and multiply it by 10, that's what she's looking at.

I reiterate what tonyc said about liking our chances with what/who we have. We can't be concerned about who we don't have, or who other programs have. We have to focus on OUR girls and OUR program.

Have a little faith in Geno and his coaches. He knows what he's got and what he's doing. Sure we didn't get some of the recruits we wanted, but we did get some, and some very good ones. Players that want to be here. The ones that didn't come here (Aliyah Boston - Haley Jones) where never suppose to come here, so don't worry about them. I believe we'll be better than OK. I can see UConn losing 1-2 games in the regular season, no more than that. There are some good teams on our schedule that have also improved. No team (including AAC teams) on our schedule can/should be taken for granted, regardless of past success against them. UConn will be the biggest game on all of their opponent's schedule. They're more afraid of UConn than the Huskies will be of them, but they must respect all of them.

The most important game on their our schedule is THE NEXT ONE. Don't look ahead. prepare for every team one at a time, because that's how they're going to come at us. Once the season begins, it goes by fast. We'll be at the Christmas break (10 games into the schedule) before you know it.

The days of UConn dominating everyone are over. That was proven last year. Right now, we can assume that Baylor, Oregon and maybe South Carolina will be their biggest challenges at this time. That may change as the season progresses. A couple of years ago, we didn't see that near upset at Tulane coming. Crap happens. You can't assume anything.

The "launch" date is only 11 days away. Can't wait. :cool:
Can't wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom