Opportunity | The Boneyard

Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11285/1181365-142.stm

Reading the attached link got me thinking. The Little Napoleon up in Chestnut Hill has opened a window of opportunity for us. This is the perfect storm for us. BC is completely embarrassed right now by their AD and the ACC is pissed and embarrassed as well. Herbst and Malloy need to grab this moment and pressure Emmert, Swofford, ESPN, Swarbrick, Delaney, Jacobs, Thamel, Boeheim, Nordenberg, Blumenthal, Dickie V, Coach K, Ole Roy, Edsall, Bilas, MD AD and anyone else in even a minor position of influence to potentially recommend and / or pressure to the point we are added to ACC. If these people are truly university officials concerned with the student-athletes there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that UConn should not be in the ACC with like-minded universities competing for championships across the board in all sports AND competing in the same region to make things easy and accessible for students.

We absolutely do not belong in a conference made up of Houston, Boise, UCF, USF, Louisville, (although I like and respect them), Memphis, ECU, etc. We will add eyeballs and hold our own with any other school in the ACC in terms of brand, viewership, and money making ability. We have the academics and athletics. We will be a great addition to the northern region of one of the top 5 conferences in the country. Are we a cornerstone? No. Do we have value? Absolutely. Now is the time to broker a deal before this story goes away.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My gut feeling is that there is a deal. It's the form and timing that is in question because the ACC is smart enough to know that it can't prevent a team from leaving to go to the SEC. And like a good organization it plans for that contingency.

1. Add ND if it wants in, take Uconn as #16.
2. If one team leaves for SEC, invite ND or Uconn if ND declines.
3. If ND won't join, and in a couple years they decide 16 teams is the number, invite Uconn and Rutgers
4. If 3 teams leave for the SEC, decide on the size of the league and add schools likely in this order: ND,Uconn,RU,Wvu,Louisville,Usf.

What makes me smh is comparing that to the BE plan, whatever that might be. Probably along the lines of, "Hey guys, wanna join our club? Our clubhouse has a really cool disco ball and we've got onion dip."

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
My gut feeling is that there is a deal. It's the form and timing that is in question because the ACC is smart enough to know that it can't prevent a team from leaving to go to the SEC. And like a good organization it plans for that contingency.

3. If ND won't join, and in a couple years they decide 16 teams is the number, invite Uconn and Rutgers
4. If 3 teams leave for the SEC, decide on the size of the league and add schools likely in this order: ND,Uconn,RU,Wvu,Louisville,Usf.

What makes me smh is comparing that to the BE plan, whatever that might be. Probably along the lines of, "Hey guys, wanna join our club? Our clubhouse has a really cool disco ball and we've got onion dip."

I tend to agree with you. The problem is, as a fan, I am impatient and do not want to wait 5 years to see this thing through. Who knows what could happen to our sports teams and ACC interest in that time? There might already be an agreement in place but I just think we have an opportunity to move up the timeframe. It really is the perfect storm when you think about it:

Emmert = former UConn admin
Herbst = Dukie
Malloy = Double Eagle
ESPN = in our backyard, just got a sweetheart deal from the state
and we just went to a BCS bowl, won the Men's national championship, and Women went to a final four again.

Plus, GDF is about to get fired anyway. Perfect opportunity for some good PR for Emmert / Swofford / BC and NCAA in general by saying ACC is adding UConn because they are thinking about the student-athletes, yada yada.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think the ACC is smartly waiting to see where Missouri ends up, who replaces them, does the B12 really sign that agreement, does the SEC take FSU instead, does ND do something, anything?

We are all frustrated because its easy to move pieces around when you're not in charge of due diligence and the distortion between internet time and boardroom time. I think we've only played three games since this latest thing let loose.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Decent analysis. What's the timeline? If the timeline is greater than three years what would you recommend UConn's contingencies be during this interval? What should UConn do if the SEC or B12 poaches WV and or Ville well before an ACC invite?

What are the ACC's contingencies if the SEC and the B!G take teams away and they are left with 8 teams? What should UConn's plan be in this case? And what are the ACC's contingencies if the B12 decides it should survive and not the BE or the ACC?

Reaction Score
Decent analysis. What's the timeline? If the timeline is greater than three years what would you recommend UConn's contingencies be during this interval? What should UConn do if the SEC or B12 poaches WV and or Ville well before an ACC invite?

What are the ACC's contingencies if the SEC and the B!G take teams away and they are left with 8 teams? What should UConn's plan be in this case? And what are the ACC's contingencies if the B12 decides it should survive and not the BE or the ACC?

The plan going into motion right now is the correct approach. Rebuild the Big East and win games. Despite what many think, especially WVU and Louisville fans, this reconstituted Big East can be a decent conference. We need to win games, embrace night games on weekdays to showcase the conference and hire top notch coaches (even if you go in debt to pay them). If the conference can make waves, which I think Houston, WVU, SMU, Louisville, USF, UCF, UCONN and Rutgers all can many years, this can work out ok.

The number 1 factor in conference perception is marketing. We need to properly market our programs, we need to win big OOC games, we need to shoot our mouths off and ruffle some feathers. Lastly, and perhaps more so than anything, the conference needs to sign a deal with a network that will agree to support the conference. That network probably isn't ESPN at this point. Nobody plays a bigger role in making the Big East look bad and ACC look good in the media than ESPN. We need a network that will work to change that bias. We need a network that will say "What great thinking on the part of the Big East to invite SMU, Houston and UCF etc, the BCS bid has helped their recruiting and now the Big East is better than the ACC". When is the last time you heard something like that? Never. Even when the numbers were in our favor, they blasted us. This needs to be a multi-faceted approach.

Reaction Score
The plan going into motion right now is the correct approach. Rebuild the Big East and win games. Despite what many think, especially WVU and Louisville fans, this reconstituted Big East can be a decent conference. We need to win games, embrace night games on weekdays to showcase the conference and hire top notch coaches (even if you go in debt to pay them). If the conference can make waves, which I think Houston, WVU, SMU, Louisville, USF, UCF, UCONN and Rutgers all can many years, this can work out ok.

The number 1 factor in conference perception is marketing. We need to properly market our programs, we need to win big OOC games, we need to shoot our mouths off and ruffle some feathers. Lastly, and perhaps more so than anything, the conference needs to sign a deal with a network that will agree to support the conference. That network probably isn't ESPN at this point. Nobody plays a bigger role in making the Big East look bad and ACC look good in the media than ESPN. We need a network that will work to change that bias. We need a network that will say "What great thinking on the part of the Big East to invite SMU, Houston and UCF etc, the BCS bid has helped their recruiting and now the Big East is better than the ACC". When is the last time you heard something like that? Never. Even when the numbers were in our favor, they blasted us. This needs to be a multi-faceted approach.

Agree that perception is the problem. Marketing isn't going to change it though. A conference made up of Houston, WVU, SMU, Louisville, USF, UCF, UCONN and Rutgers will never compete with other conferences with schools like USC, TX, Bama, MI, or even FSU, GT, UNC, and Clemson. Perception is reality. Unless we sell out 75,000 seats regularly and travel to AND win BCS and other MAJOR bowls (which we are only invited to 1 or 2 per year at the most) the Big East will never be perceived as a big boy conference. It's lost 5 of its top teams in the past decade! It's over and we need to do everything we can to get out asap. We aren't even a football school and it would take 25 years of serious success in a much larger stadium before we would even be considered a football school. We need to get into a decent conference where we can add value, compete, and improve our academics. ACC. This our opportunity.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
My plan has been to do what, in hindsight should have been done in 2003. Build the best FB Conference you can that can survive the loss of 2-3 additional teams within the next 3 years.

I pick 3 years because of the 27 month window. Providence's biggest sin turned out to be a lack of urgency in growing the FB side. They thought that improving the quality of the 8 would be enough. When the BCS worthiness was in question they looked to adding 1-2 select nonAQ programs that rose up to the top ten level. TCU was one and if, say UCF got close, they would have been next.

Turns out they were wrong, but if they had committed to growing would Pitt/cuse have stayed. I think its a close call because the pressure to turn down an ACC invite would have been a tough decision for any of the FB schools, not knowing if someone else would have taken it.

Reaction Score
Agree that perception is the problem. Marketing isn't going to change it though. A conference made up of Houston, WVU, SMU, Louisville, USF, UCF, UCONN and Rutgers will never compete with other conferences with schools like USC, TX, Bama, MI, or even FSU, GT, UNC, and Clemson. Perception is reality. Unless we sell out 75,000 seats regularly and travel to AND win BCS and other MAJOR bowls (which we are only invited to 1 or 2 per year at the most) the Big East will never be perceived as a big boy conference. It's lost the top 5 teams in the past decade! It's over and we need to do everything we can to get out asap. We aren't even a football school and it would take 25 years of serious success in a much larger stadium before we would even be considered a football school. We need to get into a decent conference where we can add value, compete, and improve our academics. ACC. This our opportunity.

I get it, but the ACC is so dilluted as it is. I think the Big East can easily play with the ACC if these schools come in and grow. I'm sorry but if the Big East fields 3-4 Top 25 teams each year, which it can easily do with the proposed group, perception can change. Again, I go back to RU versus Louisville in a night game in 2006 for first place in the Big East. Both schools were highly ranked. I was in a crowded sports bar in Florida and everyone was watching the showdown. It didn't take much to draw public interest, just winning games and getting a showcase slot on ESPN that night. It was electric. Nothing is impossible and with all these teams in med/large markets we have a major advantage over some of the big boys to generate substantial interest quickly. Granted, a quick escape is less stressful. Still, I think if we all remain in the Big East, we can pull it off with the right partners and marketing. The conference and its members need to spend big money to fill the stadiums and hire good coaches though.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Lastly, and perhaps more so than anything, the conference needs to sign a deal with a network that will agree to support the conference. That network probably isn't ESPN at this point.

The first part is so true. Yesterday, I saw a story on ESPN.com about how the ACC was "back" as a football conference. That's what they do.

Unfortunately, ESPN is really the best platform for that kind of hype. I mean does NBC really pimp ND anytime other than in game promos. They don't have SC or Gameday or the endless radio hosts pumping the agenda.

Btw, even post apology there is still.nothing on the ESPN blogs nor on the front page on the story. It's been 3 days now and covered by a ton of other outlets.

Reaction Score
Perception and reality example. The obviously unbiased computers have the BE ranked as the 4th best conference, ahead of the ACC, PAC-10 and Mountain West. The biased AP ranking system based on sportswriters opinions has the BE as the 7th best conference. There is not much that can be done to change perceptions, which makes things really tough on the BE.

ESPN Stats & Info Week 6 Conference Power Rankings

ConferenceAP RankComputers RankFinal RatingFinal RankingRt Change

Big 12 1 1 94.4 1 -0.4
SEC 2 2 92.4 2 -1.6
Big Ten 3 3 79.2 3 4.7
PAC-12 4 6 66.5 4 1.8
ACC 5 5 60.6 5 1.3
MWC 6 7 44.3 6 -2.1
Big East 7 4 42.3 7 2.2
C-USA 8 8 19.9 8 0.7
MAC 10 9 14.0 9 -0.7
Sun Belt 10 10 13.6 10 -0.9
WAC 10 11 12.1 11 -0.7

Reaction Score
Perception and reality example. The obviously unbiased computers have the BE ranked as the 4th best conference, ahead of the ACC, PAC-10 and Mountain West. The biased AP ranking system based on sportswriters opinions has the BE as the 7th best conference. There is not much that can be done to change perceptions, which makes things really tough on the BE.

ESPN Stats & Info Week 6 Conference Power Rankings

ConferenceAP RankComputers RankFinal RatingFinal RankingRt Change

Big 12 1 1 94.4 1 -0.4
SEC 2 2 92.4 2 -1.6
Big Ten 3 3 79.2 3 4.7
PAC-12 4 6 66.5 4 1.8
ACC 5 5 60.6 5 1.3
MWC 6 7 44.3 6 -2.1
Big East 7 4 42.3 7 2.2
C-USA 8 8 19.9 8 0.7
MAC 10 9 14.0 9 -0.7
Sun Belt 10 10 13.6 10 -0.9
WAC 10 11 12.1 11 -0.7

Marketing and PR. ACC has it, we don't. Must get.

Reaction Score
Remember George C. Scott's opening monologue in the movie Patton? Some comentary was like "Americans like winners. Nobody likes loosers".

Unfortunately, the last few years, the BE does not show up too good against the better BCS teams. And especially when you can't beat teams in the bottom of other conferences.

ESPN isn't destroying the BE image. The BE is doing that all by itself.

We can have the best marketing team from top fortune 500 companies. But even at that, success would be limited if a product doesn't appeal to the public. It has to be able to "sell itself'". Barely squeaking by 1-aa opponents does not sell (except to the ACC).

That's why, for example, some car models come and go, others stick around for what seems forever. BE football is not a Mercedes.......its more like an Ford Edsel.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Marketing and PR. ACC has it, we don't. Must get.

It's not just that. Every school in the ACC, with the possible exception of VT, is a national level university. They attract kids from across the country. They are well known schools even apart from athletics. The Big Ten rules at this, and is consistently ranked above reality more than any other as a result. The ACC is next best.

The Big East has three left, WVU, UConn and Rutgers. Louisville and Cincy are regional schools, and SFU is even more so. This is why I think adding CFU or ECU makes the problem worse. Regardless of how good the football team actually is, those schools are viewed as "podunk U". Not really any differently than Western Michigan. I think this is why Boise has the blue field. They become more well known because of it.

Reaction Score
It's not just that. Every school in the ACC, with the possible exception of VT, is a national level university. They attract kids from across the country. They are well known schools even apart from athletics. The Big Ten rules at this, and is consistently ranked above reality more than any other as a result. The ACC is next best.

The Big East has three left, WVU, UConn and Rutgers. Louisville and Cincy are regional schools, and SFU is even more so. This is why I think adding CFU or ECU makes the problem worse. Regardless of how good the football team actually is, those schools are viewed as "podunk U". Not really any differently than Western Michigan. I think this is why Boise has the blue field. They become more well known because of it.

"I think this is why Boise has the blue field."

Exactly, marketing. Win games and market. Boise gets it.

Reaction Score
"I think this is why Boise has the blue field."

Exactly, marketing. Win games and market. Boise gets it.

Boise and TCU are top 10 teams. For all their marketing and wins it still hasn't helped the conference get to BCS AQ status or any respect. In TCU's case, it did help them to get out of the Mountain West though. Maybe in Boise's too. I just want us to get out of the Big East and see an opportunity to force the issue.

Reaction Score
Boise and TCU are top 10 teams. For all their marketing and wins it still hasn't helped the conference get to BCS AQ status or any respect. In TCU's case, it did help them to get out of the Mountain West though. Maybe in Boise's too. I just want us to get out of the Big East and see an opportunity to force the issue.

Trust me, I get where you are coming from. I think you will be amazed what 3-4 Top 25 teams in this conference will do for perception. You can't say a conference with several ranked teams sucks, you just can't. I believe that there is the right combo of teams in this proposed conference to do it. I think Boise, Houston, SMU and WVU can be there almost every year. I would hope that Louisville, USF and UCF can too. Rutgers won't do it consistently with Schiano. UConn needs a proven coach as well, we'll see what Coach P can do. Rutgers and UConn certainly have the facilities.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm going to agree with 1husky on this one. The idiot in Chestnut Hill just made himself, BC and more importantly the ACC look like petty fools. This is not going to sit well with the powers that be in the ACC.

Based on a couple of potential moves, Missouri being the first, we could get that invite sooner than we think.

And I don't think Pitt and Syracuse are hanging around as lame ducks for 27 months. And if we get an invite, I don't expect us to hang around either.

Besides, there is no news on upping the exit fees. That's got to tell you something. Not a BE priority right now. And that could be because UWV, Louisville, Cinncy, Rutgers, USF and Uconn won't vote for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom