Opportunity knocks for Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa | The Boneyard

Opportunity knocks for Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Seems like a timely article from Jim Fuller:

“We are going to be like the underdogs, so we’ll have to prove things,” Williams said at Jordan Brand Classic media day festivities on Saturday.

Being underdogs is an interesting concept for UConn. Since the start of the 2007-08 season the Huskies have played 420 games and in only 10 of them was UConn ranked lower in the Associated Press poll than their opponent.

Underdog might be a bit strong of a term, but there will be plenty of questions surrounding the Huskies. Many of them will center around Williams and fellow incoming freshman Olivia Nelson-Ododa.

The last time two UConn freshmen averaged at least 20 minutes per game came during the 2010-11 season when Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson were on the court for 31.8 and 24.2 minutes. It would be a surprise to nobody to see the two five-star national recruits be part of the main rotation beginning with the Huskies’ season opener. While Collier, Dangerfield and Samuelson could be as talented as any three teammates in the country next season, the reality is that the development of Nelson-Ododa, Williams and last year’s top freshman Megan Walker could go a long way in determining the type of season awaiting the Huskies.

Opportunity knocks for UConn freshmen Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Christyn Williams

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There’s plenty of opportunity for everyone to carve out her role on the team. Not every player needs to be a superstar. The UConn women’s team has a long history of valuable role players. I’d love to see the women on the bench find, and embrace, their roles.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm really excited to see this coming year's team. I remember a video when Geno said one of the things he misses from the early years is beating teams they weren't supposed to beat. I'm thinking he may get to enjoy this year. #walksoftly

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Despite the obvious disadvantages all freshman face, there is one advantage they have from our perspective - they haven`t screwed up yet. Missed layups zero, turnovers zero. On the other hand, we have highlight reels of effortless threes, incredible ball handling and slam dunks.

I am hopeful that CW will provide a threat from three point range that other teams will have to respect, kind of like Kia but unrealistic to think she will shoot as high a percentage. ONO should contribute as well but will need to take up residence in the weight room. They will both be needed in March and will need to develop over the course of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom