Opinion: College football in general has become increasingly unwatchable | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Opinion: College football in general has become increasingly unwatchable

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You spend an awful lot of time crying about basketball fans not investing enough in the football program, and then when I start a thread over there about football, you cry about that too.

In all fairness, it was pretty easy to anticipate the direction that thread would go in. Despite my disagreements with Serrano, I think he is right on the money with the assertion that a considerable number of MBB posters resent the existence of the football program and relish in its misfortune.

Reaction Score
Never seen you so feisty champs. I'm not sure I really understand the insinuation that you aren't a "real" football fan if you enjoy high powered offenses. At the end of the day, people want to win, but I imagine the majority of football fans enjoy scoring especially when the objective of the game is to score. The same goes for basketball. The late 80s may be the glory days but in my book, the recent rule changes and analytics based offenses have led to the most aesthetically pleasing version of basketball I have ever seen. You may enjoy a defender hedging out more than a barrage of 3 pointers, but again, I don't think you speak for most people. The purpose of this entire spectacle is entertainment, not dissection with a microscope.

And FWIW, and you most likely disagree, the reason college football is special is because of the culture.

Reaction Score
Never seen you so feisty champs. I'm not sure I really understand the insinuation that you aren't a "real" football fan if you enjoy high powered offenses. At the end of the day, people want to win, but I imagine the majority of football fans enjoy scoring especially when the objective of the game is to score. The same goes for basketball. The late 80s may be the glory days but in my book, the recent rule changes and analytics based offenses have led to the most aesthetically pleasing version of basketball I have ever seen. You may enjoy a defender hedging out more than a barrage of 3 pointers, but again, I don't think you speak for most people. The purpose of this entire spectacle is entertainment, not dissection with a microscope.

And FWIW, and you most likely disagree, the reason college football is special is because of the culture.

Ha...I think this is just one of those conversations that translates differently online than it does in person. I know how my argument comes off as penurious and self-aggrandizing to other people because I am often on the other side of them. Many of my opinions on the subject are fueled by a nostalgia that is mostly random and perhaps more indicative of how much I hate change than whether the sport is actually better. Incidentally, I love the modern NBA and would prefer to see more scoring in the college game, so in many respects arguing these things is as futile as arguing our favorite condiments. I'm aware that there is often no rhyme or reason for liking the things I do.

I actually agree entirely that culture is what makes college football special. Football is the only American sport that needs to be separated into sport vs. phenomenon. The phenomenon is as strong as ever, but in my opinion watching the sport - and I do mean that that is all you are doing, with no other social complements to occupy you - is not as entertaining as it once was.

The only thing I'll defend myself on is the last two sentences of your first paragraph. I think that's an (understandable) misrepresentation of my position because you are assuming that all my dorky basketball fetishes apply to football. They don't. I like big hits, I like dominant defenses, and I like crazy people who are willing to die on the field. I don't even mind, necessarily, if that sometimes goes too far - I'm OK with football teams consisting of people who might not be the best guys off the field. I'm OK with trying to knock players out of the game so long as it's legal. I'm even OK with giving the ball to a running back 25 times in a game even if by any reasonable standard that is dangerous and unethical. Aggression, violence, and instability is what draws me to the game. I relish the barbaric component. Part of me died years ago when they stopped the 'Jacked up' segment on ESPN because it promoted violence or something. All of me is dying as I am watching dudes get thrown out of games for hits that were at one time considered tepid. All of this might be necessary to prevent head injuries, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend that the game hasn't suffered for it.

Growing up, guys like Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins were heroes to me. I enjoyed watching Brady and Manning, but defense was where the cool factor was at, you know? The hell with Brady-Manning. Those Ravens-Steelers brawls in freezing weather with eight guys on the line of scrimmage and players on both teams completely teeing off on each other all game and the national guard ready to be called at any time if things got any uglier...man, give me that every time. Seahawks-Niners? Give me that every time. I ain't here for bubble screens and pick routes and seven on seven drills.

Football can't be half-assed. It either has to be violent and dangerous and anarchic and brutal or it's something else. And it's mostly still all of those things...for now. I would last less than one play playing college football. But it isn't what it was and the arrow isn't pointing in the right direction.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, it was pretty easy to anticipate the direction that thread would go in. Despite my disagreements with Serrano, I think he is right on the money with the assertion that a considerable number of MBB posters resent the existence of the football program and relish in its misfortune.

I like Serrano, but I thought his bit of cherry-picking was cheapish and lame especially given he really only ever plays one note on the basketball board.

I can understand resenting the football program even though it's probably misplaced. They didn't make it this way and while I'm pretty sure all of us hate conference realignment in general, it does nobody any good at this point to row opposite the football program.

Reaction Score
Ha...I think this is just one of those conversations that translates differently online than it does in person. I know how my argument comes off as penurious and self-aggrandizing to other people because I am often on the other side of them. Many of my opinions on the subject are fueled by a nostalgia that is mostly random and perhaps more indicative of how much I hate change than whether the sport is actually better. Incidentally, I love the modern NBA and would prefer to see more scoring in the college game, so in many respects arguing these things is as futile as arguing our favorite condiments. I'm aware that there is often no rhyme or reason for liking the things I do.

I actually agree entirely that culture is what makes college football special. Football is the only American sport that needs to be separated into sport vs. phenomenon. The phenomenon is as strong as ever, but in my opinion watching the sport - and I do mean that that is all you are doing, with no other social complements to occupy you - is not as entertaining as it once was.

The only thing I'll defend myself on is the last two sentences of your first paragraph. I think that's an (understandable) misrepresentation of my position because you are assuming that all my dorky basketball fetishes apply to football. They don't. I like big hits, I like dominant defenses, and I like crazy people who are willing to die on the field. I don't even mind, necessarily, if that sometimes goes too far - I'm OK with football teams consisting of people who might not be the best guys off the field. I'm OK with trying to knock players out of the game so long as it's legal. I'm even OK with giving the ball to a running back 25 times in a game even if by any reasonable standard that is dangerous and unethical. Aggression, violence, and instability is what draws me to the game. I relish the barbaric component. Part of me died years ago when they stopped the 'Jacked up' segment on ESPN because it promoted violence or something. All of me is dying as I am watching dudes get thrown out of games for hits that were at one time considered tepid. All of this might be necessary to prevent head injuries, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend that the game hasn't suffered for it.

Growing up, guys like Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins were heroes to me. I enjoyed watching Brady and Manning, but defense was where the cool factor was at, you know? The hell with Brady-Manning. Those Ravens-Steelers brawls in freezing weather with eight guys on the line of scrimmage and players on both teams completely teeing off on each other all game and the national guard ready to be called at any time if things got any uglier...man, give me that every time. Seahawks-Niners? Give me that every time. I ain't here for bubble screens and pick routes and seven on seven drills.

Football can't be half-assed. It either has to be violent and dangerous and anarchic and brutal or it's something else. And it's mostly still all of those things...for now. I would last less than one play playing college football. But it isn't what it was and the arrow isn't pointing in the right direction.
Not sure guys like Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, Kevin Greene and John Lynch could play in today's game. They were amazing football players and so much of what made them great was fear, in today's game that is gone. LT is the best player I've ever seen. Could he play in today's NFL, probably but he wouldn't be nearly as effective. They would legislate his aggressiveness right out of the game.

I agree with everything you're saying and am surprised more people don't see it that way. I know football is in a tough spot and has to worry about safety but the game is almost unrecognizable to the game I grew up with. Give me the LT led Giants defense, the '85 Bears D, and the Ravens D over any of the gimmick stuff we see today. I respect some of the great offenses we've seen but football has always been about the trenches and SADLY smashmouth football seems to be a thing of the past. The game kids are growing up with today hardly even looks like the same sport.

Reaction Score
Give me the LT led Giants defense, the '85 Bears D, and the Ravens D over any of the gimmick stuff we see today. I respect some of the great offenses we've seen but football has always been about the trenches and SADLY smashmouth football seems to be a thing of the past. The game kids are growing up with today hardly even looks like the same sport.
This is why I love football.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it comes down to what style of football you like. If you like the ground and pound game that football used to be then you're right, modern day CFB, is not for you. It's kind of like baseball. Some people like pitching duels, others would prefer a higher scoring game. I actually like the way football has evolved but hats my preference.

I will agree with you on the length comment. I can't stand the length of commercial breaks. They are so constant it's unbearable. NFL is worse but thankfully there's RedZone so no need for me to watch commercials. The good thing about CFB is that on any Saturday, you can usually flip between your choice of 5 different games to watch if the one you are watching is in a commercial break. There won't ever be a change or push to shorten games though because TV networks need every possible penny they can get now due to cord cutting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I am just the opposite.

I liked Ed Reed because he was a film study room geek. He knew what the QB was going to do before the QB did. His anticipation in going for the ball was second to none, including Lott. I didn't care for the big hits when they weren't necessary. The object is to stop the opponent, not injure him to make him leave the game. That's got nothing to do with sportsmanship - rooting for that is like rooting for the lions vs gladiators or violent car crashes at the Indy 500. You probably admire Vontez Burfict. I think he should be banned.

You were watching the Giants in the 80s. I couldn't stand the Giants as they had one of the most boring offenses in the NFL since the time I was a kid (I think Tucker Fredrickson is the first RB I recall for them). Nah, give me the old Marino vs. Kenny O'Brien games. 51-45 with Wesley Walker going for 900 yards or whatever. Those were an absolute blast.

I no longer watch the NFL unless I'm invited to a SB party. Just don't care. It wasn't so much the game itself that turned me off as the endless (and pointless) amped-up commentary all day Sunday as if this were the most important thing on Earth and every play is dissected to show its purported brilliance of the coach/QB/MLB or whomever. It's still a relatively simple game and I can appreciate the way old man Brady can still pick apart a defense with his head instead of any uniquely freaky physical skills (I was also an ardent admirer of Chad "Rag Arm" Pennington, possibly the smartest QB to ever play the game).

Also no denying part of my disdain for the NFL was also moving to Pittsburgh in 2002 when both hockey and baseball sucked and Stillers culture was suffocating. NY/CT was never like that. I just tuned out around 2010 and have no interest in anything NFL these days, although I still enjoy the college game (although tailgating is a big part of that).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

So I'll give you a couple of things.

1. The games are way too long - this matters more in person because at home I've got a remote. UCFB is right the NFL is similar but RedZone is incredible.

2. I also hate the Big 12 and their style. So I pretty much just avoid the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I sort of agree. Games are way too long. The NFL did a study and concluded that 3 hours should be the goal. After that fan interest wanes unless it's a close game among rivals. 33-31 Giants-Eagles maybe people still watch. 31-20 Giants-Minnesota they go to dinner. And tv is actually hurting the game at this point. Schedules are bad (no way there should be a game August 25 for heaven's sake). And endless commercials, night games in New England in late November. Just insane stuff. I miss the days when Bo was asked to move a Michigan game for tv. "Foot meets leather at 1pm. If you want to cover it be there then." But I get it ain't changing.

I also like defensive games if they are well played. In some ways football is becoming basketball with 11 guys on a side. For most teams not wearing national flag blue it is becoming far too easy to score. I think there must be a happy medium somewhere where defense actually matters for more than the occasional stop.

I also think the P5 nonsense is going to ultimately make things worse. At the end of the day something will happen that wrecks the whole house of cards. My guess is they decide or are forced to pay players and become a real minor league which changes the dynamic in a million ways including why watch minor league football? But it could be something as simple as changing tastes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the product on the field is fine and I would like college football a lot more, but realignment has really sucked the life out of the sport. It feels like there are almost never non-P5 upsets of P5 anymore, where 10 years ago there were a handful every weekend in September. The whole sport seems rigged.

Reaction Score
So far the games that I've watched have been pretty good. Aside from the neutral field action early and the P5 G5 debacle, my only issue is the amount of guys getting tossed from games because their head happens to be attached to their shoulders when contacting a player trying to score a touchdown. I understand the goal but the rule is silly as interpreted, especially when you see offensive players dipping their helmets to deliver a blow on defenders with no consequence. I fully expect them to start acting like soccer players to draw more ejections if they don't amend it soon.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Mizzou was up on Missouri State 48-35 at the half today.

Horrible football.

Reaction Score
The QBs are bad in general, expect for a handful here-and-there

Tonight #1, 3 will play two either DBs or WRs at QB. It's s gimmick. Even if I was an alum of Alabama I'd be smart enough to know this is goofy. Well.....maybe not, but anyone else

It can be exciting and the atmosphere is fun most times

Is there a reason why uconn football games take 4 hours to play?

Reaction Score
The QBs are bad in general, expect for a handful here-and-there

Tonight #1, 3 will play two either DBs or WRs at QB. It's s gimmick. Even if I was an alum of Alabama I'd be smart enough to know this is goofy. Well.....maybe not, but anyone else

It can be exciting and the atmosphere is fun most times
But is it really because of the QBs? I feel the problem is TV and reviews.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom