Opening Weekend in Georgia | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Opening Weekend in Georgia

Reaction Score
UConn goes 2-1 in the opening weekend. A rare event. Did it last year against UMass Lowell going 3-1, another northeast team. Before that, the last time UConn won an opening weekend was against Big 10 teams in 2010. Before that, in 2006 they went 2-1 against Florida Atlantic.

Reaction Score
UConn>A 15EBA9EE-1BD5-44A6-8746-213D5AB4E8E0.jpeg 15EBA9EE-1BD5-44A6-8746-213D5AB4E8E0.jpeg

Reaction Score
I will take it. For a few moments there I was worried about a what the hell loss. 7-1 lead evaporated but grinded out that 10th inning rally all with 2 outs....

2-1 with a victory over an ACC team...please and thank you

Reaction Score
Alright, I made it through security at the airport and I finally have a chance to give my thoughts about the opening series.

First off, I’m bummed I couldn’t stay to watch the 10th inning live. Thanks to Chris Jones and the one-and-only Willy Yahn I was able to listen.

Now about the team. As I mentioned a few times this week, this team will be great in 2018. There were a few moments where execution was less than stellar, but this is the first time they’ve played on dirt with a Hook C on their hats since June. I’ll chalk it up as rustiness and will expect it to improve as the season progresses. I felt the bullpen was mismanaged by Penders in the GT game but just like the team he’s getting back into the swing of things and trying to get a feel for what he has.

Great wins this week and even in the loss they showed a lot of grit and heart trying to fight back in awful conditions. #rollskies

Reaction Score
New players starting in key positions. Northeast school that doesn't have an outdoor turf field. First time outside. First weekend facing live pitching other then your own. Playing on the road. Not easy things to deal with. 2-1 is a good opening weekend. This team will start to gel in the coming weeks. Opening weekend is about seeing what guys can do and finding roles that best help the team win. Things will start to fall into place.

Winkel, in my biased opinion, needs to play every game at 1B. He is tremendous with the glove.

Reaction Score
Great weekend for the boys. After tough weather conditions Friday night they really bounced back. Today's game is definitely a game they would have lost in the past. The 2 Cali pitchers are going to be good. Liked what I saw from both. I think the thing that stands out this year is the offense. Solid throughout the lineup and even appear to have depth off the bench. Lot of pop. Awesome game today and a great start down here in Georgia.

Reaction Score
New players starting in key positions. Northeast school that doesn't have an outdoor turf field. First time outside. First weekend facing live pitching other then your own. Playing on the road. Not easy things to deal with. 2-1 is a good opening weekend. This team will start to gel in the coming weeks. Opening weekend is about seeing what guys can do and finding roles that best help the team win. Things will start to fall into place.

Winkel, in my biased opinion, needs to play every game at 1B. He is tremendous with the glove.

If Stefanski hits in CF, it increases the chance that Winkel stays at 1B, providing he hits as well.

Reaction Score
Pretty good result. People forget Kennesaw came within a fart of getting the Omaha a few years back and produced the National Player of the year a few years back. They don't suck - returned almost their entire starting lineup and added a JUCO transfer in Jaylen Smith (who his the HR) who was a two-time All American at CVCC. Garrett Hodges is hitting freaking 7th or whatever, so they can bang. No shame in dropping that one.

Other two wins were excellent.

Reaction Score
And there's not much to be taken from these games, anyway. Sloppy conditions, everyone's pretty awful early on... Morehead State scored like 5 runs in their first weekend and they led the country in runs scored last year by a lot, had the #2 guy in HR's and the top guy in AVG (Boggess) and returned *everyone* back from that lineup... Fullerton couldn't hit a beachball. Long Beach wasn't much better. So... is what it is.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Pretty good result. People forget Kennesaw came within a fart of getting the Omaha a few years back and produced the National Player of the year a few years back. They don't suck - returned almost their entire starting lineup and added a JUCO transfer in Jaylen Smith (who his the HR) who was a two-time All American at CVCC. Garrett Hodges is hitting freaking 7th or whatever, so they can bang. No shame in dropping that one.

Other two wins were excellent.

KSU has a good program (they were ranked when we beat them twice a few years ago), but they were a dumpster fire after they played us this weekend. That could be a bad loss by the end of the year.

Regardless, 2-1 away from home is fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom