Open Letter to ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Open Letter to ESPN

Reaction Score
Well said, over the years I have tuned out the audio lowered the volume even watched games on mute while I'm on the computer.

Reaction Score
Excellent idea, and follow through. If there are facts, figures and sidebar stories they want to share with the audience, they can use the 3-4 minutes they go on the air to do that, or the 30-45 seconds coming out of commercials. Doing play by play on TV is much different than on radio.

There’s a fine line between excessive banter and calling game action. The iconic and hall of fame announcers knew/know to talk and when not to.
How about, at the very least they talk about players / coaches for the game being broadcast? The chatter doesn't have to be about miscellaneous topics or other sports. Keep it w/in the WCBB! After all, the fans watching WCBB are there watching the game for a reason. ;)

Reaction Score
Bear in mind that while you raise good points in general, in the covid era things are more difficult. They typically aren’t in the arena, they’re home watching monitors, so they can’t always see substitutions and aren’t always sure about fouls without having eyes at the scorer‘s table. Even quickly recognizing players by sight can be a little harder in two dimensions - normally they would go to gameday shootaround just to get familiar with who’s who by sight before they get on air.
This has been an issue since way before the unfortunate COVID pandemic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gentlemen
I would be happy to consult with you, watch some games together and point out the deficiencies in the current approach by virtually your entIre staff.

In my view it is a question of training and supervision. A check list could easily be put together with the "essentials" taking priority.
It’s good to register your opinion and let them know what you like/dislike. However, if you want your comments to actually be “heard,” you might want to be a bit less antagonistic.

1) A salutation of “ladies and gentlemen”
2) correct spelling. Opening references to “woman” when you mean “women.”
3) “I would be happy to consult with you ...” They have a made a choice about how to broadcast games. It’s fine for you to criticize that choice, but to imply that you, a non-broadcaster, can tutor them is pretty insulting.
4) similarly with the "check list" comment

if a chef cooked a meal that was too spicy, you’d critique “too spicy,” not offer to show him OR HER how to cut vegetables.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Picky grammar lapses to the side, you nailed it, Michael! And you have identified the correct target. With only one or two exceptions, EVERY current sportscaster is guilty of all the aggravations and omissions you mention, so it must be that their employers want them to do this, for God only knows what possible reasons. Hard to see how it could be fear of dead space, since there is more than enough action on the court to provide material for comment. In most cases it can´t be lack of knowledge of the game, as many of these folks are themselves ex players and/or coaches. As to what the real reason is,I have no clue. Does anyone?

Reaction Score
It’s good to register your opinion and let them know what you like/dislike. However, if you want your comments to actually be “heard,” you might want to be a bit less antagonistic.

1) A salutation of “ladies and gentlemen”
2) correct spelling. Opening references to “woman” when you mean “women.”
3) “I would be happy to consult with you ...” They have a made a choice about how to broadcast games. It’s fine for you to criticize that choice, but to imply that you, a non-broadcaster, can tutor them is pretty insulting.
4) similarly with the "check list" comment

if a chef cooked a meal that was too spicy, you’d critique “too spicy,” not offer to show him OR HER how to cut vegetables.
he is right and your wrong. Sometimes the only way go get heard is to be agressive. This trend started a long time ago when they started replaceing regular announcers with ex players. They used to have an ex coach or player do the color but it seems to have morphed entirely into color.

The womens games are worse because they seldom if ever have real announcers but are staffed entirely which ex players and coaches who are suited more to Sports news commentary and not announcing. I have watched games that resembled nothing but casual conversations between two sports fans with no hint they are even at a game. Part of the problem is that the womens game was and sitll is highly infected by the " good ol girl "syndrome. They feel it is necessary to have mostly women involved in the sport. I doubt that their are very many pure professional announcers who are women. So we have get stuck with sports commentators fill ins comprised of ex coaches and ex jocks who just do not have announcers skills. It does take skill to be a competent announcer. Its not just about filling dead air with gossipy banter or sports talk material.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That depends. Dick Vitale was guilty of wandering around non game related topics (mostly other teams that weren't on the floor, especially his beloved Dukies) a long, long time ago. Currently Bill Walton is absolutely the worst, he treats every game like it's a talk show he's hosting. Walton is far worse than any broadcaster I've heard doing women's games.
However Walton is usually the color commentator. In the womens game one can often not tell the difference between the announcer and the color commentator. They both go off the rails and no one is left to bring it back to the game at hand.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
However Walton is usually the color commentator. In the womens game one can often not tell the difference between the announcer and the color commentator. They both go off the rails and no one is left to bring it back to the game at hand.
Ha, Walton so dominates the conversation that the announcer has a hard time getting a word in.

Reaction Score
he is right and your wrong. Sometimes the only way go get heard is to be agressive.
There is a difference between aggressive and condescension. If I got that email as originally written, I would roll my eyes and hit delete.
This trend started a long time ago when they started replaceing regular announcers with ex players. They used to have an ex coach or player do the color but it seems to have morphed entirely into color.
Who are these play-by-play announcers that are ex-players/coaches?

The main pbp on ESPN & SECN are Ryan Ruocco, Eric Frede, and that young woman whose name escapes me but is often paired with Peck. None are former athletes.

And some ex-athletes become very good announcers -- Pat Summerall, Terry Gannon, and Robin Roberts to name a few.

Reaction Score
Michael's open letter to ESPN is, of course, spot on as the 63 and counting likes clearly indicates. We've all groused about this time and time again but with no relief in sight. The sad fact is that the large networks, who are the most guilty of having chatty broadcasting teams, are fully aware of how their games are called and that is how they want it. Although I have never hear anyone say how much they like that style of announcing - how frequently do you hear people say they just mute the sound and listen to the radio broadcast where possible? - the networks are convinced that their audience really like what they are providing. Do they have market research that says they get better ratings with a Dick Vitale than with a Jay Bilas? Whatever the reason is I'm afraid it is something we'll have to live with.

But kudos to Michael for tilting with the windmill!

Reaction Score
Do they have market research that says they get better ratings with a Dick Vitale than with a Jay Bilas?
Another odd argument.

Jay Bilas gets all their A game assignments, and Vitale now does 2nd/3rd tier games., so you're complaining about a reality that doesn't exist.

Reaction Score
ESPN, as soon as they see the email, will ignore and hit delete as soon as they see the UConn fan part. They don't like UConn, especially the Women's program.

Reaction Score
ESPN, as soon as they see the email, will ignore and hit delete as soon as they see the UConn fan part. They don't like UConn, especially the Women's program.
hahahahahaha

If you really want to show your ignorance, lead with that line.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Gentlemen
After they read "Gentlemen" they will not take your letter seriously. You should have started with something like "To Whom It Does Concern" or some gender nuetral address. Stating "70+" also causes them to drop interest, since you are not, in all likelyhood, in their target markets, nor their sponsors' target markets. Rune Arledge changed sports reporting and programing to entertainment TV in order to attract an audiance in tune with his marketing strategy. All the networks followed suit when they began to lose ratings to him and ABC Sports. He then was made head of ABC news and you witness his news legacy every day. He converted news into entertainment, journalism be damned, for ratings and more sponsers dollars. As Sicilian said "this particular ship has sailed long ago." However, venting one's speen occasionally feels good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope that letter was also cc'd to FoxSports and CBSN. I have sent similar concerns to all. I believe the problem stems from hiring people with no/little training/experience in broadcasting, or poor communication skills. This can also be seen/heard with many of the recent hires in local TV news reporting.
Poor communication skills is an understatement, a few can barely speak English in an understandable fashion, one in particular. You know who.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Processed

1613565871555.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members