OOC Scheduling Next Year | The Boneyard

OOC Scheduling Next Year

Reaction Score
Between tournaments, conference challenges, and prior multiple game series, what games do we already know about? I know we have a tourney at MSG but forget which one / which teams. I also seem to recall hearing the Florida series was a home/home/neutral but I could be wrong. And is Gavitt Games still a thing?

Aside from known games, which games do you want to see scheduled? Personally I would to see some more ACC teams (ie. Pitt, Cuse, Louiseville) scheduled and think it could make a lot of sense in terms of strengthening our relationship with that conference in advance of a possible bid. I also would like to see some home games against A10 schools, in particular UMass (just to rub in the face of my UMass friends) or URI; these could be some lower level / gimme games that could still generate more interest than say a Delaware St or Long Island. Lastly, it may not be realistic, but I would really like to see a premier matchup scheduled. Something along the lines of Duke, KU, or Gonzaga (Gonzaga may be more realistic than Duke, as they’re not afraid to schedule big games given their conference schedule). Basically want a matchup that’s going to generate a lot of national buzz.

I think our OOC schedule this year was very well put together though. It was a good combination of easy/hard games to have a respectable SOS but also be mostly home games, and given the outcome I’ll generally have no complaints if we have a similar slate next year.

Reaction Score
The Florida road game was a return of the 2019-2020 Florida game at Gampel.

We have the following confirmed:
Empire Classic in NYC (vs Texas, Indiana or Louisville)
Jimmy V in NYC (UNC is in it, other two teams TBD)

Incredibly Likely:
Road game at TBD Big 12 (If I had to guess, Kansas State)

We know Hurley likes 6 cupcakes. So my guess:
-6 Q4 homes games
-3 games at MSG vs Texas, Indiana, Louisville, UNC, or TBD
-1 away game at Big 12 school
-1 home game vs a P5

Reaction Score

Incredibly Likely:

-6 Q4 homes games
-1 home game vs a P5
Any reason you think a Big 12 road game is incredibly likely? I believe the Big East - Big 12 battle concluded this year and looks the same with the Big 10 - Big East. Anyone hear anything about any new Big East challenges? Based sole on number of teams, Big East - Big 12 seems most likely. Big East - ACC would definitely be fun too though.

Reaction Score
Any reason you think a Big 12 road game is incredibly likely? I believe the Big East - Big 12 battle concluded this year and looks the same with the Big 10 - Big East. Anyone hear anything about any new Big East challenges? Based sole on number of teams, Big East - Big 12 seems most likely. Big East - ACC would definitely be fun too though.
It's still going for 2 more years

Reaction Score
Gimme Kansas at Phog
We can't. KU is on the same home/away schedule we are in the B12/BE challenge. We each played a home game this year so we're both on the road next year.

Reaction Score
We can't. KU is on the same home/away schedule we are in the B12/BE challenge. We each played a home game this year so we're both on the road next year.
so who are possibilities among the remaining 9 schools?

Reaction Score
so who are possibilities among the remaining 9 schools?
Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma. Assuming they won't repeat Oklahoma State or West Virginia, though theoretically they're also options

Reaction Score
Between tournaments, conference challenges, and prior multiple game series, what games do we already know about? I know we have a tourney at MSG but forget which one / which teams. I also seem to recall hearing the Florida series was a home/home/neutral but I could be wrong. And is Gavitt Games still a thing?

Aside from known games, which games do you want to see scheduled? Personally I would to see some more ACC teams (ie. Pitt, Cuse, Louiseville) scheduled and think it could make a lot of sense in terms of strengthening our relationship with that conference in advance of a possible bid. I also would like to see some home games against A10 schools, in particular UMass (just to rub in the face of my UMass friends) or URI; these could be some lower level / gimme games that could still generate more interest than say a Delaware St or Long Island. Lastly, it may not be realistic, but I would really like to see a premier matchup scheduled. Something along the lines of Duke, KU, or Gonzaga (Gonzaga may be more realistic than Duke, as they’re not afraid to schedule big games given their conference schedule). Basically want a matchup that’s going to generate a lot of national buzz.

I think our OOC schedule this year was very well put together though. It was a good combination of easy/hard games to have a respectable SOS but also be mostly home games, and given the outcome I’ll generally have no complaints if we have a similar slate next year.
No Louisville, ever. And BC can suck rocks too. Any other ACC school would be fine.

Love the idea of upgrading the cupcake segment of the schedule to schools like UMass or URI.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We should be playing Syracuse every season. The rivalry/hatred between the two fanbases is still strong, despite having not faced each other in years.

And perfect- they can slot in as one of our Q4 cupcakes next season.

Reaction Score

Incredibly Likely:

-6 Q4 homes games
-1 home game vs a P5
If we get Louisville first round, kill me

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You just knew I was going to post on this.

We have three games confirmed in NYC (think of it as a 3-game MTE between the two events).

We also have a road game vs. a Big 12 team likely (hope it's Baylor).

For the rest of the schedule, I hope we do something like this:

Home half of a home and home with Syracuse
Home half of a home and home with Arizona
Away half of a home and home with Pitt
Home vs. Yale
Home vs. Harvard
Home vs. Princeton
Home vs. Penn

With this very doable schedule, we would likely have less than 3 Q4 games next year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You just knew I was going to post on this.

We have three games confirmed in NYC (think of it as a 3-game MTE between the two events).

We also have a road game vs. a Big 12 team likely (hope it's Baylor).

Home vs. Yale
Home vs. Harvard
Home vs. Princeton
Home vs. Penn

With this very doable schedule, we would likely have less than 3 Q4 games next year.
We might as well join the Ivy League at that point.

That would be a dream scenario though. But you know we’re gonna get at-least 5 sub-200 NET teams instead.

However, maybe we will feel better about scheduling more in the 100-200 range now that Hurley has proof of concept that we are a top 10-15 team.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
-6 Q4 homes games
-1 home game vs a P5
Shouldn't that be 7 cupcakes with Louisville included?

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma. Assuming they won't repeat Oklahoma State or West Virginia, though theoretically they're also options
Baylor as one of the first games in their new arena would have been great, but I don't think it's getting completed until late 2023.

Assuming we make at least the second weekend of March, it would be a huge miss to not have UConn/Kansas even if it means back to back years of home/road games for either school.

Reaction Score
We should host Yale every year as long as they continue to be top-half in the Ivy.

If we wanted to game the NET a bit we could even play a “neutral” site game against them in Bridgeport or Mohegan Sun occasionally. We’d have to work out the financials with the venue - not sure if it’s mandatory to split gate receipts or something. But Yale certainly doesn’t need the buy game so no problem there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would love it if we started somehow getting Boston games scheduled as there are for sure a lot of UConn fans to the North. Maybe we get a standalone neutral site game against a big name team at the Garden similar to some we’ve had at MSG. Otherwise it would be BC (not happening), UMass/Northeastern (would be at home instead), I guess we really need Boston area to find a good team

Reaction Score
Baylor as one of the first games in their new arena would have been great, but I don't think it's getting completed until late 2023.

Assuming we make at least the second weekend of March, it would be a huge miss to not have UConn/Kansas even if it means back to back years of home/road games for either school.
Great in a "chalk that up to a loss" kinda way.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would love it if we started somehow getting Boston games scheduled as there are for sure a lot of UConn fans to the North. Maybe we get a standalone neutral site game against a big name team at the Garden similar to some we’ve had at MSG. Otherwise it would be BC (not happening), UMass/Northeastern (would be at home instead), I guess we really need Boston area to find a good team
I remember going to The Boston Garden years ago to watch UConn play Gonzaga
Playing someone like that at the Garden would be nice
Screw BCU

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Home vs. Yale
Home vs. Harvard
Home vs. Princeton
Home vs. Penn

I'd say its 50-50 that a single thing on that list happens. Certainly won't be Arizona- AD has said they don't wanna do those H&H's out west anymore.

Reaction Score
Hope we schedule cupcakes… our schedule is going to be brutal… we need cupcakes because we are going to have a lot of freshman coming in

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'd say its 50-50 that a single thing on that list happens. Certainly won't be Arizona- AD has said they don't wanna do those H&H's out west anymore.
Can swap Arizona with someone like Virginia.

Reaction Score
If we're going to play 300+ ranked teams, we might as well open the season against CCSU. Honestly think we should do that every year. Play it at the XL too and you just might draw a couple hundred extra CCSU alumni as well. Mix in a couple HBCUs. I'd be happy to play Holy Cross, UMaine/UNH for other local cupcakes. Would love to play Yale but they might be too good to make it on our schedule at this rate.

As far as the Big 12 challenge goes, would love to have a men's/women's doubleheader at Baylor next year. Think that lends itself to a cool experience for both sets of fans.

Reaction Score
If we're going to play 300+ ranked teams, we might as well open the season against CCSU. Honestly think we should do that every year. Play it at the XL too and you just might draw a couple hundred extra CCSU alumni as well. Mix in a couple HBCUs. I'd be happy to play Holy Cross, UMaine/UNH for other local cupcakes. Would love to play Yale but they might be too good to make it on our schedule at this rate.

As far as the Big 12 challenge goes, would love to have a men's/women's doubleheader at Baylor next year. Think that lends itself to a cool experience for both sets of fans.

Central-UConn should be an annual game at Civic Center. It is an easy way for the Huskies to schedule a game in Hartford and the local interest/attendance is basically as good or better than any Q4 team you can put on the schedule in November/December.

However, I'm much less interested in seeing us playing a season opener at Gampel. Let another cupcake from out of state be the sacrificial offering.

Bottom line is if UConn is going to pay $75k each to home non-conf opponent like a Wagner, Niagara, NJIT, or a HBCUs - they should be willing to set aside one game annually for the other in-state public university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom