ONOs ready to go | The Boneyard

ONOs ready to go

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For the first time in her UConn career, there will be a least two guards
who fully understand the concept of feeding the post in a manner that anticipates makable shots.

I believe that Liv can double her scoring output, even just based on last season's prowess...an unlikely scenario. She's better and stronger.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe she can be as good as she wants to be. And I also think that she has a very high ceiling.
Michelangelo had a very high ceiling! :D

1606059010336.png

Reaction Score
I think leadership and the growth from another year of experience are things we expect from sophs becoming juniors. No real news there just normal evolution.

The extra weight and two new great passers, however, are more significant reasons to expect a little more than the one year growth. I haven't heard anything more specific than she has put on some additional weight and gained strength. Every pound helps, because Liv's inability to consistently finish or rebound thru contact was her biggest weakness. Somebody with her height, mobility, and leaping ability should be close to an automatic finisher around the basket, and able to get some rebounds more because of holding her position than her ability to elevate. We also hope for improvements because of losing pounds for Anna, and it sounds like Christyn may have made strides to get in better shape as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd be happy if Liv just learned to go over her left shoulder. Liv averaged about 11 ppg last year. I reckon she'd have averaged a good 4 points more per game if just that. Easily. I was surprised she averaged 11 ppg since she really only had three shots: right leg drop for a layup, spin to her right and shoot a fadeaway, and the occasional put back. Just a little more variety, please.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Liv could add 4 pts to her average just by continuing to improve her FT percentage. There is no reason why she shouldn't be averaging around 18 pts a game and takeover the Walker pts.
That too.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, if the front court players can average the following, we'd be in a good position to win every game.

Liv-18
Aubrey-11
Aaliyah-7
Mir-2
Piath-2

That's 40....and all you can expect a front court to do. The guards should be able to average another 40-45 and there's a regular UConn 80-85 pt average we have talked about that last year's team couldn't get to.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, if the front court players can average the following, we'd be in a good position to win every game.

Liv-18
Aubrey-11
Aaliyah-7
Mir-2
Piath-2

That's 40....and all you can expect a front court to do. The guards should be able to average another 40-45 and there's a regular UConn 80-85 pt average we have talked about that last year's team couldn't get to.

Liv and Aubrey won't see these numbers this year. Liv at best is close. I think Aubrey close 6--8. But maybe Aaliyah and Mir can improve the numbers you gave. OFC it matters who they can score against. Getting a lot in blowout then little in the big games doesn't mean much.

Reaction Score
It just gives her something to motivate herself on an individual basis. Against the BE teams she is capable to do it. 15 and 10 for the game would be great.

Reaction Score
If she continues to improve on defense (esp. not fouling - i.e. slapping down on block attempts) and rebounding, UConn will be a Top 3 team. At 6'5", she should be able to score more when getting the ball down low and hit the 10' jumper consistently. Even if these flaws continue, if she can stay in the game more and defend, Huskies will be fine.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She needs a hook shot. I saw CD working with Aubrey on the Mikan drill. A must for every post player.
The Tina Charles hook shot may be the most effective shot is women's basketball. Or ANY shot by Azzi Fudd. :)

Reaction Score
However, I do remember Geno saying that about Tina Charles when he was pushing her buttons back in the day.

I remember that too. He did love to push her buttons. Very unrlealistic but that's why he's a great coach. He pushes for best without apology.

Reaction Score
If she continues to improve on defense (esp. not fouling - i.e. slapping down on block attempts) and rebounding, UConn will be a Top 3 team. At 6'5", she should be able to score more when getting the ball down low and hit the 10' jumper consistently. Even if these flaws continue, if she can stay in the game more and defend, Huskies will be fine.
She should watch tape of Stokes and Stewie blocking shots. Actually the coaches probably already do. I loved watching those 2 blocking shots. Even watch Lobo who was a great shot blocker at the 4.

Reaction Score
I think leadership and the growth from another year of experience are things we expect from sophs becoming juniors. No real news there just normal evolution.

The extra weight and two new great passers, however, are more significant reasons to expect a little more than the one year growth. I haven't heard anything more specific than she has put on some additional weight and gained strength. Every pound helps, because Liv's inability to consistently finish or rebound thru contact was her biggest weakness. Somebody with her height, mobility, and leaping ability should be close to an automatic finisher around the basket, and able to get some rebounds more because of holding her position than her ability to elevate. We also hope for improvements because of losing pounds for Anna, and it sounds like Christyn may have made strides to get in better shape as well.
One aspect of having your body change over a season is adjusting and being able to take advantage empathizing the areas of the game where that body change is an advantage. Any change usually can also involve in some sort of trade-off like speed for strength or visa versa. The key is finding the happy meduim. There is a point where one area does not interfer with the other but that point has to be discovered.

Reaction Score
The Tina Charles hook shot may be the most effective shot is women's basketball. Or ANY shot by Azzi Fudd. :)
My daughter taught Tina the jump hook when she was at Christ the King .. it was my daughter's bread-n-butter shot at Christ the King several years before Tina came to CK.
A hook shot is a close-in finesse shot; you don't need to hit the weight room to make it work; it's perfect for Liv, she of the slender frame, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom