ONO! | The Boneyard

ONO!

Reaction Score
OK, OK, they are playing a Div II team.

Nevertheless, ONO looked much better tonight. She moved on offense and defense, crashing the boards, had a nice stroke on her free throws, and hit a mid-range jump shot.

If this keeps up, maybe, just maybe, Geno will trust her in March.

We shall see.

P.S. And CW looked very good tonight. :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And we should also mention Molly Bent, who played a ton of minutes, put up some all-around stats, and most importantly took the open shots that she should have taken. She played many more minutes tonight than Mikayla Coombs.

I don't think that Geno has made a definite decision yet as to which of those two players will be his first guard off the bench. He will probably go with whoever is playing better on that particular day, since neither of them has established a reputation for consistency as of now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Liv finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Her best showing by far.

She posted up, ran the floor, drove the lane, hit a jumper, made FTs, got deflections, and had at least one block. Coach has to be happy.

Reaction Score
like all freshmen ONO is going to have an uneven season but you can see how she impacts the game on both ends of the court..............she's extremely skilled for 6'4" and when she gets a bit stronger and more confident she'll be out there more often then not ...........

Reaction Score
like all freshmen ONO is going to have an uneven season but you can see how she impacts the game on both ends of the court....she's extremely skilled for 6'4" and when she gets a bit stronger and more confident she'll be out there more often then not ......

I agree. However, from last week to this---BIG Change. Also, Molly shot 5 shots one 3 went in. Ok, average not so good but this is a huge step for Molly she shot more tonight than last year (ok exaggeration,but). I tip my hat to Geno. Unlike past years all the kids except Gordon got good minutes. I like that he is TEACHING in these games. Thank YOU Geno. Yea, he has 12 NC's and I have none, he can always use a pat on the back from a pro (viewer).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I said in the chat room, Liv hit the floor running. She came out with a purpose. She ran the lanes like we've never seen. She altered both shots and passing lanes, she worked harder to maintain position on both offense and defense, she missed way fewer switches, she set her feet on her one jumper, and you could see her mouth moving all the time. Now, she still has on court work to do like getting better position on rebounds, not getting pushed off of the block on offense, keeping her mark on the perimeter and yeah, a bunch of other stuff. She needs that weight room off court. But Geno has to be pleased with her activity level, and this will get her more game time. Looks like Geno was right. She plays better than she practices. Liv is gettin' live y'all. She's exciting to watch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But UConn seems to habitually miss a batch of point-blank shots underneath. Must be bad coaching.;)

I was thinking about that, and it occurred to me that, at least in the cases of the veterans, they might be expecting contact and not receiving any. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
As I said in the chat room, Liv hit the floor running. She came out with a purpose. She ran the lanes like we've never seen. She altered both shots and passing lanes, she worked harder to maintain position on both offense and defense, she missed way fewer switches, she set her feet on her one jumper, and you could see her mouth moving all the time. Now, she still has on court work to do like getting better position on rebounds, not getting pushed off of the block on offense, keeping her mark on the perimeter and yeah, a bunch of other stuff. She needs that weight room off court. But Geno has to be pleased with her activity level, and this will get her more game time. Looks like Geno was right. She plays better than she practices. Liv is gettin' live y'all. She's exciting to watch.

so she plays better then she practices................does this mean that Geno is deviating from his normal philosophy that if you don't practice well you don't play? Well you remember the old phrase "necessity is the mother of invention"............he has no choice but to get her minutes if the team wants to make it back to the Final Four this season..............

Reaction Score
Molly played outstanding on the defensive end. She had her hands up and in the passing lanes and was moving well. ONO played like a different player. She actually got on the ground and caused a jump ball while going for a 50/50 ball. She also seemed more comfortable on the court and had no fear in the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Molly played outstanding on the defensive end. She had her hands up and in the passing lanes and was moving well. ONO played like a different player. She actually got on the ground and caused a jump ball while going for a 50/50 ball. She also seemed more comfortable on the court and had no fear in the offensive end.

good things tend to happen when you are playing a vertically challenged D2 team.................ONO is going to be AA caliber in the next year or two but she's going to have to test herself against real competition that's fast approaching to get there

Reaction Score

Against Oh St I said : ONO, Oh NO! that is changing to OH YES. Your highlight portion above seems to say FRESHMAN. It would appear Geno or Christine (who coaches the Bigs) whispered in her ear--GET IT or Sit--it would appear she is getting it. Really nice numbers If she gets a bit better every game to March Uconn will be in good hands--Geno Christine, Megan, CW, Danger, Precious and the Missionary (she's on a mission), ONO (maybe), Irwin (maybe), Mikayla (maybe), Bent (maybe) --its a better year UC has a lot of maybe's unlike last year with a lot of OH NO's.

Reaction Score
good things tend to happen when you are playing a vertically challenged D2 team.......ONO is going to be AA caliber in the next year or two but she's going to have to test herself against real competition that's fast approaching to get there
You are an ONO supporter big time! You are right this was Div2 competition and height challenged. For UConn and Geno it is good to ease her into Div 1 competition. She'll pay a serious price before she get a ticket to the really big time. What is encouraging is: She is showing progress, in real time, and the AAC may hone her skills for March. I keep barking about Frosh Stewie because a world class player had issues starting to play College Div 1 basketball-Walker, Williams (CW/Okey Dokie), ONO may all become top players.

Reaction Score
who's the team that cancelled on Geno that they have to play an exhibition game after starting the season??

Reaction Score
And we should also mention Molly Bent, who played a ton of minutes, put up some all-around stats, and most importantly took the open shots that she should have taken. She played many more minutes tonight than Mikayla Coombs.

I don't think that Geno has made a definite decision yet as to which of those two players will be his first guard off the bench. He will probably go with whoever is playing better on that particular day, since neither of them has established a reputation for consistency as of now.
You are right in all you say: Molly was as I expect as a Frosh. A bit more confidence.
You are also correct that Geno has not set this team in stone the 5 or the subs, that may evolve as he sees more Div 1 games. For him and the team, it's much too early to set up your normal 8/9 rotation.

Reaction Score
so she plays better then she practices......does this mean that Geno is deviating from his normal philosophy that if you don't practice well you don't play? Well you remember the old phrase "necessity is the mother of invention"..he has no choice but to get her minutes if the team wants to make it back to the Final Four this season....
Think Charde! Geno, adjusts as needed, speaks philosophies. Is he deviating? Your phrase about mother and invention is probably a more accurate description of Geno for the last 30 years. He is rigid when it suits his team or him, a bit more flexible when it may be suitable to not hold hard. Geno as we all do learns to adjust what worked in 1990 Philisophically doesn't work in 2018. People that have no flexibility usually are not so successful. Your last sentence I would substitute "many" for "her" minutes. So far he has been using that bench and giving all (healthy) good minutes--I like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom