ONO: Put em up, put em up! | The Boneyard

ONO: Put em up, put em up!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Olivia Nelson-Ododa may not be a finished product, but she’s at least making the effort to get there.
“She’s a little bit more of a fighter than I would expect,” Dailey said

Lacking an intimidating presence in the paint, the Huskies have been waiting for the 6-foot-5 freshman to play with a mean streak. She ramped up her intensity against Wichita State, recording a career-high six blocks."

Wait, there's more, but Nan is a stickler for the Fair Use Doctrine so you'll just have to read the rest of this article to get the other 4 takeaways. God forbid there be 4 or 6.

UConn women’s takeaways: Consistent Collier records another double-double

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“The coaches have been emphasizing my defense and what I can contribute there, so in every game I try to go out there and get the stops I need to and get the rebounds I need to," Nelson-Ododa said. "I just feel like the offense will fall into place when it needs to.”

Sounds like if Chris had said go get 9 blocks she would!

Anyway, this is Kelli Stacy's version of 5 Takeaways.

Chris Dailey remains undefeated and other takeaways from UConn’s win over Wichita State

Reaction Score
“The coaches have been emphasizing my defense and what I can contribute there, so in every game I try to go out there and get the stops I need to and get the rebounds I need to," Nelson-Ododa said. "I just feel like the offense will fall into place when it needs to.”

Sounds like if Chris had said go get 9 blocks she would!

Anyway, this is Kelli Stacy's version of 5 Takeaways.

Chris Dailey remains undefeated and other takeaways from UConn’s win over Wichita State
Coach Dailey has a different rotation, a bit, than Geno, I like it. As for ONO in these last 2 or 3 games she has been more aggressive, making more FT's, and showing a MEAN streak. That is terrible: A nice kid comes to UConn and they make her MEAN. What does that say about UConn and Christine Dailey???
They know how to create champions out of nice kids!!! Keep up the good work Olivia ; you have 100,000 or more Uc fans rooting for you..

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No doubt her defensive skills, timing and rebounding have improved dramatically but I was taken aback a bit by her comment

"I just feel like the offense will fall into place when it needs to.”

She probably means "in time" but I hope she knows that it will take an immense amount of work to build an offensive game.

In truth, it reminds me of Kiah Stokes who we all know was such a defensive force but could never seem to grow her offensive game. I think that was mostly Kiah''s mental makeup since she seemed reasonably content to be the teams defensive stopper.

I hope Liv's offensive goals are a bit closer to Stewie's than Kiah's

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
In truth, it reminds me of Kiah Stokes who we all know was such a defensive force but could never seem to grow her offensive game. I think that was mostly Kiah''s mental makeup since she seemed reasonably content to be the teams defensive stopper.

I think Kiah took on that role because that was the role that needed to be filled. She was brought in with KML, who was obviously there to score points, and the next year brought the Stewie show to town. Could she have become a better scorer? Probably, but that's not what the team needed.

However, UConn does need ONO to score, so while she plays a little like Kiah, the team needs are 100% different.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Here are two interesting ONO stats:

1. ONO has 72 free throw attempts in 345 minutes played, or a foul shot every 4.8 minutes. By comparison, Napheesa has one every 6.9 minutes and Megan has one every 9.2 minutes.

So, she gets to the line a lot. Her free throw mechanics and results have improved over the last few weeks.

2. ONO has 36 blocks. Napheesa leads the team with 40.

All other players on the team combined have 35.

We will need her to come up big in the paint on defense at some point or points in the NCAA Tournament.

In the off season, she will need to hit the weight room, work on going up straight on defense and not swatting down (which often causes a foul or a perceived foul), and work on releasing her shot inside higher up, more extension. She looks to have developed a decent drop step move and will need to improve that as well.

Reaction Score
I think Kiah took on that role because that was the role that needed to be filled. She was brought in with KML, who was obviously there to score points, and the next year brought the Stewie show to town. Could she have become a better scorer? Probably, but that's not what the team needed.

However, UConn does need ONO to score, so while she plays a little like Kiah, the team needs are 100% different.
It’s a little premature to compare Liv to Kiah, who was the best shot blocker and rebounder in college her last 2 years. Even better than Stewie. That said, her potential may be even higher.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Liv is the new Sultan of Swat! Here's the original:

babe-ruth.jpg

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It’s a little premature to compare Liv to Kiah, who was the best shot blocker and rebounder in college her last 2 years. Even better than Stewie. That said, her potential may be even higher.

I didn’t say it wasn’t, I was just responding. However, there are quite a few similarities between Freshman Kiah and Freshman ONO.

I think she has the potential to be a defensive machine, but I don’t think anyone could argue with the fact that she will need to develop her offensive game more than Kiah ever did if UConn is going to be the UConn everyone expects.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I hear ya but that's not necessarily true regarding Kiah. Geno lamented numerous times in public (IIRC) that no matter what they tried, they could not get Kiah to be more aggressive on offense (ie. looking for her shot).

She showed flashes in the WNBA and we all thought "wow - what are the coaches doing differently there"... Then she would revert back to goose eggs on the scoring stat line. But she was a tremendous defender while at UCONN, and is elite at that in the WNBA too.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, often, but give ONO a little quality bulk and she can be something special.
Agree, she will blossom down the road and I've said already she could be the key to getting the NC this year.
If she can have quality minutes against some of the best bigs it is what this teams needs.

Reaction Score
No doubt her defensive skills, timing and rebounding have improved dramatically but I was taken aback a bit by her comment

"I just feel like the offense will fall into place when it needs to.”

She probably means "in time" but I hope she knows that it will take an immense amount of work to build an offensive game.

I hope Liv's offensive goals are a bit closer to Stewie's than Kiah's
Kiah was Iowa's player of the year once or twice. You don't get that title for Defense.

Reaction Score
Here are two interesting ONO stats:

1. ONO has 72 free throw attempts in 345 minutes played, or a foul shot every 4.8 minutes. By comparison, Napheesa has one every 6.9 minutes and Megan has one every 9.2 minutes.

So, she gets to the line a lot. Her free throw mechanics and results have improved over the last few weeks.

2. ONO has 36 blocks. Napheesa leads the team with 40.

All other players on the team combined have 35.

We will need her to come up big in the paint on defense at some point or points in the NCAA Tournament.

In the off season, she will need to hit the weight room, work on going up straight on defense and not swatting down (which often causes a foul or a perceived foul), and work on releasing her shot inside higher up, more extension. She looks to have developed a decent drop step move and will need to improve that as well.
If there was a stat for fouls called when blocking a shot, ONO would lead team. Love the improvement she has made but hoping soon to see less slapping down on ball when trying to make block. Particularly against the Baylors of the world with big bodies underneath, we cant afford for ONO to foul out quickly. Wonder if this is a priority for CD.

Reaction Score
Just watched Houston reply and when ONO and Camara in game, offense also seems to improve since UConn is able to add a low post and open floor up for shooters. Particularly against the bigs of Baylor and Louisville, our post players appeared too thin and small and just got pushed outside.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just watched Houston reply and when ONO and Camara in game, offense also seems to improve since UConn is able to add a low post and open floor up for shooters. Particularly against the bigs of Baylor and Louisville, our post players appeared too thin and small and just got pushed outside.
Interesting observation. Would love to see those two contribute like they did Saturday.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I didn’t say it wasn’t, I was just responding. However, there are quite a few similarities between Freshman Kiah and Freshman ONO.

And one big difference:
She hasn't had a semi-permanent seat in the doggy bow-wow
section of the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting observation. Would love to see those two contribute like they did Saturday.

If the Creme Bracketology holds and we have MsSt as our E8 game, ONO and Batouly will need to have strong defensive contributions and stay on the court without fouling out. ..... and shut down AEH with alot of Coombs. Geno will never let her get comfortable sitting on the corner and have a good game. :)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
And one big difference:
She hasn't had a semi-permanent seat in the doggy bow-wow
section of the bench.

Eh, if Heather Buck and Big Mama Stef were on this team, too, I think we'd be seeing less of freshman ONO. If freshman Kiah were on this team, I think we'd be seeing more of her than we did.

I think comparing playing time is hard here because the rosters are so different; the point I was trying to make earlier was about skill set and need.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom