ONO! Oh no? | The Boneyard

ONO! Oh no?

Reaction Score
Does anyone get a different vibe from her the last couple of games? For awhile, I was seeing enthusiasm', involvement, drive and effort from her. Smiles. Investment. Do not see that the last couple of games. Could be just my perception. and I don't claim to be on to something. But if there has been a change, what is behind it? Tougher D's? Fatigue? Something else?

Reaction Score
Does anyone get a different vibe from her the last couple of games? For awhile, I was seeing enthusiasm', involvement, drive and effort from her. Smiles. Investment. Do not see that the last couple of games. Could be just my perception. and I don't claim to be on to something. But if there has been a change, what is behind it? Tougher D's? Fatigue? Something else?
What you saw was the feeling of being abused. She has been physically beaten, pushed , pulled , bumped all the time and the fix is easy but not intuitive. She drops the ball and dribbles the ball where tiny tots can grab it or grab her in the process. It wears on a person. I except for the Baylor game she'll not see the pulling pushing bouncing because she'll be playing taller teams that think they can foul her out not beat her out. tHEY CAN'T afford the fouls to beat her. Not to worry this is one intelligent kid with loads of talent with the best coaches in WCBB. CD will mother her and correct her faults. BElieve

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
In the eyes of the beholder. Maybe, just getting more serious about her game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's you. Might be your perception, but think I'm perceiving the same thing. You know how Geno has said she doesn't get up for practice, but plays great in games? Maybe she doesn't get up for Wichita State & SMU either. If this is the case, then maybe she'll be absolutely jacked for Baylor...?

Reaction Score

don't forget she's still playing with a broken toe.............constant activity slows the healing process and perhaps she's not 100% comfortable out there yet.........

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I noticed on her first free throw that her face looked different, older. There was not much excitement or energy in her facial features. The optimist in me thought it was a sign that she was becoming calmer and more mature, but now I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
One thing I've noticed about her is that she plays within herself. She doesn't throw her body around on low percentage efforts. I think this is a good thing. Being the only big on the team we certainly can't afford to have her injured. I think she has greatly improved her play especially defensively but she knows when to fight and when to back off. As she becomes stronger she may take more risks, but I think she is right where she needs to be now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can't even

source.gif

Reaction Score
I don't think it's you. Might be your perception, but think I'm perceiving the same thing. You know how Geno has said she doesn't get up for practice, but plays great in games? Maybe she doesn't get up for Wichita State & SMU either. If this is the case, then maybe she'll be absolutely jacked for Baylor...?

I think it's also what Tina Charles experienced in the WNBA: for her team, she's been the only inside presence, so she gets mugged by most of the other team's players the moment the ball appears to be headed towards her. She has not had the luxury of either smaller players or bigs to take the pressure off her.

Wonder what it would have been like for Breanna were she not to have had Stokes in there?

ONO will continue to get beaten up and triple- and quadruple-teamed each time she gets the ball this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's also what Tina Charles experienced in the WNBA: for her team, she's been the only inside presence, so she gets mugged by most of the other team's players the moment the ball appears to be headed towards her. She has not had the luxury of either smaller players or bigs to take the pressure off her.
Wonder what it would have been like for Breanna were she not to have had Stokes in there?
ONO will continue to get beaten up and triple- and quadruple-teamed each time she gets the ball this season.
:eek: Forgive the snark but doesn't Kiah Stokes play for the Liberty? Kiah was good enough to take pressure off Stewie but she can't help Tina?
Stewie would have been fine without Stokes because Stokes was not a starter even as a senior and UCONN had Dolson and Tuck. I wish this were true but ONO is NOT getting "triple- and quadruple-teamed". Her game at this point does not command it. What is happening is the defense is "occasionally collapsing" on ONO after she gets the ball in post. Liv is doing a good first step of reading the collapsing defender and kicking to the perimeter for open jumpers. Step two for ONO will be for her to kick and repost. Step three for ONO will be countermoves to defeat the double which might mean an occasional dribble. ONO is a work in progress and once she gets to step 3 is where you will see the full UCONN playbook opened up including post isolations and clearing one side of the floor for her and a guard/wing to operate. Look for small doses of this over the next few games and the full meal by tournament time.

Reaction Score
You obviously have not met me in person. ;)
MEYERS: actually i THINK i did have that very sobering experience once. IF i did it was blessedly brief, though it did leave me forever
a song in my heart: "Can't take my eyes offa you, you're just too good to be true." Oh and by the way, nice prediction on the score of last game UCONN game. . Guess we know who the "rusty" one is. Brother, sometimes I just crack myself up.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you watch Olivia's pregame interview on the other thread, you will notice: (a) that her hair is again directed skyward; and (b) to my eyes, she is her usual self.

Geno did say that while she likes being in the paint and blocking shots on defense, she seems to prefer to take 17-foot shots on offense. He expects Baylor to give her those shots, and he wants her to take and make a few of them, but he wants her to understand that she needs to score in the paint as well.

Although Cox is far more experienced, Liv should be more athletic in every dimension except upper body strength. It's fair to expect her to present problems for Cox's post defense, especially since she is not yet back to 100 percent.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Much ado about nothing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS: actually i THINK i did have that very sobering experience once.
My humblest apology. I don't wish that on anyone.

Oh and by the way, nice prediction on the score of last game UCONN game. . Guess we know who the "rusty" one is. Brother, sometimes I just crack myself up.
I do my small part.

Reaction Score
:eek: Forgive the snark but doesn't Kiah Stokes play for the Liberty? Kiah was good enough to take pressure off Stewie but she can't help Tina?
Stewie would have been fine without Stokes because Stokes was not a starter even as a senior and UCONN had Dolson and Tuck. I wish this were true but ONO is NOT getting "triple- and quadruple-teamed". Her game at this point does not command it. What is happening is the defense is "occasionally collapsing" on ONO after she gets the ball in post. Liv is doing a good first step of reading the collapsing defender and kicking to the perimeter for open jumpers. Step two for ONO will be for her to kick and repost. Step three for ONO will be countermoves to defeat the double which might mean an occasional dribble. ONO is a work in progress and once she gets to step 3 is where you will see the full UCONN playbook opened up including post isolations and clearing one side of the floor for her and a guard/wing to operate. Look for small doses of this over the next few games and the full meal by tournament time.

yes, Kiah does play for the Liberty but she took this last year off.

Reaction Score
Overall this year, have seen ONO be more active and show more strength on rebounds and offense. I never make assessments based on 1-2 games.

Reaction Score
I agree with the Work IN Progress--yet, you must admit from the kid that arrived on campus she has moved many light years (metaphor) away from where she began. I attribute that to 1. Intelligence, 2. Desire 3. Work 4 CD 5. Geno, Geno Geno no special order just enumerating.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder if the holidays have anything to do. The kids go from 77rpm to 331/3. They go home and enjoy the comforts (not to mention the home cooked food) and then back to the mixmaster that is Geno and the stafff. I remember coming home on leave from the Corps and starting to get a little depressed a couple of days before going back just thinking about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom