Only Solution is to bring Calhoun back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Only Solution is to bring Calhoun back

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Never going to happen, probably shouldn't happen.... but man do I badly want it to happen.

Same goes for Pitino.

Reaction Score
It doesn't hurt to ask, he obviously wants to coach again. Imagine the bump in ticket sales it would create. There would be an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
There is a saying I once heard in the Caribbean--'You have to take bad things and make jokes' (making jokes out of bad things/situation if you want to survive). This thread brings that saying to mind. Calhoun coming back. I suppose the logic there is one following upon the Football situation whereby a former coach came back last year (results of that move is still pending). It might be that after a week of exams the mind is as dead as a doorknob.
There are some knowledgeable people on this board and it might help us other if they could begin to tease out some of the real problems that Uconn is caught in. Firing coaches do not always get us from a to b. I have no problem with the AAC, but I have been questioning of late if a Uconn Program can recruit from that vantage. For ex. I think only a few schools/programs can recruit regardless of conf. It might be that a school like Uconn cannot compete for the top player type(s for that Conf. A baller that is seriously considering Houston, TX, SMU might not have a Uconn in the rear mirror. How many players can we really get from Calif.? Who are we recruiting against? In my view we are recruiting against the ACC and the B10, but we are not in either one. This logic seems to escape a lot of people here. Instead, we harked back to some glory days and a willingness to once again- 'lets praise,once more, the great men.' (Calhoun and Pitino, etc). Who knows. Perhaps we are one of the few remaining ones playing it ethically correct. Now that we know that UNC, UL and others having been cheating for ever. In the last couple of years KO has brought in more grad transfers and others to win games. While a few games have been won, players develop, chemistry and long term things havesuffered (you damn if you do and ...)
If the AAC is where we will be-- and I mean not just today, but all the tomorrows, then some serious considerations are in order (I have enough fate that the Univ is aware and planning accordingly. It is high time for the so-called fanbase (here) to play catch-up and stop screeming for heads and or this savior-- that has always been the happy status of the quick-fixers (to be polite).
Well, dawn is breaking overyonder so this vamp. will go back to bed with the expectation that the daylight people will put a dagger into my chest for not wanting to play in the traffic of coach firings, criticisms, program decline and other dark delights of the chosen few.

Reaction Score
There is a saying I once heard in the Caribbean--'You have to take bad things and make jokes' (making jokes out of bad things/situation if you want to survive). This thread brings that saying to mind. Calhoun coming back. I suppose the logic there is one following upon the Football situation whereby a former coach came back last year (results of that move is still pending). It might be that after a week of exams the mind is as dead as a doorknob.
There are some knowledgeable people on this board and it might help us other if they could begin to tease out some of the real problems that Uconn is caught in. Firing coaches do not always get us from a to b. I have no problem with the AAC, but I have been questioning of late if a Uconn Program can recruit from that vantage. For ex. I think only a few schools/programs can recruit regardless of conf. It might be that a school like Uconn cannot compete for the top player type(s for that Conf. A baller that is seriously considering Houston, TX, SMU might not have a Uconn in the rear mirror. How many players can we really get from Calif.? Who are we recruiting against? In my view we are recruiting against the ACC and the B10, but we are not in either one. This logic seems to escape a lot of people here. Instead, we harked back to some glory days and a willingness to once again- 'lets praise,once more, the great men.' (Calhoun and Pitino, etc). Who knows. Perhaps we are one of the few remaining ones playing it ethically correct. Now that we know that UNC, UL and others having been cheating for ever. In the last couple of years KO has brought in more grad transfers and others to win games. While a few games have been won, players develop, chemistry and long term things havesuffered (you damn if you do and ...)
If the AAC is where we will be-- and I mean not just today, but all the tomorrows, then some serious considerations are in order (I have enough fate that the Univ is aware and planning accordingly. It is high time for the so-called fanbase (here) to play catch-up and stop screeming for heads and or this savior-- that has always been the happy status of the quick-fixers (to be polite).
Well, dawn is breaking overyonder so this vamp. will go back to bed with the expectation that the daylight people will put a dagger into my chest for not wanting to play in the traffic of coach firings, criticisms, program decline and other dark delights of the chosen few.
Paragraphs. Please use them.

Reaction Score
The only real solution is for Calhoun to come back for us like Larry Brown did at SMU.

Calhoun needs to come coach for 2 years to stabilize the team and program while allowing the AD time to make a good selection for the new coach.

Calhoun would be able to recruit because he has the cache like Brown did and would allow for a good upcoming coach to come to a decent situation instead of a dumpster fire.

#CALLCALHOUN

Are there two or three top HS players in the Northeast or anywhere that could be convinced to play for a legend? Yeah maybe, but even if he did come back which is highly unlikely, he would still face what Ollie has also been facing, and that is trying to recruit kids to play almost all it's away games 1500-2000 miles away from Storrs. Trying to recruit in the Northeast and NYC area for the top HS players would be next to impossible. Also with Calhoun's health a 4 or 5, 10,000 mile, away game stretch might be too much for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only real solution is for Calhoun to come back for us like Larry Brown did at SMU.

Calhoun needs to come coach for 2 years to stabilize the team and program while allowing the AD time to make a good selection for the new coach.

Calhoun would be able to recruit because he has the cache like Brown did and would allow for a good upcoming coach to come to a decent situation instead of a dumpster fire.

#CALLCALHOUN
Silly - "Hey, come and play at UCONN (except I'm outa there in two years). Can't recruit on that basis.

Reaction Score
You want LB’s phone #?

He’s free.

Was putting up with the baggage and probation worth it? I say yes in our case. We are still suffering depth issues but we are on the map now with Jank.... and it’s sustainable. We’ll never have your history but I sure like our future.

Your guy’s gotta go.

Move Geno over or get yourself a coach worthy of your program.

We miss you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun had his health issues used against him 10 years ago, can you imagine the negative recruiting he would face now? There are plenty of solutions out there if AD Dave does his due diligence, but he needs to get Ollie out asap

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Kemba429, post: 2488 dancing, and that is trying to recruit kids to play almost all it's away games 1500-2000 miles away from Storrs./QUOTE]

The XL Center is not that far away.

Reaction Score
Silly - "Hey, come and play at UCONN (except I'm outa there in two years). Can't recruit on that basis.

Larry Brown didn't have a problem with recruiting at SMU, he got good players despite his age. You don't tell a recruit that I'm only coaching you for 2 years, just like Calhoun wouldn't. You tell them you have an opportunity to be coached by a Hall of Fame coach at one of the great basketball programs in the country.

PS: If Calhoun is adamant about not returning, then you look to Pitino. Say what you want about Slick Rick, he can recruit at an elite level, coach at an elite level, and bring UCONN back to prominence rapidly. Pitino will NOT be convicted of anything you can rest assured about that. Being like Ollie and Diaco and being lauded at supposedly running an upstanding programs means nothing when you're not winning and has cost UCONN dearly since realignment. Every great coach or program is accused of being dirty or cheating. Our concern needs to be rising from the ashes.

PS: Lastly, fellow yarders lets step of the moral high horse here regarding basketball ethics. We play to win the game. Pitino say what you want about him is not a joke like our current coach.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t have the physical capacity. Come on, guys, he couldn’t make it through a season 6+ years ago, you think he’s going to now?

Shame because I imagine it was a part in KO (prematurely) receiving the job.

I wonder if JC really thought KO was ready to take over his baby at the time of his retirement. The fact that his hand-picked successor has turned out like this...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
shaq

I would've gone with this but that's a good one too

shaq-laughing-press-conference-shaq-gifs.gif

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You don't blow up the roster after last season unless you think your job is secure for a couple of years, which Ollie is with his buyout.

UConn has 2 players on the roster that played together for a grand total of one year. Has that ever happened to any decent team? I'm as pissed as anyone about the performance today, but we are a collection of players that have never played together and we have lost our best PG. We lost 4 top 100 recruits and replaced them with grad transfers and jucos. It was pretty clear it was going to be a difficult start to the season given the schedule.

You think Ollie pushed out Vance, Juwan, Stephen and lost MAL by choice to be replaced by this roster :rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
Calhoun isn't coming back so get used to it. He is happy with the St. Joe's situation where he doesn't have go on the road and recruit players with exaggerated feelings of entitlement. At this stage of his life he only wants to put 3 toes in. Come to think of it 10 toes in hasn't worked so well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We have 2 Hall of Fame coaches. Neither is likely to take the position but both should be asked. There are not better coaches anywhere.

Reaction Score
This isn't the way either. Love the guy to death, and his health and happiness are more important to me than a basketball program. If the search is on, the break should be clean.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown didn't have a problem with recruiting at SMU, he got good players despite his age. You don't tell a recruit that I'm only coaching you for 2 years, just like Calhoun wouldn't. You tell them you have an opportunity to be coached by a Hall of Fame coach at one of the great basketball programs in the country.

PS: If Calhoun is adamant about not returning, then you look to Pitino. Say what you want about Slick Rick, he can recruit at an elite level, coach at an elite level, and bring UCONN back to prominence rapidly. Pitino will NOT be convicted of anything you can rest assured about that. Being like Ollie and Diaco and being lauded at supposedly running an upstanding programs means nothing when you're not winning and has cost UCONN dearly since realignment. Every great coach or program is accused of being dirty or cheating. Our concern needs to be rising from the ashes.

PS: Lastly, fellow yarders lets step of the moral high horse here regarding basketball ethics. We play to win the game. Pitino say what you want about him is not a joke like our current coach.
Correct. Not only that why don’t we talk about ethics? Does anyone think North Carolina is hanging their heads becaused they scammed and cheated and didn’t get punished? Has one announcer even mentioned it this year? And we’re worried about what people will think of us with Slick Rick.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calhoun as a planned interim coach could work. Instant credibility and improved recruiting. Then you can take your time with the selection process. I'dlove inerim from now through next season or two.

Reaction Score
Correct. Not only that why don’t we talk about ethics? Does anyone think North Carolina is hanging their heads becaused they scammed and cheated and didn’t get punished? Has one announcer even mentioned it this year? And we’re worried about what people will think of us with Slick Rick.

No doubt. Geno Auriemma endorsed Rick Pitino and he's about the only coach right now who AD Benedict should be taking advice from.
Now obviously Jim Calhoun is my first pick, but if he refuses Rick Pitino is a no-brainer. He has not been directly tied to anything and he will not be convicted of anything.

We're not looking for a saint to run our program we're looking for a tough SOB who knows how to get it done. Obviously we would need to talk to university lawyers and the NCAA to make sure its possible, but if it is then its a no-brainer

Auriemma would hire Pitino despite firing

Reaction Score
I don't know if it is possible, but what if Calhoun could come back in an advisory capacity with the explicit "order" given to Ollie that you listen and learn. Old Jim is just that, old. I doubt he has the physical stamina to actually take over the job on a day to day basis. I might add the chances are pretty slim for this happening. Ollie is like an apprentice that got promoted to master way way before he was ready for it.

Reaction Score
You think Ollie pushed out Vance, Juwan, Stephen and lost MAL by choice to be replaced by this roster :rolleyes:.
I think all three just wanted to get the hell out of Dodge faster than you can say Amida Brimah. They were right in the middle of a program falling apart. It was easy for them and their parents to make the choice to get out quick. All the while we were being fed by Ollie's bozo cheerleading squad on the BY that we had the top 3 recruiting class in the nation. Even now they are saying we will win this..."mark it down", "I'll sign on to that", "I have a gut feeling we win this game". Lol

Reaction Score
For the people talking about Rick Pitino becoming the next head coach of the UConn basketball team...are you serious??? There is zero chance Calhoun is coming back to coach this team, and even less of a chance that Pitino is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom