Only in CT Part I: press loves coach fans hate | The Boneyard

Only in CT Part I: press loves coach fans hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
at the end of the Ch. 30 sportscast Saturday night the dude who does the weekends said "there's a lot of support" for Pasqualoni.
Yes, in this bizarro world we live in that is accurate. There is plenty of support in the CT media for PP - starting with the main Ch. 30 sports guy and probably the overwhelming majority of the horde.
Meanwhile, most of us who actually pay for the pleasure of attending the games want P gone.
I want media like the guy who asked Richt the question that got him pissed off after the Georgia game. He prefaced his question with "I'm hearing from fans that" and did the job his readers/listeners/viewers want him to do - ask why he and his QB seem to choke in big games. Tough question. Richt didn't react well but eventually sort of asked it.
It sure seemed like no one in the CT media has the balls to ask a similar question , like: "Coach the Wildcat wasn't as effective as you might have hoped. Why did you go to it so much today and what happened in the two situations when time out was called when the QBs were being switched?"

Reaction Score
at the end of the Ch. 30 sportscast Saturday night the dude who does the weekends said "there's a lot of support" for Pasqualoni.
Yes, in this bizarro world we live in that is accurate. There is plenty of support in the CT media for PP - starting with the main Ch. 30 sports guy and probably the overwhelming majority of the horde.
Meanwhile, most of us who actually pay for the pleasure of attending the games want P gone.
I want media like the guy who asked Richt the question that got him pissed off after the Georgia game. He prefaced his question with "I'm hearing from fans that" and did the job his readers/listeners/viewers want him to do - ask why he and his QB seem to choke in big games. Tough question. Richt didn't react well but eventually sort of asked it.
It sure seemed like no one in the CT media has the balls to ask a similar question , like: "Coach the Wildcat wasn't as effective as you might have hoped. Why did you go to it so much today and what happened in the two situations when time out was called when the QBs were being switched?"

The question should have pissed Richt off because it was so unbelievably dumb that you want non-idiot media to filter the fans. Anyone who think that game had anything to do with chocking -- as opposed to two outstanding teams playing an outstanding game and only one team being able to win by the rules -- knows nothing of sports and life.

Reaction Score
Biz, not judging the intelligence of the question, just commenting on the stones of the guy who asked it. He is representing the Georgia fan base. Like it or not that was what they were asking - can you imagine what their post-game radio show was like?
Haven't gone back to look but imagine the question of Ga.'s poor time management at the end was asked. Good chance that question may never have been asked up here.

Reaction Score
Biz, not judging the intelligence of the question, just commenting on the stones of the guy who asked it. He is representing the Georgia fan base. Like it or not that was what they were asking - can you imagine what their post-game radio show was like?
Haven't gone back to look but imagine the question of Ga.'s poor time management at the end was asked. Good chance that question may never have been asked up here.

You are entitled to a different opinion than me, but I expect more from journalists than to repeat stupid questions just because stupid fans are asking it.

Reaction Score
The problem is you have to be tactful and leading. To break out a question like that is going to do nothin more than end a press conference early and piss off other journalist.

Reaction Score
You are entitled to a different opinion than me, but I expect more from journalists than to repeat stupid questions just because stupid fans are asking it.

The only stupid is what we are seeing from UConn coaching staff. And . . . who are we (Connecticut) to be taking shots at Georgia (SEC, Divisional Champs, Bow Bound, and 5-7 don't cut it)? Connecticut needs to start watching what other programs and states are doing and then modeling it ourselves.

Reaction Score
The only stupid is what we are seeing from UConn coaching staff. And . . . who are we (Connecticut) to be taking shots at Georgia (SEC, Divisional Champs, Bow Bound, and 5-7 don't cut it)? Connecticut needs to start watching what other programs and states are doing and then modeling it ourselves.

It would make conversation much easier if you actually read the threads you were responding to instead of just lashing out.

Reaction Score
Coaches should have salaries that are on a sliding scale proportionate to the amount of wins they have.
Media/journalists should have salries that are on a sliding scale proportionate to the amount of newspapers/views they get.

If Dez piss's you off, you want to see what he will write next. I personally cant stand his writing. I think he is actually really bad at it. Never captivates the reader. But, I really want to know what boneheaded thing he is going to say next. Durrr de durrrr. He is a hack at best, but it sells unfortuately.

Reaction Score
Biz . . . "You are entitled to a different opinion than me". Thought the original poster here - Ruskin - was doing a fine job. You want to be critical of his observation. I think he was onto something.

Reaction Score
Biz . . . "You are entitled to a different opinion than me". Thought the original poster here - Ruskin - was doing a fine job. You want to be critical of his observation. I think he was onto something.

That's fine. But you responded by saying how much the staff sucked, not that you thought Ruskin's view of the media is right and mine is wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As difficult as it is to grasp any glimmer of hope, I have found a (very convoluted) way to do so here (it's either this or break out Capone from the Untouchables again).

This is beginning to resemble the way things were ~ 1984 with Dom Perno running our men's hoops program. Too many (especially journalists) could only see Perno as the local hero who stole the ball from Bill Bradley in the NCAA tournament, sealing an upset win for us over heavily favored Princeton. It did take a few years (and according to urban legend, Toner's request of JC that his Northeastern squad show no mercy to UConn when they played in the fall of 1985. I happen to believe that this was true even with Toner claiming it was not), but we were not only able to upgrade our head coach, we were able to land someone who would spend a quarter century here bringing us to heights that if we dreamed of in the mid 1980's we would have been viewed as crazier than HFD is today.

My one hope is that this is merely history repeating and instead of canning this guy now for a decent upgrade, the fates will repay our additional couple of years suffering with another legend who will spend a quarter century here, accomplishing more than any of us can (reasonably) dream of today.

Hope is really the only thing I have left (and a baseball bat).

Reaction Score
[quote="FfldCntyFan, post: 423421, member: 71"

Hope is really the only thing I have left (and a baseball bat).[/quote]

I think you'd be luckier with the bat.

Reaction Score
I'm no fan of PP and would like a younger more creative guy. He'd get a nice termination payment and could then do what he wanted, retire fully, work part time or full time at something. The fact that I think the game may have passed him by a bit doesn't mean I get to be rude and obnoxious or that I have a right to do so because "I represent the fans." Confrontation breeds itself and I can assure you one gets more information with a little sugar and well thought out inquiries than being a twit. Got a problem? I would suggest you write AD Manuel a nice letter or E-mail and express your thoughts coherently and briefly. If you're just pissed, fine, but learn to control it a bit else you waste your time and energy.

Reaction Score
In the end, it's all just entertainment.

Apart from that view, lots of people take entertainment way too seriously and emotions boil over if things don't go their way. I went to 5 games this season and enjoyed them all, even though we only won two of the games I went to. Maybe the sportscaster meant there is support for PP amongst the administration and/or high school coaches. Have to have a full understanding of the context of what was said. I have nothing personal against PP but I definitely would agree his self-interests doesn't help the University of Connecticut if winning games is the goal (GDL as OC?)

SEC fans are almost completely nuts. Exhibit A: the man who poisoned those trees at Auburn after Alabama lost to Auburn. And it's not just the SEC. I am sure fans cry or beat spouses or who knows what in other conferences/professional leagues/sports as well. There's a soccer stadium in the Netherlands that records every fan that enters the stadium in case something happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyocera_Stadion

I even think it's pretty crazy that athletics are viewed as the front porch of a university now. Interestingly, that only applies to FBS/Division 1 schools. Oh well, c'est la vie.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Couldn't get through Dez's article on fixing the talent problem. Too ridiculous to finish.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
[quote="FfldCntyFan, post: 423421, member: 71"

Hope is really the only thing I have left (and a baseball bat).

I think you'd be luckier with the bat.[/quote]
The bat may have an ultimate purpose; to show GDL about teamwork.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It did take a few years (and according to urban legend, Toner's request of JC that his Northeastern squad show no mercy to UConn when they played in the fall of 1985.

Earl Kelley with a knife had more to do with Perno getting canned than John Toner did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom