Only if Mo Bamba picked Uconn... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Only if Mo Bamba picked Uconn...

Reaction Score
Giffey and Daniels were scrubs under Calhoun -- Giffey offered nothing besides the Maui outburst, and Daniels barely saw the floor.

Shabazz was crucified by this board during JC's final year.

Their "development" did not occur between 2010 and 2012.
I could be wrong, but wasn’t Daniels a 5/4 star player also recruited by Kentucky ? I wouldn’t call him a scrub

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but wasn’t Daniels a 5/4 star player also recruited by Kentucky ? I wouldn’t call him a scrub

I was referring to his performance during '11-12. That was a bit harsh on my part. However, looking back at it, averaging ~3 PPG and ~2 RPG alongside 12.6 minutes and completely falling out of the rotation by the end of the season (his last made field goal was against Nova on 2/20) really isn't that impressive for anyone -- much less a player who came in with his pedigree.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In an alternate timeline we take Bonzie Colson & Bruce Brown's commits, land Bamba and keep MAL.

And guess what? We'd still underachieve.

The players aren't the problem.

They're a piece of the problem though. The dearth of them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Still coached by Calhoun bro, still. No matter how you spin it they were still coached by Calhoun. Learning from other stars who were coached by Calhoun.

So basically, by this logic, JC should just show up to a couple practices a year and the guys magically turn into world beaters by senior year. We could pay JC something like $25,000 per year and roll out anybody to coach them. Sign me up.

Reaction Score
So basically, by this logic, JC should just show up to a couple practices a year and the guys magically turn into world beaters by senior year. We could pay JC something like $25,000 per year and roll out anybody to coach them. Sign me up.

Calhoun coached all those players more than just a couple of practices. He had them for a couple of years, which means Calhoun coached them up, his influence and coaching ability stuck with the players. The players are not going to forget how they were coached by Calhoun just because he left.

Plus, Calhoun stuck around a few years after he retired, so you don’t know if he was still involved with those players in some way.

Since Calhoun’s players left we’ve been sucking more and more each year, and yet he was able to turn Calhoun’s players into stars? That doesn’t make sense. That was not his doing. I haven’t seen anything that proves Ollie can coach up kids into super stars or stars without Calhoun’s influence.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They're a piece of the problem though. The dearth of them.
For sure. Because I hate myself here's a list of New Englanders playing at a high level we missed on in the last 6 recruiting classes:

2012: Nerlens Noel, Kris Dunn, Ricky Ledo, Jake Layman, Georges Niang, Zach Auguste
2013: Noah Vonleh, Wayne Selden, Matt Mobley
2014: Abdul Malik-Abu, Kaleb Joseph, Paschal Chukwu, Jared Terrell, Bonzie Colson, Makai Mason, Cane Broome
2015: Donovan Mitchell, Aaron Falzon, Terance Mann, A.J. Turner (note: We got Jalen & Enoch out of this class)
2016: Wenyen Gabriel, Mustapha Heron, Bruce Brown, Tyrique Jones, A.J. Brodeur
2017: Tremont Waters, Makai Ashton-Langford, Jermaine Samuels, Kimani Lawrence, Wabissa Bede, Kellan Grady

just fn kill me

EDIT: And I'll just add that there were 5 4-star players from New England in the class of 2018. We got none of them.

How much are you willing to bet we go 0-for-2019, too?

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For sure. Because I hate myself here's a list of New Englanders playing at a high level we missed on in the last 6 recruiting classes:

2012: Nerlens Noel, Kris Dunn, Ricky Ledo, Jake Layman, Georges Niang, Zach Auguste
2013: Noah Vonleh, Wayne Selden, Matt Mobley
2014: Abdul Malik-Abu, Kaleb Joseph, Paschal Chukwu, Jared Terrell, Bonzie Colson, Makai Mason, Cane Broome
2015: Donovan Mitchell, Aaron Falzon, Terance Mann, A.J. Turner (note: We got Jalen & Enoch out of this class)
2016: Wenyen Gabriel, Mustapha Heron, Bruce Brown, Tyrique Jones, A.J. Brodeur
2017: Tremont Waters, Makai Ashton-Langford, Jermaine Samuels, Kimani Lawrence, Wabissa Bede, Kellan Grady

just fn kill me

EDIT: And I'll just add that there were 5 4-star players from New England in the class of 2018. We got none of them.

How much are you willing to bet we go 0-for-2019, too?

That's truly depressing. A lot of those kids didn't end up anywhere amazing either. Look, if a kid goes to UK, fine, I get it. But come on.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
That's truly depressing. A lot of those kids didn't end up anywhere amazing either. Look, if a kid goes to UK, fine, I get it. But come on.
Yup. You could toss out the 2012 & 13 classes (I don't blame KO for missing on those), then lop off the top recruit from each year (hey, we can't compete with the likes of NC State & LSU) and still have this team:

PG: Jalen, Mason, MAL
SG: Brown, Terrell, Grady
SF: Mann, Samuels
PF: Colson, Jones, Brodeur
C: Chukwu, Enoch

That's easily a top 10 team based on raw talent, and not a single recruiting trip south of Norwalk would've been necessary.

Depressing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yup. You could toss out the 2012 & 13 classes (I don't blame KO for missing on those), then lop off the top recruit from each year (hey, we can't compete with the likes of NC State & LSU) and still have this team:

PG: Jalen, Mason, MAL
SG: Brown, Terrell, Grady
SF: Mann, Samuels
PF: Colson, Jones, Brodeur
C: Chukwu, Enoch

That's easily a top 10 team based on raw talent, and not a single recruiting trip south of Norwalk would've been necessary.

Depressing.

Don't even want to like this post.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Don't even want to like this post.
Also, I forgot that Jarred Wilson-Frame (Hartford) and Terrell Brown (Providence) are both rotation players for Pitt.

There's been so much talent in New England this decade. We've gotten so little of it, and the ones we did get we straight-up failed to develop.

#OllieOut

Reaction Score

We've missed out on bunch of NE players that played a high level at other schools before Ollie took over.

In fact, most of our big time players aren't from NE from Ray all the way to Kemba. Bazz was an exception and he came here late after reclassifying.

Reaction Score
We've missed out on bunch of NE players that played a high level at other schools before Ollie took over.

In fact, most of our big time players aren't from NE from Ray all the way to Kemba. Bazz was an exception and he came here late after reclassifying.
I know NY isn’t NE but it isn’t NE either......lol. NY is an honorary NE member

Matrim55

Reaction Score

This is correct – from the early 90s til the late 2000s, we didn't get much at all from New England (Adrien, Freeman & Edmund being the ones that stand out most). In part this was because Calhoun started recruiting so well nationally and in NYC in particular, but a larger part is that New England talent as a whole was down bigly during that timespan.

As soon as the New England talent level picked back up a decade ago, Calhoun landed Oriakhi (top 20 player), Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (top 50), Bazz (top 100) and Andre (top 5).

And New England's been cooking ever since. Ollie's inability to take advantage of that isn't the cause of our current situation, but damn does it not help at all.

Reaction Score
Calhoun barely spent any time with half of the guys you mentioned.

The fact that you're referring to them as "Calhoun's players" is so dumb it makes me bash my head into the wall. The 1-2 years had negligible impact on all four, and it showed in their on-court performance or inability to

"90%" of people here disagree with me because they have no idea what they're talking about.
I agree with you and I'm not sure I have any idea what I am talking about!

Reaction Score
I believe he was the #10 player in his class.

I'm not taking a side here, but I am surprised by the people saying that DD, Boat, Bazz, and Giffey showed no talent under Calhoun. I thought every one of them showed enough talent early on to eventually be very good. I also believe Calhoun instilled a work ethic in those players that we have not seen since.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I believe he was the #10 player in his class.

I'm not taking a side here, but I am surprised by the people saying that DD, Boat, Bazz, and Giffey showed no talent under Calhoun. I thought every one of them showed enough talent early on to eventually be very good. I also believe Calhoun instilled a work ethic in those players that we have not seen since.

They showed talent. It was not developed while he was running practices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom