Only if Mo Bamba picked Uconn... | The Boneyard

Only if Mo Bamba picked Uconn...

Reaction Score
What a sight & perfect fit that would’ve been, especially if Gilbert stayed healthy.

That’s a lot of “If’s” part of the reason I am not surprised by the year so far, pretty obvious that this roster didn’t have much talent and had all new players for the most part.

Again, please develop Carlton & Diarra & we really need a top 50 recruit 2018 big man. You can’t win today with no bigs who can’t shoot or even just score more than 2.9 ppg.

Reactions: pj

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
In an alternate timeline we take Bonzie Colson & Bruce Brown's commits, land Bamba and keep MAL.

And guess what? We'd still underachieve.

The players aren't the problem.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
In an alternate timeline we take Bonzie Colson & Bruce Brown's commits, land Bamba and keep MAL.

Last year at this time I thought the players were the problem. I can't pinpoint exactly when my opinion changed, but I think it was during the overtime period in the Columbia game.

Ollie does not develop players. Players just don't get any better under his tutelage. I don't know if it's because what he's teaching is not a winning formula or he's not a good communicator or what but there's clearly a problem with stagnating talent and unmet potential. There are too many players that are examples in just the last three years. Not to mention specific comments from the players after they leave (Hamilton, Durham, Facey, Enoch, others...) Too much smoke about him just being a poor teacher and poor strategist.

He should be allowed to finish the season of course, butif i were the AD I'd be sending out feelers everywhere in preparation for an offseason replacement. Someone with a rep for player development.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Last year at this time I thought the players were the problem. I can't pinpoint exactly when my opinion changed, but I think it was during the overtime period in the Columbia game.
For me the final straw was the Stony Brook game and the following 72 hours.

Reaction Score
Again, please develop Carlton & Diarra.

That’s the issue here. Ollie has no track record of developing players.

It’s hilarious how a tiny crowd on the boneyard can think Ollie developed Shabazz into a super star, and developed Boat, Giffey, and Daniels into the players the were in 2014. That was Calhoun’s doing, with a little of Shabazz’s leadership. I have not seen Ollie develope ANY of HIS players yet. The guy has been here for 6 years. His most successful years, were his first two years and in those two years Calhoun had players on those rosters, his worst years were the other four years and they were all his players. Think about that.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
It’s hilarious how a tiny crowd on the boneyard can think Ollie developed Shabazz into a super star, and developed Boat, Giffey, and Daniels into the players the were in 2014. That was Calhoun’s doing, with a little of Shabazz’s leadership.
Enough with this nonsense. KO was phenomenal those first two seasons and your constant need to diminish that is childish as hell.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
The truth hurts bro. He was phenomenal his first two years with Calhoun’s players and what since? With his players. Facts are facts don’t cry. Man up.

Reaction Score
The truth hurts bro. He was phenomenal his first two years with Calhoun’s players and what since? With his players. Facts are facts don’t cry. Man up.

You understand that, between the suspension, the NCAA clearinghouse, and the back surgery that Calhoun coached Boatright for about three games, right? You also understand that Shabazz was the poster child for our underachieving in Calhoun's final year, that Daniels barely got off the bench as a freshman, and that Giffey was thought of as nothing more than a spare part?

If you want to make the argument that Ollie lucked into the opportunity to coach players that Calhoun spotted, then fine. But to say that players have not developed under him is literally not true. I don't quite understand what people are missing here. You're arguing against facts.

Reaction Score
You understand that, between the suspension, the NCAA clearinghouse, and the back surgery that Calhoun coached Boatright for about three games, right? You also understand that Shabazz was the poster child for our underachieving in Calhoun's final year, that Daniels barely got off the bench as a freshman, and that Giffey was thought of as nothing more than a spare part?

If you want to make the argument that Ollie lucked into the opportunity to coach players that Calhoun spotted, then fine. But to say that players have not developed under him is literally not true. I don't quite understand what people are missing here. You're arguing against facts.

You’re arguing against facts. Calhoun recruited those players and they jelled at the right time. Ollie has NO leaders on his roster and hasn’t had one since Calhoun’s players left. Why? Cause he can’t coach. We’ve been seeing it for the past four years!!!!! Developement is a huge part of coaching. Calhoun coached those guys up and they flourished at the perfect time for Ollie and that’s a fact. Cry all you want a give him credit all you want, but Ollie has been showing you his coaching skills the past 4 years and I am not impressed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That’s the issue here. Ollie has no track record of developing players.

It’s hilarious how a tiny crowd on the boneyard can think Ollie developed Shabazz into a super star, and developed Boat, Giffey, and Daniels into the players the were in 2014. That was Calhoun’s doing, with a little of Shabazz’s leadership. I have not seen Ollie develope ANY of HIS players yet. The guy has been here for 6 years. His most successful years, were his first two years and in those two years Calhoun had players on those rosters, his worst years were the other four years and they were all his players. Think about that.

Giffey and Daniels were scrubs under Calhoun -- Giffey offered nothing besides the Maui outburst, and Daniels barely saw the floor.

Shabazz was crucified by this board during JC's final year.

Their "development" did not occur between 2010 and 2012.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You don’t get it.

What highly touted frontcourt player would want to play for Ollie?

Also on that note, what highly touted backcourt would want to play for Ollie and rot in his system?

Reaction Score

I mean, maybe, but what would that underachievement look like? A top ten team? Because, as far as I can tell, for all of the weaknesses that Ollie has as a coach, our problem is still the fact that we don't land kids who can play right away. That doesn't mean they're superstars day one, but Colson at Notre Dame was good right away. Waters at LSU was good right away. The kid from Auburn was good right away. I don't think that's because of anything their respective coaches did, I think they just knew how to take coaching, knew how to play basketball, and were self-driven to do it. Boatright, Shabazz, Giffey, etc. were all that way. Most of the guys that play in the NBA are that way. At a certain point, the players are the problem because they're the ones playing. Granted that ultimately falls on the coach, but I don't get the sense from watching us that KO couldn't take over a team like, say, Arizona and figure out how to win a lot of games. Maybe he isn't great at spotting them or developing them, but once he has them he seems to know what to do.

The roster right now, without Gilbert, is really thin. I'm not breaking news there and they should still be a lot better than they are, but right now we have about three or four guys on the roster who look like they can contribute at this level. Polley, Whaley, Carlton, and Diarra are just so raw. Jalen should be better, sure, but it isn't like we'd be in bad shape if he were our third best player. Larrier is about where I thought he'd be at this point given the injury.

If I were the coach of this team, I don't know what I'd run on offense to get baskets. We're hard capped. I actually think going under .500 last season was far more egregious and indicative of some of his real flaws as an x's and o's guy. Put Purvis, D-Ham, Facey, and Brimah back on this team and I think you'd see his flaws much more so than you are now. The '16 team could have done some real damage and did not, last years team even with the injuries could have been good, and this years team if all the seniors had returned with Gilbert + Jalen + Larrier would have been a terror under the right coach. Not sure he's that guy.

Reaction Score
Giffey and Daniels were scrubs under Calhoun -- Giffey offered nothing besides the Maui outburst, and Daniels barely saw the floor.

Shabazz was crucified by this board during JC's final year.

Their "development" did not occur between 2010 and 2012.

But they were coached between 2010 and 2012 by Calhoun. Between 2010 and 2012 shabazz was learning behind Kemba, Giffey behind Lamb... they were all young! Just because they didn’t flourish until there junior and senior years does not mean Calhoun didn’t play a major role in coaching them up. They were young with growing pains, as with most young players. They all flourished at the perfect time. I’m done

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
But they were coached between 2010 and 2012 by Calhoun. Between 2010 and 2012 shabazz was learning behind Kemba, Giffey behind Lamb... they were all young! Just because they didn’t flourish until there junior and senior years does not mean Calhoun played a major role in coaching them up. They were young with growing pains, as with most young players. They all flourished at the perfect time. I’m done

Calhoun's coaching didn't result in any material gains while he was directing their development and running their practices. He was only doing player development work for 1/3 of DD's seasons, and 1/4 of Boat's.

Essentially, you're wrong, and you can't handle that you're wrong.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's coaching didn't result in any material gains while he was directing their development and running their practices. He was only doing player development work for 1/3 of DD's seasons, and 1/4 of Boat's.

Essentially, you're wrong, and you can't handle that you're wrong.

Still coached by Calhoun bro, still. No matter how you spin it they were still coached by Calhoun. Learning from other stars who were coached by Calhoun.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Still coached by Calhoun bro, still. No matter how you spin it they were still coached by Calhoun. Learning from other stars who were coached by Calhoun.

I hear Calhoun telepathically coached them up from the stands between 2012-14.

Reaction Score
I hear Calhoun telepathically coached them up from the stands between 2012-14.

From the stands? Telepathically? Lmao. Wow no wonder 90% boneyarders disagree with you. You sound ridiculous. Calhoun coached all of those players bro. What has Ollie shown you that he can coach up players since Calhoun’s players left? Answer the question.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
From the stands? Telepathically? Lmao. Wow no wonder 90% boneyarders disagree with you. You sound ridiculous. Calhoun coached all of those players bro. What has Ollie shown you that he can coach up players since Calhoun’s players left? Answer the question.

Calhoun barely spent any time with half of the guys you mentioned.

The fact that you're referring to them as "Calhoun's players" is so dumb it makes me bash my head into the wall. The 1-2 years had negligible impact on all four, and it showed in their on-court performance or inability to

"90%" of people here disagree with me because they have no idea what they're talking about.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
What a sight & perfect fit that would’ve been, especially if Gilbert stayed healthy.

That’s a lot of “If’s” part of the reason I am not surprised by the year so far, pretty obvious that this roster didn’t have much talent and had all new players for the most part.

Again, please develop Carlton & Diarra & we really need a top 50 recruit 2018 big man. You can’t win today with no bigs who can’t shoot or even just score more than 2.9 ppg.
And if my aunt had }@!!$ she'd be my uncle. BTW, I think the 6" 2" and under, three guard lineup is fine.

Reaction Score
Calhoun barely spent any time with half of the guys you mentioned.

The fact that you're referring to them as "Calhoun's players" is so dumb it makes me bash my head into the wall. The 1-2 years had negligible impact on all four, and it showed in their on-court performance or inability to

"90%" of people here disagree with me because they have no idea what they're talking about.

They were ALL coached by Calhoun bro! What don’t you get? Whether it was 1, 2, or 3 Years, they were recruited and coached by CALHOUN. They jelled at the perfect time, and shabazz, who was coached by Calhoun for two years flourished at the perfect time. You see none of Calhoun’s players traits in any of Ollie’s players and he’s had A LOT come by this program since he’s been here and NOT ONE developed to anything near, SHABAZZ, BOAT, DANIELS, GIFFEY, etc, etc, etc... those players ALL have one thing in common, they were all coached by CALHOUN. Spin it how you want to spin it, but you’re wrong. Shabazz took Ollie for a ride. Look at how shabazz took command of the team, not Ollie cause he still can’t command his team four years later. Shabazz picked up a lot of that learning from Calhoun and Kemba. Those are facts!!!!

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
They were ALL coached by Calhoun bro! What don’t you get? Whether it was 1, 2, or 3 Years, they were recruited and coached by CALHOUN. They jelled at the perfect time, and shabazz, who was coached by Calhoun for two years flourished at the perfect time. You see none of Calhoun’s players traits in any of Ollie’s players and he’s had A LOT come by this program since he’s been here and NOT ONE developed to anything near, SHABAZZ, BOAT, DANIELS, GIFFEY, etc, etc, etc... those players ALL have one thing in common, they were all coached by CALHOUN. Spin it how you want to spin it, but you’re wrong. Shabazz took Ollie for a ride. Look at how shabazz took command of the team, not Ollie cause he still can’t command his team four years later. Shabazz picked a lot of that learning from Calhoun and Kemba. Those are facts!!!!

When you use CAPS and exclamations points!!!!! it really adds a lot to your argument.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom