Only a BIG with UConn & soon Md can challenge the Pac12 in: | The Boneyard

Only a BIG with UConn & soon Md can challenge the Pac12 in:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NCAA team titles in a a given school year.

The BIG generally averages 5-7 NCAA titles a calendar year (8 titles in 2012-2013). As a conference, sometimes second best, but never first which is nearly always the Pac12.

This school year:

Pac12 = 9

M’s. Cross County, W’s. Soccer, M & W’s Tennis, M. Swimming, M & W’s Water Polo, M & W’s Indoor Track (Pac12 swept 3 sports)

** ACC = 5

W’s. Lax, M’s. Lax, Football, M’s. Soccer, W’s. Golf (It was in fact an ACC team that finally broke the SEC BCS streak)

** BIG = 5

W’s. Volleyball, M’s. Gymnastics, Wrestling, W’s Rowing, & Combined Fencing (BIG had at least 5 runners up – 3 by Minnesota alone & 2 in sports where a BIG team won the NC anyways: Wrestling, W. Volleyball)

** SEC = 4

M’s. Golf, W’s. Gymnastics, W’s. Swimming, & Softball (SEC will likely reach 5 through Track and Field)

** Big 12 = 2

W. Gymnastics (OU & Fl were co-NCs) & Rifle. I believe a Big12 team will win the baseball NC.

So if UConn was in the BIG this year, Md as well, then they would be tied with the Pac12.

Md and hopefully UConn - someday - bring prestige in many sports. Md is rather formidable in M's Soccer, Field Hockey, M's & W's Lax & they are on the cusp of basketball greatness. Like UConn, Md has pulled off a NC in both sexes since 2002.

UConn brings the pain in M's & W's Basketball, the best in the nation over the past 20 years. Clearly you have prestige in F. Hockey and M's Soccer as well. Your W's soccer team has been close to winning it all.

As a BIG fan, I do track the Director's Cup & for years the BIG has usually placed the most teams in the top 50 & top 25, but a member has never won it. The top 10 is usually the Pac12's strength.

I hope these decision makers care about all Olympic sports as a UConn addition clearly gives the BIG a great chance of overtaking the Pac12 in the NCAA team titles count in a given year.

Reaction Score
While I agree with most of what you wrote, you know that next to zero consideration will be given to any sport not named football. The B1G is the one conference that above all others is run like a for profit business. If it doesn't swell the bottom line, it won't get too much consideration. The B1G having more than 3-4 of its current members pitching in to the total every year would go a long way as well.

Reaction Score
Clearly football drives the bus in every measurable metric. But this is also about tv networks and branding. These conferences will need content and winning teams in highly populated areas. UConn.... check, check.

The UConn women, although not a huge revenue producer relative to football, does matter and for whichever university who plays them that night women's basketball becomes relevant to them. I guarantee you that more fans in the Big10 will watch their women's hoops team play when its vs. UConn. To a lesser extent, the same would apply to men's soccer. With UConn being so competitive in so many different sports, it will help any league bring a huge name brand with quality year round content.

Reaction Score
I start most mornings off with a black coffee, but every once in a great while I like a little cream just for a change of pace........this thread is just about random thoughts that come into your head.....right?

Reaction Score
Dang...as a southern football guy, I was surprised to find that the ACC was a lacrosse and hockey power....and that Boston College won the hockey NC in 2013....

I hear that BC may join the ACC.

Reaction Score
I start most mornings off with a black coffee, but every once in a great while I like a little cream just for a change of pace...this thread is just about random thoughts that come into your head.....right?
I like turtles

Reaction Score
Dang...as a southern football guy, I was surprised to find that the ACC was a lacrosse and hockey power....and that Boston College won the hockey NC in 2013....

I hear that BC may join the ACC.

I can't tell if you're joking here.

There is no ACC hockey conference, and there never will be - BC & ND is not enough - Hockey East, just in case you didn't know.

As for Lax, man the ACC has been a powerhouse for a long time. In terms of dominance, it's their best sport next to W. Soccer & F. Hockey. Notice I didn't say M's Hoops - clearly other teams & conferences keep plenty of pace with the ACC.

Reaction Score
While I agree with most of what you wrote, you know that next to zero consideration will be given to any sport not named football. The B1G is the one conference that above all others is run like a for profit business. If it doesn't swell the bottom line, it won't get too much consideration. The B1G having more than 3-4 of its current members pitching in to the total every year would go a long way as well.

I use to totally agree with you, but I think overall ADept depth has more strength than stated.

Reaction Score
I use to totally agree with you, but I think overall ADept depth has more strength than stated.

Just curious do you feel that overall depth of an AD has bearing on getting an invite, or that there are more than a few teams that have strong AD's?

Reaction Score
I can't tell if you're joking here.

There is no ACC hockey conference, and there never will be - BC & ND is not enough - Hockey East, just in case you didn't know.

As for Lax, man the ACC has been a powerhouse for a long time. In terms of dominance, it's their best sport next to W. Soccer & F. Hockey. Notice I didn't say M's Hoops - clearly other teams & conferences keep plenty of pace with the ACC.

Joking....We joke about hockey, lacrosse and, especially, BC down here.....

Reaction Score
Pac12 = 9

ACC = 5

BIG = 5

SEC = 4

UConn = 3

Big 12 = 2

Tell me about this 'P5' I keep hearing everyone talk about...

I count at least 3 deserved NCs by UConn & maybe Lville wins the baseball NC. Fine by me. Just because I'm a BIG fan, doesn't mean I don't root for the underdog.

I actually see incredible upside with the AAC because of the Tx, Fl and La schools. Those are 3 of the 5 best high school football states. At least I think. Tulane and Navy also have plenty of prestige in the academic department.

But that doesn't stop my wish for UConn in the BIG. The cultural compatibility and travel is a plus for UConn in the BIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom