Only 25 point win: Here’s why | The Boneyard

Only 25 point win: Here’s why

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Quinnipiac deciding to hold the ball for 28 seconds before shooting had more to do with it.

It is funny. Q coach said she watched the demolition of St. Francis and did an about face on trying to run UConn! Sure, they did a Villanova/UCF and made it a grind. I'll take a 25 point margin on that kind of game and feel good about it.

Reaction Score
Wait, wait. A steal is a turnover. So isn't that a 6 possession difference? But does put a number to Q defense on a point of emphasis for our team. Looked to me that their bench well outplayed ours. Ouch! So yes, props to Q!

Reaction Score
Q had 7 steals and only 7 turnovers. We had only 3 steals and 13 turnovers. That’s a 10 possession difference. Can’t remember when we were ever crushed like this in the steals/turnover ratio. Props to Q.

Actually that is a 6 possession difference. Steals are already incorporated into the turnover stat.

Reaction Score
According to Trish, they are a team that take cares of the basketball and doesn't have many turnovers, she mentioned their Turnover ratio in the press conference following the game. Q could do some damage going forward in the years to come. It's unfortunate their season had to come to a close so soon.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason was at there were a few periods when we couldn't put the ball in the ocean. Of course Q's style of play had a huge part in it. They didn't turn over the ball hardly at all which is damn impressive and stops our breakaways and momentum.
Our bench looked like much earlier in the season and were completed disjointed and outplayed.
A small part of this was MW's very poor game, when so many of you annointed her AA or the next best thing to sliced bread off of last game against a #16 seed who played wide open ball. She seems to lose her composure against better players.
She started the fourth quarter so at least a few minutes were with most of our top six and she did nada.
As I've said quite a few times here, she very likely won't be a significant contributor this year and while hopefully she gets it and the light goes on, it's not guaranteed. I'm not convinced she will be more than a good contributor but never a major player on the team or in women's college basketball. I hope I'm wrong, but her strengths may not transfer well to the college game with better, stronger, faster players.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I dont know how you can say MW is a average player,she has 6 all american in front of her,dah,she didnt do anything to hurt team until kayla and the rest came in,she missed a layup but are starters did that ,so tone down the negitive on MW

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am pretty amazed that there are three comments on my "negative" post and two of them state she did ok and she didn't do anything to hurt the team.
I guess it proves the point that one sees what they want to see.
What also amazes me is the contradiction to loving Geno, CD and the other coaches very high expectations and push for excellence which has made this program what it is, and the rationalizations and excuses for the way MW played.
By the way, I'm hardly negative, just realistic. She goes from a very good game where she's all over the floor scoring and rebounding to a game she does nothing. We are thirty something games in and she still struggles when teams don't play a fast paced game?
She has a huge amount of work to do on her game and self, physically and mentally, and that's why Geno doesn't trust her in big minutes.
The best case scenario for her this year is someone gets in foul trouble and she has to play, and gets out of her head, and just plays. I sure hope it doesn't come to that because I know almost all of you will be quite worried.
By the way I never said she's an average player.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I am pretty amazed that there are three comments on my "negative" post and two of them state she did ok and she didn't do anything to hurt the team.
I guess it proves the point that one sees what they want to see.
What also amazes me is the contradiction to loving Geno, CD and the other coaches very high expectations and push for excellence which has made this program what it is, and the rationalizations and excuses for the way MW played.
By the way, I'm hardly negative, just realistic. She goes from a very good game where she's all over the floor scoring and rebounding to a game she does nothing. We are thirty something games in and she still struggles when teams don't play a fast paced game?
She has a huge amount of work to do on her game and self, physically and mentally, and that's why Geno doesn't trust her in big minutes.
The best case scenario for her this year is someone gets in foul trouble and she has to play, and gets out of her head, and just plays. I sure hope it doesn't come to that because I know almost all of you will be quite worried.
By the way I never said she's an average player.
Bronx23
Curious post-we must be watching different teams. Against Quin., Walker's role appeared to be to work within the motion offense since they had 25-30 point lead. All through the year, when team needed her to score, she did.

Reaction Score
Yeh its crazy,there were all americans that didnt look very good in the game as well and yet Mw did nothing,wow

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Our bench looked like much earlier in the season and were completed disjointed and outplayed.
A small part of this was MW's very poor game, when so many of you annointed her AA or the next best thing to sliced bread off of last game against a #16 seed who played wide open ball. She seems to lose her composure against better players.
She started the fourth quarter so at least a few minutes were with most of our top six and she did nada.
As I've said quite a few times here, she very likely won't be a significant contributor this year and while hopefully she gets it and the light goes on, it's not guaranteed. I'm not convinced she will be more than a good contributor but never a major player on the team or in women's college basketball. I hope I'm wrong, but her strengths may not transfer well to the college game with better, stronger, faster players.Bronx23

It will be interesting to see how she plays next season if Ono and Williams press this season's freshmen for playing time. Geno may want to try to fast track Ono before Stevens moves on. Williams looks to have a type-A personality. At least that is what I see in her videos which I never saw in Walker's videos. I hope Walker blossoms next year because UCONN really needs her to play very well.

Reaction Score
Taking nothing away from the slow down factor and the lack of turnover leading to points, but Gabby and Crystal were on cautionary mode and you didn't see much energy from them. It makes sense to save their bodies for the bigger games.

Reaction Score
Actually that is a 6 possession difference. Steals are already incorporated into the turnover stat.
Overthinking. We lost the ball 10 more times than Q. Q was a wash (7-7=0), C is at -10 (3-13=-10). Not fuzzy at all. 0 +(-10) = ? A shockingly bad result.

Reaction Score
Overthinking. We lost the ball 10 more times than Q. Q was a wash (7-7=0), C is at -10 (3-13=-10). Not fuzzy at all. 0 +(-10) = ? A shockingly bad result.

You are wrong. UConn lost the ball SIX times more than Quinnipiac. The turnover category measures ALL of the times a team loses the ball. The difference was six. Your math uses double-counting.

Just to elaborate, the turnover category includes many types of turnovers, one of which is steals. No reason to add in steals since it is already included. Also the turnover category is the sum of steals, travels, double dribbles, passes thrown out of bounds, offensive fouls, three second violations, shot clock violations, and a few others. To treat steals any different than all of these other categories doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Curious post-we must be watching different teams. Against Quin., Walker's role appeared to be to work within the motion offense since they had 25-30 point lead. All through the year, when team needed her to score, she did.
If my post is curious, what is yours?
If we were talking about Kyla or Molly, then maybe that's their role and what they are capable of, but even for them I expect more.
Geno and U Conn have never been about just a motion offense because we have a 25-30 point lead.
We are talking about the top rated HS player, against a good well coached team but not with great athletes, and her role is surely not throwing up air balls & turning the ball over.
Also, all through the year when they needed her to score, she did? How often was that? And why then are we entering the Sweet Sixteen game and still essentially only playing six players, especially when a few of them could use a breather.
I don't care that much about her scoring, it's the overall quality of her play. Yes we are surely watching different players and games.
Unless she makes enormous improvements next year some of the freshman will play more than she does and have a bigger impact. SVCbeercats comments about CW style and approach may lead her to fit in more quickly and easily and partially take Kia's role. Ono and / or Ezi (if she comes), will more likely move into Gabbys role.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I like the idea of fast tracking ONO. Being Z's understudy will be good for her.

Reaction Score
I think that sometimes our players ability to make great passes cause them to sometimes try something that is even above & beyond what they are capable; those instances jump out at you when they work & don't work. I think that we tried to speed the game up last night & got pinched a couple of times on defense with back doors & on offense with trying to make super-precise passes...happens sometimes....

Reaction Score
Q had 7 steals and only 7 turnovers. We had only 3 steals and 13 turnovers. That’s a 10 possession difference. Can’t remember when we were ever crushed like this in the steals/turnover ratio. Props to Q.

"Only"? Really?

P.S. I thought UConn was "working on," or demonstrating that, they can score down low even when the defense is packing it in. There was some outside shooting, but there didnt seem to me to be an emphasis on that. So a different turnover stat than we are used to.

Reaction Score
The stat sheet in terms of turnovers doesn't reflect the numerous, wild, end of shot clock, desperation heaves that turned into uncontested rebounds for the Huskies

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Only 25 point win: Here's why

Sorry, as a Duke fan, I got excited when I saw the subject of this thread -- that UConn would only win by 25 points, given the average margin of defeat in the eight UConn-Duke games during the Coach P era at Duke has been approximately 28.6 points, with only one game being decided by less than 20 points.

@triaddukefan and I are hoping for a competitive game and that Duke puts up a respectable effort in what very, very likely will be the last games in the Duke careers of Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell.

Reaction Score
You are wrong. UConn lost the ball SIX times more than Quinnipiac. The turnover category measures ALL of the times a team loses the ball. The difference was six. Your math uses double-counting.

Just to elaborate, the turnover category includes many types of turnovers, one of which is steals. No reason to add in steals since it is already included. Also the turnover category is the sum of steals, travels, double dribbles, passes thrown out of bounds, offensive fouls, three second violations, shot clock violations, and a few others. To treat steals any different than all of these other categories doesn't make sense.

You are right, I retract my post.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry, as a Duke fan, I got excited when I saw the subject of this thread -- that UConn would only win by 25 points, given the average margin of defeat in the eight UConn-Duke games during the Coach P era at Duke has been approximately 28.6 points, with only one game being decided by less than 20 points.

@triaddukefan and I are hoping for a competitive game and that Duke puts up a respectable effort in what very, very likely will be the last games in the Duke careers of Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell.

Hopefully our graduate students will perform well on the big stage..... I would hate for them to go out on some 3-17 shooting type performance in their final college game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom