One thing we didn't consider about firing PP mid-season | The Boneyard

One thing we didn't consider about firing PP mid-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that if Weist starts winning football games, Warde will have his hands tied if he wanted to bring in his own guy. I know TJW is a guy that WM brought in, but I don't know if Warde pictured him as a coach-in-waiting. I actually trust Warde's football instincts very much, and I would love to see who he lands as our next HC without being pigeon-holed to TJW.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am sure WM thought about that before he named TJ. If he was concerned...then Hughes would be coach right now. I think that WM knows that this may happen...and he figures if TJ makes the decision tough on him...it's a win win. You can't not hire him because you are worried that it could make it tough to hire someone else if TJ does well. That would be very bad leadership.

Reaction Score
Is that if Weist starts winning football games, Warde will have his hands tied if he wanted to bring in his own guy. I know TJW is a guy that WM brought in, but I don't know if Warde pictured him as a coach-in-waiting. I actually trust Warde's football instincts very much, and I would love to see who he lands as our next HC without being pigeon-holed to TJW.

Based on the Burton thread, WM should have more concern about getting ---- holed by Burton.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If Weist starts winning football games, then what's the problem?

What...we're gonna go look for a new head coach to replace a winning interim one because his last name isn't sexy enough? Let me just say that I don't know how TJ is going to be as a head coach, and I don't know what that will mean for recruiting, etc. But if the man is doing the job well, there's no need to replace him...

Reaction Score

What...we're gonna go look for a new head coach to replace a winning interim one because his last name isn't s e xy enough? Let me just say that I don't know how TJ is going to be as a head coach, and I don't know what that will mean for recruiting, etc. But if the man is doing the job well, there's no need to replace him...

I understand, and I know it's a weird way of looking it it, but I'm hoping that Warde can bring in someone who is a more proven commodity. They don't have to be a sexy name, but I would like for it to be more intentionality in the hiring as opposed to an opportunity hire.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I understand, and I know it's a weird way of looking it it, but I'm hoping that Warde can bring in someone who is a more proven commodity. They don't have to be a s e xy name, but I would like for it to be more intentionality in the hiring as opposed to an opportunity hire.

Opportunity hires are sometimes the best ones you can have. And the only reason I'm arguing is based on the original premise of what someone should do if he's winning. Well, again, I don't know if TJ is going to be able to handle the job or be successful at all of the aspects of the job, but it seems to me that what UConn wants (needs!) is a winning coach. It doesn't matter to me if we intended it or not, so long as it's happening.

And keep in mind...some would argue that TJ's arrival on the coaching staff was very, very intentional...

Reaction Score
Opportunity hires are sometimes the best ones you can have. And the only reason I'm arguing is based on the original premise of what someone should do if he's winning. Well, again, I don't know if TJ is going to be able to handle the job or be successful at all of the aspects of the job, but it seems to me that what UConn wants (needs!) is a winning coach. It doesn't matter to me if we intended it or not, so long as it's happening.

And keep in mind...some would argue that TJ's arrival on the coaching staff was very, very intentional...

True. Well I'm hoping for the best. I've been watching some videos of Weist in action as coach and I think I could rally around this guy. Hopefully he can win games and turn into a gem of a hire for UConn.

Reaction Score

This is like worrying about having too much money.

UCONN has never won more than 5 conference games, if TJ can win 6, we hold on to him like a life raft and celebrate when he signs on long term. If he wins 5 and the players love him and want him back and everyone is happy, you don't throw him away just to take a chance on someone else because as we all know having a long track record doesn't guarantee anything.

When Ollie stepped up to the plate he inherited a 3 - 0 count, Weist is stepping up to the plate and the count is already no balls and two strikes, but we should all be hoping he knocks it out of the park.

Reaction Score
If TJ can get the job done, God bless him and he deserves a shot to be the HC. This a win win for UConn. TJ is motivated to prove himself, and frankly he's already established a level command, presence and professionalism that creates some hope. He has a tall order to fill, and there is no better way to assess capability than trying to clean up the show PPGDL created.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The other thing to consider is that he fits the bill for the type of coach that we will be looking for in the future (even in Burton's view as well):

1) Younger
2) Energetic
3) Proven assistant
4) Good recruiter

Well, he's already got 3 of 4 down, and I'm guessing he's at least adequate at #4. If he can handle the x's and 0's, then we've just found our guy...

Reaction Score
The other thing to consider is that he fits the bill for the type of coach that we will be looking for in the future (even in Burton's view as well):

1) Younger
2) Energetic
3) Proven assistant
4) Good recruiter

Well, he's already got 3 of 4 down, and I'm guessing he's at least adequate at #4. If he can handle the x's and 0's, then we've just found our guy...

Speaking of # 4 I have always suspected that we got Lemelle because of Weist, the timing of him appearing on our radar coincided with TJ getting hired.

Reaction Score
Speaking of # 4 I have always suspected that we got Lemelle because of Weist, the timing of him appearing on our radar coincided with TJ getting hired.

TJW was Lemelle's recruiter when he was @ Cincy. TJ also opens up areas that we have nor been overly strong in.

Edit: Hank Hughes was on him from UConn end. TJW got UConn job on 1/22 - BL committed on 1/26. :)

Reaction Score
TJ Weist knows how to say all the right things. Incredibly intelligent man. And he played under Bear Bryant. That can even be a selling point in itself.

Reaction Score

What...we're gonna go look for a new head coach to replace a winning interim one because his last name isn't s e xy enough? Let me just say that I don't know how TJ is going to be as a head coach, and I don't know what that will mean for recruiting, etc. But if the man is doing the job well, there's no need to replace him...
U just saying that because he used your quote?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
U just saying that because he used your quote?

You're damned right, that's the reason! Any man that recognizes talent in his surrounding area that quickly has my vote... ;)

( Seriously though...TJ...I would appreciate you throw me a Husky Bone and just say something like, "In the immortal words of UConnDan97, we are gonna punch them in the mouth....dot,dot,dot...")

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How many wins do you guys think it'd take for Weist to get the job? I say 6 guarantees it...5 makes it interesting

That's a real good question. If he goes 5 out of 8 down the stretch, especially with Louisville, UCF, Cincy, and Rutty on the schedule, you would have to like his chances. I think that would mean that the fanbase would be pleased with the direction this thing was going, and the question would be how he handles the recruiting class.

If he wins 6, I agree with you that he's an absolute lock. Getting an 0-4 team to a bowl game by switching blocking styles, motivating kids who were down and out, and re-igniting the stadium? Absolute lock...

Reaction Score
TJ Weist knows how to say all the right things. Incredibly intelligent man. And he played under Bear Bryant. That can even be a selling point in itself.

TJW didn't play for Bear Bryant. The Bear had already retired by the time TJ got there. I'm stunned - the history major gets an F ;)

Reaction Score
That's a real good question. If he goes 5 out of 8 down the stretch, especially with Louisville, UCF, Cincy, and Rutty on the schedule, you would have to like his chances. I think that would mean that the fanbase would be pleased with the direction this thing was going, and the question would be how he handles the recruiting class.

If he wins 6, I agree with you that he's an absolute lock. Getting an 0-4 team to a bowl game by switching blocking styles, motivating kids who were down and out, and re-igniting the stadium? Absolute lock...

Wins can be deceiving. I think if he wins the ones he supposed to, i.e., USF, Temple, Memphis, picks off a game he shouldn't have, goes 4-4 with a very obvious improvement in offense, defense, special teams and a recruiting buzz that keeps a vast majority of commits, he gets a big shot at the job.

But I think he has to really nail it or Warde goes for a Mich St kind of guy and opens the wallet.

That said, if he gets the offense going he has a strong chance of keeping his job here and the rest are gone.

He has talent for sure.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wins can be deceiving. I think if he wins the ones he supposed to, i.e., USF, Temple, Memphis, picks off a game he shouldn't have, goes 4-4 with a very obvious improvement in offense, defense, special teams and a recruiting buzz that keeps a vast majority of commits, he gets a big shot at the job.

But I think he has to really nail it or Warde goes for a Mich St kind of guy and opens the wallet.

That said, if he gets the offense going he has a strong chance of keeping his job here and the rest are gone.

He has talent for sure.

Do you think the rest of the staff would be gone if he gets everything going? It would essentially mean that he would get rid of what's working. I don't think that would happen.

As for the talent, I agree. It's there. Now it's time to use it...

Reaction Score
Another thing that is boosting my confidence in TJW is the markedly improved WR play this year given his role as WR coach. It shows that he can make an impact and knows how to maximize his players. Too bad that hasn't rubbed off on the rest of the offense.

Reaction Score
TJW didn't play for Bear Bryant. The Bear had already retired by the time TJ got there. I'm stunned - the history major gets an F ;)
Whoops. It's all good, I can live with making mistakes. :eek:

Thank you for correcting me!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I want Weist to start winning games, I would love for him to win the next head coaching position

Reaction Score

WM proved already with the hockey hire that just because Weist might win, doesn't mean he will be our HC next year. Anyone who has followed the hockey program, knows he made a very difficult decision, but in the end the right decision to go with Cavanaugh. That decision included taking him over a very "sexy" name (one with multiple national championships to his credit).

Reaction Score
The guy's been in the chair less than 24 hours; has never been a HC; rarely been a coordinator; and we're wondering how many wins to make him permanent? really? In that case, I say 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom