One Thing I Noticed Last Night | The Boneyard

One Thing I Noticed Last Night

Reaction Score
Last few years our teams (some players) have had a hard time catching passes, and in general holding onto the ball when rebounding on both ends of the court. These new players seem to have very good hands. They touch the ball and they usually hold on to it or at least they did last night. Seems like a small deal but if it continues it will make a big difference. I don’t think it’s something that can be taught, you either have the hand strength or not.

Reaction Score
Last few years our teams (some players) have had a hard time catching passes, and in general holding onto the ball when rebounding on both ends of the court. These new players seem to have very good hands. They touch the ball and they usually hold on to it or at least they did last night. Seems like a small deal but if it continues it will make a big difference. I don’t think it’s something that can be taught, you either have the hand strength or not.

Hand strength can absolutely be built up by working on it. Squeeze rubber ballls all day and climb ropes.

Reaction Score
It's not strength, an instinctive ability to more less absorb the ball. It's almost like it sticks to your hands. Can be refined with drills but basically a trait you're born with. The mind set becomes: this is my ball!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's not strength, an instinctive ability to more less absorb the ball. It's almost like it sticks to your hands. Can be refined with drills but basically a trait you're born with. The mind set becomes: this is my ball!
Exactly. Strength comes into play wrestling a rebound away from an opponent, but not in simple rebounding, catching passes, and passing accurately. That’s not strong hands, that’s just hands.

Reaction Score
DHam’s hands were like flypaper coated, ball just stuck there.

Reaction Score
I also noticed free throws going in. The reason I noticed was that we were able to keep our lead.

With free throws the level of opponent doesn't matter unless they don't foul.
>95%i think

pj

Reaction Score

That fine motor control can also be built with practice. When John Madden was coaching the Oakland Raiders with Hall of Fame receiver Fred Biletnikoff, he said Biletnikoff was convinced it wasn't good enough to catch the ball, you had to catch the ball soundlessly, and he would demand extra practice from QBs so he could learn how to catch soundlessly on any throw. Sort of lack catching an egg toss, you cushion the catch with soft hands and flexible arms, then grasp firmly at the right moment. It takes some practice and concentration and you have to build up the neural circuits / mental map. It is primarily neural training, like learning to draw or write in cursive. Top end potential is surely genetic but learning/training can help players reach their potential.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I also noticed free throws going in. The reason I noticed was that we were able to keep our lead.

With free throws the level of opponent doesn't matter unless they don't foul.
Not just going in but getting to the line itself.

How many players on last years team were deathly afraid of getting hit while going to the hoop?

Reaction Score
That fine motor control can also be built with practice. When John Madden was coaching the Oakland Raiders with Hall of Fame receiver Fred Biletnikoff, he said Biletnikoff was convinced it wasn't good enough to catch the ball, you had to catch the ball soundlessly, and he would demand extra practice from QBs so he could learn how to catch soundlessly on any throw. Sort of lack catching an egg toss, you cushion the catch with soft hands and flexible arms, then grasp firmly at the right moment. It takes some practice and concentration and you have to build up the neural circuits / mental map. It is primarily neural training, like learning to draw or write in cursive. Top end potential is surely genetic but learning/training can help players reach their potential.

Maybe a chosen few but it's all about natural ability. If you can't catch when playing in HS it's not going to get a lot better. Heck I would go as far as saying watch a kid when he's 12-14 you will know if he's going to have good hands or not.

And unlike Biletnikoff they couldn't give globs of stick'em to AB to ensure him to catch the passes.:D

Another ability which is missed by many is the rebounders ability to flick rebounds out of a crowd to a spot where they can gain possession. Cobb did it the other night it's a natural instinct that is small but huge and it's all about the hands. Jay Murphy throughout college at BC had to do that as he wasn't strong enough to battle in the crowds but was real good at using his length and hands to find a way to gather in a rebound, this was one way.

Reaction Score
Biletnikoff wasn't that big a user of stick'em.

Lester -the molester- Hayes was the guy who used to put it all over his hands, arms and uniform.

Fred may have used it. Many, many did. But Fred caught the ball pretty naturally. But his most amazing ability was keeping his feet inbounds on the sideline. Best feet in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom