One thing I don’t want to see here… | The Boneyard

One thing I don’t want to see here…

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Junk from Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, other social media or any of the crowing from other fan boards. Don’t bring it here.

Anyone that revels in the misery of a team that wasn’t able to overcome so many obstacles for one night…well, that says a lot more about them than it does our Huskies. Leave the ramblings of those miserable excuses for human beings where you find them.

Reaction Score
As long as you opened the thread . . .

One thing I don't want to hear anymore is hubris from our BYers. Enough with the ridiculous promises that after SC, we're going to "run the table." The days when home teams in the BE lie down and die when UConn comes to town are over.

And in our prognostications, enough with automatically checking the UConn box for advantage in coaching. Geno and his staff are still the best, but there are some very good coaches in the BE (something Geno himself takes pride in), and they're no dummies. They scout us, they watch videos of our games, they know our vulnerabilities, and they work hard on a game plan to exploit those vulnerabilities. That was evident last night.

How many times our guys worked so hard on a full 30-second defensive set, only to have Marquette score at the shot buzzer. That took a lot out of us, and tired us out (physically and mentally) for the offensive set to follow. Their defense was fantastic, totally neutralizing Lou (the word is getting around that the best way to cover her is with wallpaper). And this was the third sub-par game for Aaliyah in the last four. These are highly talented players we have, but spirited defense is wearing them out.

And for the armchair coaches among us, enough with the generous advice that greater utilization of our 3-man bench is our salvation. The dropoff in proficiency, when we go to the bench, is dramatic, and just puts more pressure on the other 4 (or 3) starters on the court. That showed last night, too.

We've got some tough games coming up -- notably Feb. 18 at Villanova -- which means winning the BE is not necessarily a given. And the three consecutive days of the BE tourney could be a huge challenge, even if Caroline and Azzi are back (but possibly not quite up to speed). This could be a tense and exciting finish to the BE season, for a change. Our players and our coaches are going to be tested. One thing they will have to work on is somehow fixing our 2nd Q blues.

Incidentally, a few times during the 4th Q TOs, Jammelle had Geno by the shoulders, talking to him nose-to-nose. Any idea what that was all about?

Reaction Score
OldSchooler, great observation on Marquette’s use of the shot clock. Kept Uconn on defense for extended periods, which is much more tiring and draining than offense. Duffy is one really good coach.
I've been saying it since she got to Marquette. I'd like to see what she'd do with top 5-10 level talent. Still can't believe ND bypassed her.

JBK

Reaction Score
Junk from Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, other social media or any of the crowing from other fan boards. Don’t bring it here.

Anyone that revels in the misery of a team that wasn’t able to overcome so many obstacles for one night…well, that says a lot more about them than it does our Huskies. Leave the ramblings of those miserable excuses for human beings where you find them.
Agree
Good messages come out of a loss. Everyone in the sports world now realizes UCONN has not lost 2 games consecutively in 30 years. Wow
That is incredible and may never be duplicated
It is a better story when our 2 injured players return and help us get back to the final four.

Reaction Score

I can be critical at times, within the context of games, but I have nothing but overwhelming respect for the warriors that make up this team, and believe me, I don’t use that term lightly. From my perspective this is what they have EARNED from Uconn fans.

Reaction Score

Amen.

Reaction Score
As an aside, for Dylan fans, the third singer in the above video, Clarence Bekker, and the gentleman who plays the short slide guitar solo, Robert Luti, do an incredible version of “I Shall Be Released” for the same Playing For Change series.

Reaction Score
As an aside, for Dylan fans, the third singer in the above video, Clarence Bekker, and the gentleman who plays the short slide guitar solo, Robert Luti, do an incredible version of “I Shall Be Released” for the same Playing For Change series.
Good song for this season's injury challenges...

Reaction Score

One thing I don't want to hear anymore is hubris from our BYers. Enough with the ridiculous promises that after SC, we're going to "run the table." The days when home teams in the BE lie down and die when UConn comes to town are over.

And in our prognostications, enough with automatically checking the UConn box for advantage in coaching. Geno and his staff are still the best, but there are some very good coaches in the BE (something Geno himself takes pride in), and they're no dummies. They scout us, they watch videos of our games, they know our vulnerabilities, and they work hard on a game plan to exploit those vulnerabilities. That was evident last night.

How many times our guys worked so hard on a full 30-second defensive set, only to have Marquette score at the shot buzzer. That took a lot out of us, and tired us out (physically and mentally) for the offensive set to follow. Their defense was fantastic, totally neutralizing Lou (the word is getting around that the best way to cover her is with wallpaper). And this was the third sub-par game for Aaliyah in the last four. These are highly talented players we have, but spirited defense is wearing them out.

And for the armchair coaches among us, enough with the generous advice that greater utilization of our 3-man bench is our salvation. The dropoff in proficiency, when we go to the bench, is dramatic, and just puts more pressure on the other 4 (or 3) starters on the court. That showed last night, too.

We've got some tough games coming up -- notably Feb. 18 at Villanova -- which means winning the BE is not necessarily a given. And the three consecutive days of the BE tourney could be a huge challenge, even if Caroline and Azzi are back (but possibly not quite up to speed). This could be a tense and exciting finish to the BE season, for a change. Our players and our coaches are going to be tested. One thing they will have to work on is somehow fixing our 2nd Q blues.

Incidentally, a few times during the 4th Q TOs, Jammelle had Geno by the shoulders, talking to him nose-to-nose. Any idea what that was all about?
My interpretation is he was getting so upset she was trying to calm him down.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've been saying it since she got to Marquette. I'd like to see what she'd do with top 5-10 level talent. Still can't believe ND bypassed her.
I can. The HC position was probably promised to her years before, whenever Muffet decided to step down. No doubt Ivey was rewarded for her faithfulness and loyalty.

Reaction Score
I can. The HC position was probably promised to her years before, whenever Muffet decided to step down. No doubt Ivey was rewarded for her faithfulness and loyalty.
Could be but I think it was a mistake. JMO.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have only been a Boneyarder since Jan 2015, a much shorter time than many of you. But it's long enough to know what comes after a UConn loss. While I'm ALWAYS interested in what my fellow yarders are thinking, some can be extremely judgemental after a loss, any loss.
I have not read any of the post-game posts here. Don't need to. I feel bad enough that we lost. I don't want to compound it by reading about it. I didn't see the game. I had another commitment that evening, I was able to listen to it though. Bob Joyce is a very good announcer. He painted an accurate picture of the action on the court.

I thought it was only a matter of time before playing the starters 37+ minutes a game would catch up with them, it had to. Those of you that saw the game know who did or didn't do what. I'm not pointing any fingers or condemning those that did/do. I knew what was coming so I chose not to read about it. Judging from the post that Emery wrote, some of it must have been pretty bad. Let's hope they can turn this thing around Saturday at Georgetown. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't follow that program. You could be right. You know how those things work. A former player who comes back and is loyal and faithful to the head coach. If Ivey paid her "dues", why not? Isn't that how Holly Warlick accended to the HC position? The fan base quickly turned on Holly and ran her out of town.

If Ivey doesn't turn things around quickly, no doubt she'll be shown that same path out of town. ND fans won't tolerate losing or mediocracy. I don't know if UT ever seriously thought about interviewing Kara Lawson or offering her the position. She sure has Duke on the right track. It's possible Lawson was not interested in that position. She sure looks like a great fit for that program. She's a good recruiter, and players want to play for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ivey was coaching in the NBA. She is not chopped liver.

Reaction Score

Why would Optimism, or "Hubris" as you called it, bother you. And why are you allowed to proclaim that Geno, et al, are the best, but others aren't allowed to express their opinion, the way you did on these and other topics. This, and all similar forums are a place for discussion, which takes place because of opinions -- many opinions; not just one. We're all fans too.

Reaction Score
Agree
Good messages come out of a loss. Everyone in the sports world now realizes UCONN has not lost 2 games consecutively in 30 years. Wow
That is incredible and may never be duplicated
It is a better story when our 2 injured players return and help us get back to the final four.
Let's hope no one finds out when we last lost three in a row. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
No argument here. I have zero interest in that program. Who would you have prefered to see them hire?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No argument here. I have zero interest in that program. Who would you have prefered to see them hire?
Duffy. Nothing against Ivey, she’s a good coach. I just think that Duffy is an exceptional communicator and strategist and with the recruiting advantages and I assume, a larger program budget at ND, she would have been an outstanding hire there. @Dillon77 would know more about the budget than I. And as you may already know, Duffy is also a former ND player.

Reaction Score
Beth Cunningham was certainly taken aback by the move. I think Notre Dame did what colleges do these days in terms of succumbing to what outside forces almost demand, MHO…

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Duffy. Nothing against Ivey, she’s a good coach. I just think that Duffy is an exceptional communicator and strategist and with the recruiting advantages and I assume, a larger program budget at ND, she would have been an outstanding hire there. @Dillon77 would know more about the budget than I. And as you may already know, Duffy is also a former ND player.
Beth Cunningham was certainly taken aback by the move. I think Notre Dame did what colleges do these days in terms of succumbing to what outside forces almost demand, MHO…

Well, this is a subject that was certainly discussed on McGraw's Bench in excruciating detail...and for quite some time

it was always thought that Coach Ivey was the presumed favorite. However, many -- myself included -- hoped Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick would -- at least -- interview former Notre Dame players (turned coaches) Beth Morgan Cunningham (who was on staff) and Megan Duffy. (I would've loved at least candidate from outside, as well, to gain some possible external perspective, but that may be my corporate background.)

Didn't happen. Swarbrick claimed he had Ivey in mind from a few years before MM hung up the whistle and he moved decisively and quickly. Many felt Muffet had an outsized influence on this (she and Ivey are exceedingly tight), but Swarbrick claimed this was his decision.

In any case, Niele has brought in her own players to pursue the type of ball she wants to play, which includes more individual attacking, read and react and tougher defense. There was some player turnover, for sure, but she augmented the leaving with bringing in folks she knew from initial High School recruiting (Dara Mabrey, Maya Dodson, Kylee Watson and Jenna Brown). And she has gone over select types of players; most notably, Olivia Miles, Sonia Citron, Cassandre Prosper, Hannah Hidalgo and Emma Risch.

ND thinks the world of Duffy. Muffet strongly backed her going after the Marquette job and probably picked up the phone on her behalf (the Marquette AD, conveniently, is a former associate athletic director under Swarbrick).

Remember, Niele had no head coaching experience and some aspects of that showed in the beginning, from communications to late game management. But it's obvious she's a fast learner and keeps a calm, yet decisive demeanor on the sideline. We all hope she and the team continue to improve. With Hidalgo and Risch joining Miles, Citron, Maddy Westbeld, KK Bransford and Prosper next year, it looks good.

However, if it doesn't and/or she's lured back to the pro ranks, I can bet Swarbrick will place a call to Milwaukee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good song for this season's injury challenges...

You're broken down and tired
Of living life on a merry go round…

And I'll rise up
I'll rise like the day
I'll rise up
I'll rise unafraid
I'll rise up
And I'll do it a thousand times again
And I'll rise up
High like the waves
I'll rise up
In spite of the ache